A Good Day

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

A Good Day

Postby Sidcar » Sun May 17, 2015 6:41 pm

This morning, after a lazy breakfast, I rode my old BSA outfit to Jacks Hill Cafe, Towcester (near Silverstone race circuit if your a MotoGP/Formula1 fan) where the Headingham Sidecar Club were having their "Sidecar Sunday", a fifty mile round trip. Tea, bacon sandwich and plenty of chat with like minded people and if that wasn't enough my old Beesa got the "Best Outfit" award. Home for a bite of lunch swap BSA for Goldwing and off to the Blue Bell Cider House, Hockley Heath (80 mile round trip) for an afternoon meet of the West Midlands Sidecar Club. Coffee (not cider don't drink and drive) more chat with like minded people, and I may have mentioned winning Best Outfit award earlier that day, filled by a brisk ride home in the afternoon sunshine. What's not to like.
I bumped into a couple of friends when I gat back and naturally showed them my award. One accused me of stealing it the other said if my Beeser was the best the others must have been a rough lot.
It's good to have friends.
Sid
Seen at Jacks Hill:
Attachments

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: A Good Day

Postby redial » Sun May 17, 2015 7:53 pm

Great photos, Sid. But does the free-wheeler classify as a motorcycle? According to the registration authority here, you have to sit on a saddle and ride for it to be classified as an MC. Sounds like it was a very good day, but weren't there any others there? :roll:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Sidcar

Postby Sidcar » Mon May 18, 2015 1:17 am

As far as Club gatherings, and the motorcycle fraternity in general are concerned over here trikes, three wheelers and sidecar outfits tend to get lumped together though to their credit the Headingham Club gave an award for best trike and best three wheeler. Government classification doesn't really come into it.
There was only one three wheeler so not surprisingly he won the Best Threewheeler award (a new Morgan is about £30,000 so he deserved something).
There were three trikes. I was going to photograph the winner but I got chatting to a bloke and the trike drove off while we were still talking, sorry about that.
Sid
Attachments

Sidcar

Postby Sidcar » Mon May 18, 2015 1:23 am

Just spotted there's a 1920 something Austin Severn sticking out behind the Pan European banking outfit. I wonder where he was off to?

Sid

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 18, 2015 10:24 am

Is that a sidecar that is just suspended in air by the bike (i.e. with no third wheel)?

Sidecar with no wheel?
Sidecar with no wheel?

Sidcar

Postby Sidcar » Mon May 18, 2015 11:34 am

Looks like it doesn't it. It's a banking outfit but what it's like on the road I don't know. The owner and his wife are ex Army and have ridden it all over Europe.
Here's a shot from the rear.

Sid
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 18, 2015 12:47 pm

That makes more sense! I was trying to imagine what it would be like trying to ride while balancing a sidecar hanging off the side!

I always wondered why banking sidecars weren't the norm - apart from the linking complexity. It retains the natural turning method that the bike was designed for, eliminates the side stress on sidearm and forks that it wasn't designed for, and the sidecar itself helps with the turning, being that it is banked as well.

Sidcar

Postby Sidcar » Mon May 18, 2015 2:41 pm

There must be problems otherwise we'd all be driving them. Even the racing boys don't use them.
For instance when you come to a halt what stops the whole plot flopping sideways especially if the road has a steep camber on it.
Banking it would fine for the rider but would it be such a pleasant experience for the passenger I wonder.
It would be nice to try one but there are very very few about.

Sid

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 18, 2015 2:44 pm

Sidcar wrote:There must be problems otherwise we'd all be driving them. Even the racing boys don't use them.
For instance when you come to a halt what stops the whole plot flopping sideways especially if the road has a steep camber on it.
Banking it would fine for the rider but would it be such a pleasant experience for the passenger I wonder.
It would be nice to try one but there are very very few about.

Sid

I would think your feet would stop it from falling over, just like a regular bike! :)

I would actually think it would be more pleasant for the rider, as the perceived gravity would always be straight down, instead of moving laterally when cornering.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Tue May 19, 2015 8:27 am

Sidcar wrote:As far as Club gatherings, and the motorcycle fraternity in general are concerned over here trikes, three wheelers and sidecar outfits tend to get lumped together though to their credit the Headingham Club gave an award for best trike and best three wheeler. Government classification doesn't really come into it.
There was only one three wheeler so not surprisingly he won the Best Threewheeler award (a new Morgan is about £30,000 so he deserved something).
There were three trikes. I was going to photograph the winner but I got chatting to a bloke and the trike drove off while we were still talking, sorry about that.
Sid

Does this include Reliant Robins et al?
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

Sidcar

Postby Sidcar » Tue May 19, 2015 10:19 am

In general yes. Not that I've seen one at this sort of event but Bonds, Bubble Cars and Morgan look alikes take part.

Sid

Return to “Goldwing Chat”