Helm Goldwing Manual - CD-ROM - Old Windows Version

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
mbaker3
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing GL1500 1999

Helm Goldwing Manual - CD-ROM - Old Windows Version

Postby mbaker3 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:52 am

Just to let everyone know, I ordered the CD-ROM manual for my 1999 Goldwing Aspencade. When it arrived it is for Widows 3.1 and Windows 95, which are 20 year old Windows programs and are worthless on newer computers. Microsoft doesn't even support those versions anymore. There is nothing on the Goldwing Docs page nor the Helm order page that indicates that the formatting for this CD is for those versions only. Subsequently, I had to pay for something that was not usable. They allowed me to get a return on my money and I purchased the hard copy manual from them instead. I am not complaining about their service, I am complaining that they should put the windows information in their description of the CD-ROM to eliminate the hassle of ordering, returning and reordering a different manual.

Just a heads up on this. If it can, or should be posted in another forum, please let me know and I will post it there also.................. thanks!

Now that I am retired, when I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. :o :shock:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Helm Goldwing Manual - CD-ROM - Old Windows Version

Postby WingAdmin » Fri May 29, 2015 10:38 am

I'm not surprised at this - their electronic parts manuals are also for those old versions of Windows and will not run on newer computers.

My solution is to use Microsoft Virtual PC to run a copy of Windows 95 inside my newer version of Windows, then install the CD into that virtual PC and use it there.

mbaker3
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing GL1500 1999

Re: Helm Goldwing Manual - CD-ROM - Old Windows Version

Postby mbaker3 » Fri May 29, 2015 11:31 am

Thanks for the info on Virtual PC. I will look into how to do that.
Now that I am retired, when I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. :o :shock:

Return to “Goldwing Chat”