First time gold wing buyer

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Downs3
Motorcycle: 1982 g1100

First time gold wing buyer

Postby Downs3 » Sat May 30, 2015 10:13 pm

So I'm talking to guy who has a 1982 gold wing 1100 for sale he wants to trade me straight up for my Xbox gaming console the only problem is the pistons are stuck in the Golding because it has been sitting and I don't really want a huge costly project on my hands it'll be my first motorcycle just looking on opinions and if it's gonna be a headache or not he says all I have to do is put some oil in the jugs

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: First time gold wing buyer

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sat May 30, 2015 10:22 pm

You are looking at a pig in a poke, in other words - you are walking into the unknown.

Why are they stuck ? - seized motor is worst case scenario - or broken rods, or broken crankshaft, bent valves, you name it.
How long has it been sitting? - outside or inside ? Any history? has the current owner ever had it running ?

I would want to see pictures and at least see if the motor can be turned by hand or in gear and pushed?

good luck
:?:

Downs3

Postby Downs3 » Sat May 30, 2015 10:39 pm

Yeah I'm waiting on pictures but he says it will run as soon as I free it up because it has been sitting outside I believe and he states the head will pull off but the Pistons are stuck I'm a little Leary on what to do

dennislp
Motorcycle: 90 1500 se

Postby dennislp » Sat May 30, 2015 11:08 pm

got one same year as that sat out not running for a long time eng stuck got it for a case of beer. 6 mo. later and a lot of parts and a paint job (electric blue) it was a great bike and a fun build . but I still had 5000 in a bike worth at best 2500

Downs3

Postby Downs3 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:34 pm

That's what I'm scared of I don't want to get into something I can't afford I'm basically looking for something that needs some work to get me started with and I can't afford much right now so I do t wanna screw myself

Old Wing Man
Motorcycle: 2000 Goldwing SE

Postby Old Wing Man » Sun May 31, 2015 7:20 am

I think if it were such a simple job, the owner would fix it himself and ride it. He likely has already got a price to fix and it is more than the bike is worth. A locked up engine might require lots of parts to fix OR it could be just some AT fluid in the cylinder heads to soak but no one knows. I have seen engines set for many years outside and not lock up unless water got into the engine. If that is the case, you may not be able to fix it.

I would just pass on it. There are too many older wings out there with less than 50K miles on them that are good for another 150K mileage and can be had for under $2500 in good shape with good paint and everything working.
I would just save some money and then look for one of those. I had an 84 Aspencade 1200cc that was an awesome bike that I think ran better than my 1500 GW does and I see lots of them for sale. The 84 has much better styling than the pre 84 IMO.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Sun May 31, 2015 9:12 am

Run away, run away, do not pass go, do not make any stops! Run away, run away! There are others out there that are in better shape and reasonable costs.
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sun May 31, 2015 12:06 pm

CMReynolds1 wrote:Run away, run away, do not pass go, do not make any stops! Run away, run away! There are others out there that are in better shape and reasonable costs.

I agree totally! This bike is ideal for someone with the knowledge, patience and ability to rebuild not to mention the necessary cash. About the only thing you could do with it is part it out and maybe make some money on the parts.

Since this would be your first bike, the first thing I think you should do is take a MSF riding course to see if you really want to ride a motorcycle and then after you have learned the basics go looking for a used bike that is running and in rideable condition. Many of us started with bikes smaller than 250cc and have made the gradual move to larger bikes as funding and time permits. Plus smaller bikes are easy to work on and learn how to do basic maintenance to save money.

I understand the buyers urge to get a great deal, but this is just that, a great deal only for the seller. The buyer of this gold wing gets only a lot of headaches that most of us don't want to deal with. Let someone else have this deal.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Downs3

Postby Downs3 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:59 am

Yes I was going to go through with it as I have all the know how and what not to rebuild the bike but do to the lack of money and time I passed on I grew up working on and riding bikes so that wouldn't have been a problem but I took a rain check on this one

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:17 pm

Downs3, I think you made the right decision. Keep looking. Are you aware that there are some bikes advertised on this site as well?

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”