Under lighting Question

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Under lighting Question

Postby Chronos70 » Wed May 27, 2015 9:39 pm

So the other day I was going to Downtown Disney in Orlando FL to pick up the son-in-law from work. When I entered the parking garage I rode past two Osceola Sheriffs. One flagged me down and when I turned around and went back, he told me that he had two issues with me and my 1999 GL1500. First I wasn't wearing eye protection, (which I've remedied) and the second was the green lighting on my bike. He said it's illegal. I turned off the lights thanked him, and went on my way. Later on I tried looking up bike light laws on the Internet but didn't really find out much. Anyone know for sure if green under lights lighting up the ground are illegal? I've seen bikes down here with blue glow, and other bikes with red glow, and I can't figure out if they're legal or not...

Sorry for the crappy quality of the attached pictures, took some quick snaps with my iPhone 3gs.
I can turn off all the lights except the ones facing the rear...

Last edited by Chronos70 on Wed May 27, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where are we going, and what's with this basket?

Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Re: Under lighting Question

Postby ka4yqi » Wed May 27, 2015 10:28 pm

You got me on the green lighting under the wing, but I do know that you have to have eye protection in the state of Florida. Here in Georgia, you have to have eye protection also, but if you have a windshield, it's the eye protection. I would check with some of the local police or deputy sheriffs about the lights. I would not run them till you found out about them.

Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby DarthJ » Wed May 27, 2015 11:07 pm

This is what I found so far:

Chapter 316
View Entire Chapter
316.224 Color of clearance lamps, identification lamps, side marker lamps, backup lamps, reflectors, and deceleration lights.—
(1) Front clearance lamps, identification lamps, and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.
(2) Rear clearance lamps, identification lamps, and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display or reflect a red color.
(3) All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear of any vehicle shall display or reflect a red color, except the stop light or other signal device, which may be red, amber, or yellow, and except that the light illuminating the license plate shall be white and the light emitted by a backup lamp shall be white or amber. Deceleration lights as authorized by s. 316.235(5) shall display an amber color.
(4) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.
History.—s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 2, ch. 86-23; s. 176, ch. 99-248.

From this, it sounds like they would be illegal to operate while the bike is moving.

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 28, 2015 7:57 am

The green/blue/purple/red/whatever underlighting, as well as the green/blue/red/purple turn signals and running lamps that you see people put on cars and bikes are all pretty much illegal in most states and provinces for on-road use. Of course, whether this is actually enforced or not depends on whether a) the police have anything better to do, or b) are looking for an excuse to pull you over for something, in which case you just gave them an easy one.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”