Honda CB

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
cruiser1800
Motorcycle: 2006 Goldwing Trike Champion kit
2007 VTX1800T2

Honda CB

Postby cruiser1800 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:55 pm

Beings it has been like 30 years since I've owned a Goldwing and this one I just bought doesn't have an owners manual, is there any real benefit having a Honda CB over any other like J&M. I ordered a owners manual, but I am trying to pick up what I can from this site to get a heads start in learning what I can about Goldwings. I've been riding a VTX1800T, which is a whole different breed of a bike. So bear with me if I ask what might seem to be a stupid question. There's a lot on this bike I'm not use to.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Honda CB

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri May 22, 2015 8:06 am

The only viable alternative(IMHO)to the OEM CB is the one from BikeMP3
http://bikemp3.com/Evolution-CB-Radio-F ... BI-EVO.htm
Having said that, I have the OEM CB and am very pleased w/it. The bikemp3 unit was not on the market when I got my OEM CB

cruiser1800
Motorcycle: 2006 Goldwing Trike Champion kit
2007 VTX1800T2

Postby cruiser1800 » Fri May 22, 2015 8:42 am

I know it wouldn't be connected to any Goldwing controls on the bike, it would be a total separate unit. What I wanted to know does the OEM CB do more then just CB talk or does it perform other things then just the CB. I know this isn't worded as could as it could be to get my point across, but at the moment I guess you could say I am brain dead when it comes to phrasing things right.

Thanks

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Fri May 22, 2015 10:09 am

First of all the year of your Gold Wing might make a difference. If the bike is a 2001 or newer, you would have some problems mounting a CB to the handlebars and would not be able to use the built in CB controls. For the newer Wings (after 2001) it really makes it easier and less of a hassle to get the OEM CB from Honda(shop around at online dealers as prices do vary--HDL) The best alternate to the Honda CB is the unit sold by BikeMP3. A google search will turn up their website for ordering.

Whether you go Honda CB or BikeMP3, installation is basically plug and play with the excepting of the antennae. You will need to drill two holes in the side of top trunk to mount the antenna. This is an easy task.

Just a thought, you might email Larry through his website at: http://www.wingconnect.com/
He might have a Honda OEM unit that came in for repair and was not paid for that he wants to get rid of. I sort of doubt it as he normally gets his service fees upfront! The only way to contact him is through email.

Earlier Wings have a different CB and I am sure the only unit that fits is the OEM if you can find one. In that case the alternatives are the CB's sold by J&M, Air Rider and so forth. You might also contact Sierra Electronics.

As far as what will the units do, from experience the OEM unit is a good CB unit and is limited to that. The BikeMP3 unit has some additional capabilities which are explained on the BikeMP3 website. These may or may not appeal to you.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat May 23, 2015 10:24 am

cruiser1800 wrote:I know it wouldn't be connected to any Goldwing controls on the bike, it would be a total separate unit. What I wanted to know does the OEM CB do more then just CB talk or does it perform other things then just the CB. I know this isn't worded as could as it could be to get my point across, but at the moment I guess you could say I am brain dead when it comes to phrasing things right.

Thanks

The OEM CB is just that! CB only.
The GL2way by BikeMP3 does provide provisions for other functions:
Available second radio mode for FRS GMRS or HAM radios using off the shelf SENA two way radio cables.***
A second audio input that can be used to integrate a GPS or Radar detector that will interrupt other audio sources when audio is present.
State of the art electronics and performance with USB upgradable software
***The second radio connector is not fitted as standard but will be supplied if you order a second radio cable, this connection is not designed for use with 27Mhz handheld CB units, if you want to transmit on that band you should order a full CB.***

Return to “Goldwing Chat”