poor boy conversion

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

poor boy conversion

Postby made2care » Sat May 09, 2015 3:37 pm

I haven't been to work in a week due to a torn calf muscle. Tend to get online and read. Now I'm paranoid about the stator on my 1200.
I checked the output, hope i did it right, just probed the 3 yellow wires and the output was normal. I am planning a long trip this summer (once the calf heals of course) and further reading of this topic lends me to believe that the stator will eventually fail, statistically speaking, the odds are in favor of this.
Whats my point here? She has 96000 miles, is there any way i can tell if the stator has been replaced?
Some have suggested cutting off the 3 prong plug and just soldering those yellow wires together, so i will do that. Further reading has enlightened me that Honda had a recall on these stators, since these tend to overheat thus compromising the charging system.
I guess I would like to know if you would consider the "poorboy alternator conversion", or maybe you have already done this. The most logical thing for me to choose would be just taking a battery charger with me in case anything happens to the stator, but the preventative side of me wants to do the conversion.
What would you do?

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: poor boy conversion

Postby bustedwing » Sat May 09, 2015 4:48 pm

If Honda did a recall repair on your bike their would be a stamp on the frame. If not, then you can do the repair yourself, or convert to the alternator. All of this has been gone over in other areas of this blog.
Proud member Patriot Guard

wlkjr
Motorcycle: 1987GL1200I
Previously owned:
1983 750 Sabre
1980 CB750
1975 CB750
1973 CL350

Postby wlkjr » Sat May 09, 2015 6:15 pm

I had mine replaced in '92 just before the 5 year extended warranty expired. Honda warrantied the stator for 5 years, apparently because they were going bad. It still cost me just over $100 for related parts that had to be replaced, but that's much better than paying for the whole thing.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun May 10, 2015 1:13 am

The stock charging system on the 1200 puts out a total of 360 watts of power or 26 amps at 13.5 volts , the bike uses about 220 watts or 16 amps just to run. If you want to add any extra lights or heated gear you will use up those precious watts/amps in a hurry. It is always a good idea to keep 10% of your charging system in reserve for topping off the battery at all times,further cutting into your limited power supply.
360 total watts
-220 for lights and ignition
-36 for reserve(minimum)
Leaves 104 watts for any added electrical load. Thats not enough to add a pair of driving lights and you have over taxed the charging system.
Poor boy conversion with a 55 amp alternator will give you 750watts or more than twice the power available. Thats enough juice to run 2 sets of driving lights plus a heated vest, plus heated grips , the stereo and the rest of the bike with watts to spare. Heres the best part. If you do the conversion now with a functioning stock charging system, ylu just unplug the stock reg/rectifier and use it as a back up system if you ever have a problem with the poorboy conversion. Say you break a belt or the brushes wear down and the alternator quits charging in the middle of nowhere. Simply plug in the old reg/rectifier and off you go until you can repair/replace the alternator. 20 minutes and you are back on the road again with no money out of pocket.
Plan B would be for you to cut out the plug on the 3 yellow wires, replace all 1157 and 1156 incandescent bulbs with LED versions to free up some watts and keep you fingers crossed that you dont loose your charging system in the middle of the trip.
Yes
I am a little biased toward the conversion as you may have noticed and with good reason. 8-) -
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Postby made2care » Sun May 10, 2015 6:24 am

Now this is why i like this forum, Roadrogue, excellent advise that i was looking for. Thank you, this gives me piece of mind :D

Return to “Goldwing Chat”