gl1200 steering trouble

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
nama
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda Gold Wing Interstate GL1200

gl1200 steering trouble

Postby nama » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:10 am

I have a 1984 GL1200.A few days ago I went for a ride and when I was going around a right turn the bike wanted to go left My speed was around 55 MPH.I am a new rider and was wondering if this is a front end trouble or a tire trouble ,once last year it happened to me also(Right hand turn again).What a Rush.Any suggestions.I checked my air pressure on the front tire and it has the correct air pressure .It was questioned it may be a over steering trouble (Question what is a over steering trouble ???????)
Thanks Dave

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: gl1200 steering trouble

Postby thrasherg » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:31 am

Did it really try to turn the other way or did the front tyre slide making the bike go straight ahead for a short time (this could be felt like the bike was turning the other way to an inexperienced rider)? There is really nothing that will make a bike turn the opposite way except rider input or a sliding/flat tyre. As you say you are a new rider I am going to guess that you hit something slippery on the road and the front tyre slid which can be a very frightening experience. I would suggest that you might need to concentrate on your observation skills and look further ahead and not just at other vehicles but at the road surface looking for pot holes, water, or shiny patches which could be slippery, it will also help you pick a better line around corners and junctions.
It is also a good idea in corners to try and follow the lines in the road where car tyres have gone as (the car tyres will clean that bit of the road) outside of those areas there can be debris and oil which does horrible things to a bikes handling in a bend.. When your observation gets better then you can start using different lines to the car tyre line..

Regards Gary

nama
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda Gold Wing Interstate GL1200

Postby nama » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:34 am

Thanks Gary
If anyone got any suggestions or ideas please let me know
Thank Dave

kamirider
Motorcycle: 1984 GoldWing Interstate

Postby kamirider » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:03 pm

I was out the other day enjoying the nice whether, AS I made a left turn my rear tire hit a crack repair and promptly kicked out almost putting me down. You learn quick to avoid those lines in the future.
AL

Return to “Goldwing Chat”