THE STORY

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
brentsboats
Motorcycle: may 2015
Sold 82 gl1100 Sold 2002 vulcan nomad ,now have 86 gl1200 and 94 gl1500 work in progress

THE STORY

Postby brentsboats » Fri May 08, 2015 4:40 am

Well i promised you people a story ,so here it goes . But first let me say that i still have my 86 wing ,therefore i still should be able to use this forum with out breaking any laws ,even if i did go out and buy myself a very nice 2002 Vulcan Nomad . Right ? So anyway ,The Nomad was located in Binghamton Ny and from my house and according to map quest this should only be a 3/1/2 hr ride via Mass Pike and Ny i 90 .About 236 miles give or take a mile or 2. But i have a plan to save some time and money for tolls by taken the old roads up and threw rt 2 and rt 7 Via the Mohawk Trail that leads into Troy Ny and from there a easy get on the hiway 87 west .Right ? WRONG !!! What i nightmare the old roads turned out to be .All tore up from Florida Mass and all the way into Troy Ny . I thought my old dodge van was going to bust apart while driving these roads and then never mind about all the detours that are all around Troy and beyond. By the time i found Rt 87 west i was a wreck and burnt out from dodging the potholes and construction sites and this had already used up 3hrs of the 3/1/2 that it was supposed to take for the whole trip . Now that i had reached 87 west there was still 190 more miles to go ,OH BOY ! . As we reached the halfway point the gps insisted that there was only 12 more miles to go and that i need to take the next exit .I knew this not to be true so i finaly shut her up by shutting her off .Sure glad i dont have to deal with a real woman cause i know they dont have a off button . We made it to where the bike was and i was never so glad to lay my eyes upon her . Stunning i must admit . I did not even wait to hear her run ,i just pulled the cash out of my pocket and gladly paid for the bike of my dreams .By this time my body was shaken and my brain was dead tired from the long drive and i had quite enough of being on the road .So i asked if there was a motel 6 near by ? Sure enough just up the road and with a few turns ull be right there .no problem . Well after looking around for another half hour there she was ,Motel 6 with a big sigh that said parking right here . I stepped off my now new used bike and my buddy gary was close behind with the van .I stumbled into and up to the front desk and asked if they had any rooms . Yeb was the answer and i said sigh me in . Room with 2 beds please .Then came the shocker .Sir that will be $165.00 .how would you like to pay for this ? I was stunned to say the least but to tired to say another word so i just pulled out the visa and got the key cards .Then the dude said something about needing a deposit to cover the room for any damage that might be incurred . I simply gave him a dirty look and went upon my way and up to the 4th floor . We had parked the bike and the van out back where i could get a birds eye view from the 4th floor window .All i could think about was how easy it would be for someone to grab the bike and shove it in the back of a pickup while i lay asleep .But after a few beers the fears went away and i just stood at the window looking down at my new beast .Ahh ! Life is good . Then i see a sigh that reads ,Motel 6 turn here . I look again at the sigh and then off to the left and what do you think i see .Thats right ! A motel 6 . With a big entrance that i now know i did not use .I look around the room and on the little desk i read a note that says WELCOME TO COMFORT INN . I could not believe what i had done .
I called up the Motel 6 to see if they had any rooms and if yes ,how much ? $65.00 iam told .So the next morning Gary and i ate $100.00 worth of breakfast and emptied out the little fridge that was full of fruits and stuff for our trip back .Best damm Breakfast i ever did have . And my bike was still there to ride home .
Attachments

Thanks For Reading
Brent
http://www.sunkboat.com

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Re: THE STORY

Postby CMReynolds1 » Fri May 08, 2015 8:25 am

Nice story! Sounds like the mistake I would make. But now you have to update the list of bikes on your site, add the Nomad. By the way it looks super!
Attachments
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Postby made2care » Fri May 08, 2015 10:45 am

Great story and great bike.
Here's my Vulcan 1500 drifter that I'm preparing for a trip. I put a hd tourpac on the rear luggage rack, bought some saddlebags and just need to attach windshield.
But, have to wait for my leg to heal. Tore my calf muscle playing tennis, which is a definite sign of old age.
Enjoy your Vulcan, they are amazing bikes.
Attachments

brentsboats
Sold 82 gl1100 Sold 2002 vulcan nomad ,now have 86 gl1200 and 94 gl1500 work in progress

Postby brentsboats » Fri May 08, 2015 11:14 am

Still looking for a way to quiet her down ? Without using brillo pads
Thanks For Reading
Brent

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri May 08, 2015 10:43 pm

Your Story demonstrates how "tired" works to fudge the brain. Now if you are looking for something to drown out the exhaust noise, all you need is a nagger on the back, male or female, then you can always say that you cannot hear them because of the exhaust noise! :lol:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Fri May 08, 2015 11:14 pm

I would recommend stainless steel monel wool. As its name says it is stainless steel, so no rust. However, it is not cheap. Check Grainger or McMaster-Carr online. I think either carry it. It would work excellently. I used in my last job to tone deep sink drain splash and noise. I know if you saw it you would most likely like it.
Attachments
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat May 09, 2015 4:31 am

CMReynolds1 wrote:I would recommend stainless steel monel wool.

I do believe he use the term "Brillo Pad" in a generic term.
Sounds like he don't want ANYTHING stuffed up his bu... pipe. ;)

As for the road trip story. Nice one by the way. I had a vaguely similar thing happen, being SO-so tired.

Gave up looking for someplace to lay my head other than the back of the van and pulled into this 1/2 dark looking motel. A 5 yo little east indian girl was behind the counter and I asked for a room. In deep indian slang she yelled for her dad. (yah, yellow flag #2).
Got the room but before getting filling out the paperwork I over heard the dad say to the girl, Hurry, hurry, go look the room over and clean it up (or something like that) she skooted off. Several Blah-blah yadas-yadas later, he killed time, I look the room over and was clean enough, no bug dropping in the corners. Well she wanted to empty the van, I said NO! we will after dinner. She said why? I said you'll see. Out the parking lot we go and I did a U-turn just out of site and parked watching our rooms door. Sure nuff, that dude went in and took maybe 30 seconds to exit. She said looks like he's double checking to make sure it's clean. I raised my eyes, shook my head and just said no, I don't think so.
So we returned and I immediately look at the 2 night stand drawers and the closet. SURE NUFF, all 3 pieces of paper were on the floor. (DANG THIEFS!) But this time they got nothing since I didn't unload the van.

SOME PLACES you just know what not to do. The best part was.... she never questioned me again. HOO-AHH! :P

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sat May 09, 2015 10:39 am

I dug having my vulcan 1500 88, would go back to a nomad for sure though.....2 bikes in the barn? Ya know, not a bad thought, lol. Nice rides to the both of you....makes the itch occur again. Damn bikes, what a hobby.

brentsboats

Postby brentsboats » Sat May 09, 2015 11:22 pm

I might have found the answer to the loud pipes ..I was in contact with some great guys at Smartpartz.com .

They called me up, and over the phone and explained to me everything i did not want to hear about my Cobra pipes ,LIke how the baffles that are in there now are never ment to come out .Thats why there is a tack weld on the end of each baffle. He then went on to tell me all about how some guys would get in there with a hole saw and make a go of cutting away the weld .But in most cases it just made things worse . Then he said that they have a answer to my overly loud cobra pipes .And the answer was and is real simple .They make a baffle extention that goes in part of the old and screws into it with ease . And he claims it should knock out the sound pertty good but still give that nice sound that we all like to hear with out breaking ur ear drums So for $65.00 a pair ,ill try anything once .Stay tuned for updates kids .. And i just want to add ,i took the gl1200 out last night for a spin around the block .. She was only running on 3 cly. Same thing happened last year with my gl1100 and i bought 2 sets of coils for her .So today i was able to change out one of the coils on the 1200 and she never ran better .. The bog at take off was even gone and i thought it was a carb problem all this time .Just goes to show you ,never hurts to carrry a spare , of anything , bikes too .
Thanks For Reading
Brent

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sun May 10, 2015 4:28 am

It's a good thing that you have a mfg. solution.
It's been a very long time since I seen anything Cobra (pipes), mainly due to there higher costs, I just turn the page.
I vaguely remember, the extensions might look a little like the RatTrap stacks.
But hey, hopefully they'll sound good to your ear.

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”