Intro

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
oldbikes
Motorcycle: 86 honda

Intro

Postby oldbikes » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:43 pm

Stopped by to introduce myself. So a big Howdy to everyone.

Been lurking here for awhile lots of great info here ,trying to sort out a small problem with the bike with out much success . The problem is what I'd call twitchy handling. Like everything about the bike except it never feels stable under me.

I've been riding since 1960, to many bikes to count. I'm on my 5th Goldwing currently an 1986 Interstate.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: Intro

Postby trike lady » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:21 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Have you checked the steering head bearings?
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

oldbikes

Postby oldbikes » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:32 am

Hi thanks for the reply, I didn't get into much detail because this really belongs in another part of the forum.
Bike has 50,000 miles on it.
So far I've replaced front fork seals, checked wheel bearings front and rear, new tires. Checked the frame to see if someone put a Hinge in the middle of it. JK
Forks don't have any play in them and swing smooth and have no catching or notches from left to right although I will likely take them apart for new lube and adjustment. I noticed one rear shock has a fair amount oil on it so rebuilding that is next on the list, If a passenger is on the bike the handling is much worse and the rear shocks need attention anyway.

The bike never goes in a straight line it requires a lot of attention to stay in it's lane when going into a corner I can't pick a line it needs to be corrected once or twice to navigate any corner. Steering seems twitchy for a bigger highway bike ??

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:01 pm

You may also want to check the swing arm bearings they may be worn.
Place the bike on the center stand and apply force to see if the rear wheel/swing arm can be moved left to right.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

oldbikes

Postby oldbikes » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:26 pm

Had a rain day here so I put the bike up on the motorcycle lift and did a good check on the swing arm and rechecked the forks. Everything seems fine although I will make a tool to check the torque on the stem bearings and will take some time and really check out the swing arm, It is supposed to rain for the next few days so will have time to check bearing preload on everything.
I did notice some oil has leaked out of the Right Rear Shock I'm not up to speed yet on how to see if any oil is left in it so thinking of getting new seals and rebuilding them.
Everything I do makes it handle better however it could be a lot better for sure. At least we aren't afraid to ride it now.

I managed to put new hand grips on today doubt that will help with the handling but at least it looks better !

oldbikes

Postby oldbikes » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:08 am

Thanks trike lady I pulled the bearings out of the steering stem, they are in good shape however they were adjusted way to tight, set everything up with a torque wrench and it handles better now.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”