BAD DAY ON THE DRAGON

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

BAD DAY ON THE DRAGON

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sat May 09, 2015 5:55 pm

well, i thought it would be nice to take a ride up and down the dragon's tail today, but i was very much mistaken. first off, i almost got hit by a tractor trailer that shouldn't even have been on there when its posted "NO VEHICLES OVER 30FT", luckily i was able to scramble onto a "pull-off" before i found myself under it. scared the living hell outta me. then as i was going along, minding my own business, some jackass in a Porsche came up behind me and almost pushed me off the road, again, i was lucky there was another "pull-off about 25 yards up the road, so again i managed to get to it before he hit me from behind, only problem is when i got onto the "pull-off" my bike slid on some gravel just as i was stopping and the bike tipped over onto its left floorboard and i couldn't hang onto it to keep it from falling all the way over. after trying to pick the bike back up and hurting my back, a few bikers came along and helped me pick the bike back up because i couldn't do it by myself. now i have to straighten out my left side floorboard and shifter which is bent up and hitting the side of the motor. my back on the other hand is gonna take a few days to mend. i think i pulled a muscle in the lower left side of my back from trying to hold the bike up so it wouldn't fall over. guess im gonna be riding my bike for a week or so until my back heals up :cry:.

stuart.

wlkjr
Motorcycle: 1987GL1200I
Previously owned:
1983 750 Sabre
1980 CB750
1975 CB750
1973 CL350

Re: BAD DAY ON THE DRAGON

Postby wlkjr » Sat May 09, 2015 6:07 pm

Sorry to hear about your spoiled outing. Lesson I learned a long time ago is this; if the bike wants to go down it will, so I just let it down easy as possible. Much easier if you don't strain anything and it my age, everything strains. :lol:

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sat May 09, 2015 6:45 pm

hey wlkjr, thanks, i was hoping against hope that i could manage to stop the bike from going over, but i guess it wasn't meant to be. its just after i put all this time and work into it this past month, repainting, pin striping, pulling the motor to put in a new stator, timing belts and clutch, i really didn't want to let the bike go over. other than my back getting hurt and having to need help lifting it back upright, my pride is more hurt than anything else. im just glad i didn't get hurt worse than i did. had i been going any faster, i could have gone off the road and down the side of the mountain, been very seriously injured and not been found for God knows how long. i think at OUR age, (i'll be 61 next month) like you said, everything strains lol.

stuart.

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sat May 09, 2015 8:46 pm

Why did you pull off the road for the Porsche - not saying it was the wrong decision - I would have kept riding and when I was ready indicate I was pulling over - and do it at my pace- not by someone shoving you along from behind.

I hate people tail gating me as well - but I usually use my left hand to display a "push backwards" towards them. Hopefully most get the hint and back off a little bit - if they don't then just slow down - not slamming on brakes - but drop a gear and be ready and let them pass and watch them carefully as they come back in front.

Also sorry to hear you dropped it - getting old is hard - I turned 61 last month - more muscle strains getting out of bed and walking around - let alone trying to pick up a Goldwing.. :)

Breakdancer
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 Aspencade

Postby Breakdancer » Sat May 09, 2015 8:47 pm

Holy cats Stuart, glad things are not worse!! We don't want to see you flying over any edge... :shock: Aside from a few glitches, I hope you enjoyed yourself after putting in all that hard work on your ride. :D
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat May 09, 2015 9:53 pm

Strains are a pain. They do not want to get better, and the older we are (every day I get older), the more time it seems to take. But it is good to hear that you survived with only some muscle strain. It is a shame that your fresh GW got some damage, but hey, what else were you going to do? Get well, and look back on the incident as a lesson learned, remembered, and put into the experience bucket.

Stay safe, and keep smiling.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sun May 10, 2015 7:06 am

Aussie81Interstate wrote:Why did you pull off the road for the Porsche - not saying it was the wrong decision - I would have kept riding and when I was ready indicate I was pulling over - and do it at my pace- not by someone shoving you along from behind.

I hate people tail gating me as well - but I usually use my left hand to display a "push backwards" towards them. Hopefully most get the hint and back off a little bit - if they don't then just slow down - not slamming on brakes - but drop a gear and be ready and let them pass and watch them carefully as they come back in front.

Also sorry to hear you dropped it - getting old is hard - I turned 61 last month - more muscle strains getting out of bed and walking around - let alone trying to pick up a Goldwing.. :)

have you ever heard of this roadway aussie? its a 2 lane blacktop with 318 curves on an 11 mile stretch of road. not much room for errors. here's a link to it so you can get a better idea of how it is......http://www.dragonawareness.com/?AspxAut ... eSupport=1 its not for the faint of heart, or by any means for a "beginner" on a motorcycle. speed limit is 30mph for the entire length, and i don't go over 28mph. usually if i see i have a back up of vehicles behind me i go to the nearest "pull-off" and let them all go past me. im in no rush. I've been on it 9 times and it STILL scares the hell out of me. you have to respect this road or it could kill you.

stuart.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sun May 10, 2015 7:09 am

Breakdancer wrote:Holy cats Stuart, glad things are not worse!! We don't want to see you flying over any edge... :shock: Aside from a few glitches, I hope you enjoyed yourself after putting in all that hard work on your ride. :D

hey thanks BD, yeah, im ok, just my pride is hurt worse than anything else. yes, i did enjoy the rest of my ride after that incident. i can fix the bike easily, i have a friend that has a welding shop, i'll take the bike to him and have him heat up the floorboard and straighten it back out. should be a easy fix.

stuart.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sun May 10, 2015 7:35 am

redial wrote:Strains are a pain. They do not want to get better, and the older we are (every day I get older), the more time it seems to take. But it is good to hear that you survived with only some muscle strain. It is a shame that your fresh GW got some damage, but hey, what else were you going to do? Get well, and look back on the incident as a lesson learned, remembered, and put into the experience bucket.

Stay safe, and keep smiling.

one important lesson i learned from this redial is i'll never go on that roadway again on the weekends. the road is very well maintained, but not many guard rails to prevent someone from going over the edge, and in some places, the drop is a couple hundred feet down. if you go over the edge and no one is around to see that happen, you can lay down there for hours, days or forever and die. here's a link to it so you can get an idea of what im talking about...http://www.dragonawareness.com/?AspxAut ... eSupport=1

too many "weekend wariers" their think its a road race course just for their own personal amusement and they don't care if anyone else is on it. as long as they can go like a "bat outta hell" and defy death on their crotch rockets and in their cagers. during the week its not crowded. im very surprised there was no police there. usually on good weekend days the county has police vehicles set up for speeders and they DO hand out tickets. I've seen them pull bikers over 4 and 5 at a time and site them for speeding.

stuart.

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sun May 10, 2015 7:46 am

I know of the road, seen quite a few videos and read reports of the "riding the tail of the dragon".

I'm not unaware of its pitfalls and the need for experience and patience when riding this piece of blacktop. I've seen the results and aftermath of many a reckless rider and driver.

Bravo for riding it - bravo for not going over the edge - so you ride it for the thrill - or because it challenges you ?

we have many weekend warriors on our roads as well - but nothing as extreme as "the tail of the dragon"

:)

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sun May 10, 2015 9:02 am

well, i wouldn't say i ride it for the thrill or the challenge of it, mostly i ride it to keep my road skills and "hand, eye and feet" coordination up to the standards that i might need for every day riding, going thru tight turns, up and down shifting, breaking etc. keeps my alertness and my constant awareness of the road in check. i also like it because it feels like im going thru a forest with nothing but nature and trees. no side streets, stop signs, traffic signals to worry about only the other vehicles on the road.

below is a pic of the big rig that i almost went under going thru one of the many turns... don't ask me how he got onto this road, but its posted " NO VEHICLES OVER 30 FEET ALLOWED".

stuart.
Attachments

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sun May 10, 2015 9:10 am

The Dragon is one of those things I think every biker should do at least once,but that's enough.There are way too many other roads the same in the area that are a lot safer to ride.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sun May 10, 2015 9:50 am

Fatwing Chris wrote:The Dragon is one of those things I think every biker should do at least once, but that's enough. There are way too many other roads the same in the area that are a lot safer to ride.

I've heard that there are other roads somewhere around here that are the same if not more curvy than the dragon, i just haven't found them yet lol. I've been on this road 9 times counting yesterday, and its the first time i really had any problems.

To all of you female riders that are moms, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY :D. im off to my wife's mothers house to celebrate the day. laters yawl.

stuart.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”