Of Mice and Wiring

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
dnorman
Motorcycle: 2005 Gl1500se
CX 500
Ninja 650R
Cushman Truckster

Of Mice and Wiring

Postby dnorman » Sat May 09, 2015 9:08 pm

I went to start my 2005 Wing after the winter and I found mouse nest in the rear truck. The bike started fine but I have issues:
No turnsignals
No Stereo
Suspension adjustment error
I found another nest under the right front fearing compartment. I am about to go back and see what I can find. Any advise is appreciated.
Thanks]

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Of Mice and Wiring

Postby redial » Sat May 09, 2015 9:57 pm

Check the air filters as well, those critters like nesting in warm spots out of the breezes, and probably had a bit of a midnight feed on some of the wiring.

Somewhere on here (Goldwingdocs), there is an idea for putting screenings to slow the little blighters down. This seems to work, while your GW is resting, so that you do not have to do a major clean out of mice/critter nesting materials.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 11, 2015 10:19 am

I hate to say it, but you really need to pull bodywork to find exactly what damage they've done. Mice love to chew wires, and even something that isn't working right now could fail later when chewed-bare wires happen to short out. If it's bad enough, it might even be worthy of an insurance claim.

There are more feet of wiring in a GL1800 than in a Honda Civic, and the harnesses are quite complex. Hopefully they have limited their damage to a few key circuits, but if they have started in on the harnesses at all, you're in for a fairly expensive repair.

dnorman
Motorcycle: 2005 Gl1500se
CX 500
Ninja 650R
Cushman Truckster

Postby dnorman » Mon May 18, 2015 10:27 am

The good part is only 2 wires were damaged and I know my bike better than I did before I started. Bad part was it took way to longer to take things apart the first time.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”