"My Favorite Ride"

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

"My Favorite Ride"

Postby N2PPN » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:23 am

Just wondering if any of you "Wing Nuts" would care to share any stories about some of your "Favorite Rides".

It may have been a cross country extravaganza, or just a trip down to the supermarket. Is there a particular road you like to visit as often as you can? Maybe a beach run (as I do from time to time now) to drive sloooow and do a little "looking" at the flora and fauna.

I have many personal "Favorite Rides", one that stands out in particular is "Hawks Nest Road" in upstate New York. It is a twisty, turny, roller coaster ride from the beginning to the end. Going from sheer cliffs overlooking the Delaware River to riding down along it's banks. The smell of the trees and other things along the way can only be recalled as inspirational. I do remember one time riding up there in early December with my best friend Rob, we stopped at a "cut your own" Christmas tree farm and he decided to bring home an 8 foot tree strapped to his 78 GL 1000. What a site it was to see us driving back down into NYC with an 8 foot Christmas tree strapped down to his bike with the base of the tree on top of his saddle bag and the top point strapped to his engine guard... I can only hope to someday find the pictures! The looks we got from the "carbound" people as we rode back were priceless!!

If you are ever in upstate New York (near Port Jervis, NY) here is where Hawks Nest Road is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Route_97
Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Looking forward to some more "Favorite Rides" stories...

Rich

Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: "My Favorite Ride"

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:12 am

I hesitate at posting my favorite ride, as it's currently not very busy or crowded, i.e. "as yet mostly undiscovered." :) But here goes.

I take 71 south out of the Cleveland area, 25 or 30 miles until I get to route 83 at Burbank. I take 83 south 15 miles or so to Wooster, which is a mostly unremarkable ride. But then it changes.

For the 40 miles from Wooster, through Millersburg and down to Coshocton, 83 is a hilly, winding, undulating road in excellent condition, with incredible scenery - a motorcyclist's dream road. Once you're past Millersburg, you can take any of the smaller roads off of 83 and spend hours riding up and down hills and valleys on wonderful twisty roads with some of the most scenic areas I've ever seen.

The area is one of the largest Amish areas in the country, so you do have to watch out for horse and buggies (and resultant horse exhaust left on the road) and kids on bicycles. But they are friendly, and will usually smile and wave back if you wave at them.

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:57 pm

Grrrr,

One of my favorite rides is temporarily closed due to a serial killer dumping bodies along the road I like to ride on Jones Beach (Ocean Parkway) from Captree State Park to the West End of Jones Beach...

I hope they catch this guy and find all his victims, the beach ride is one of my all time favorites...

Although I fear it will never again be the same...

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

ramdam1
Motorcycle: 1981 GL 1100 Interstate
2011 Kawasaki Nomad

Postby ramdam1 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:28 pm

Took the ride today. It was open but just a little cold. Just as usual almost no one on it. Nice ride!! Should be closed again next week to check the rest. I hope they figure it out too.

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:41 pm

Hi,
Well Easter Sunday here on Long Island was picture perfect.... temperatures were record high and the humidity was almost summer-like...

That meant it was a great day for a ride to the beach...

Here are a few youtube clips I shot today while riding... there is even music and everything (when you can hear it as I bring the camera behind the windshield).. pretty boring, but it's a great ride with the smell of the salty sea air and the visuals of the dunes and glimpses of the ocean..

Just a little bit of beach I guess....

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

ramdam1
2011 Kawasaki Nomad

Postby ramdam1 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:03 pm

Makes me jealous. Broke the retaining ring while changing the reat wheel bearings on Saturday. Not the kind of part you find at the local hardware store. Maybe see you out there next weekend. Nice quiet ride.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:27 pm

How did you break that ring? It's a pretty substantial piece of metal.

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:27 pm

OMG!
How did you break the ring??

ramdam, I was gonna PM you this morning, but alas there was a problem with the site (Thanks to you WingAdmin, you really are a great guy to devote time today to fixing the problem)and it being Easter and all, I decided to let you enjoy the day with your family..

We went out around 12 ish and got home about 3 ish (Wife was a little cold on the beach, so we headed inland where it was MUCH warmer (almost 20+ degrees!!) and stopped by a few friend's houses to say hi and let them drool over us being on the bike (I had an ulterior motive, heh heh)and all acting young and stuff...

Maybe next time we can meet for some coffee in Tobay at the Crab Shack?? We'll have to work out the details... just get that retaining ring fixed...

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

ramdam1
2011 Kawasaki Nomad

Postby ramdam1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:59 pm

I broke the ring because if you use my son's words. "Didn't you remember what it is made from before you hit it with a hammer? I was being stupid. The tool you showed us how to make from a socket worked perfect on the front but was just a little off for the rear. I tried to persuade it just a little too much. Now I will pay the price. First piece that broke on me and with all the work I did I count myself lucky. But all things happen for a reason. Now that I have read a little more than last year I noticed the rear spline drive was a bit more worn than I liked. Picked up one in much better shape for $20 and will be here before the weekend so I hope to have it all back.

You guys have a source for "O" rings. I need the one for the rear drive goes into the swing arm to match up with the drive shaft.

Does anyone have a rear brake rotor cover from a 1982 they want to trade or sell?

Rich,

I see you run Ocean Parkway so you must be close to me. You have a source for "O" rings local.

Rich

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm

ramdam1,

Sometimes I just drop by either Ace Hardware on Hempstead Tpke in Bethpage, or even Lowes on 107, or if I am stumped, LI Power (the lawnmower repair place in Hicksville) or Moreland Hose in Hempstead..

What size is it?? I might have one in my O-ring kit of a thousand pieces....

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

ramdam1
2011 Kawasaki Nomad

Postby ramdam1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:42 pm

Sounds like you live very near to me. Tried both Lowes and ACE. It is a 60 x 2.5. Didn't try LI Power or Moreland. Figured the other ACE may be better too. The one on 107. "Botto Brothers". They had the metric grease fitting I needed to move the really stuck piston on my caliper. Figured I would try them on Saturday. They have a lot of hardware and parts. More than the one in Bethpage.

I also found some on line but they won't be here till next week.

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:58 pm

Yes, I am close....

I also forgot about Blackman Plumbing over where AutoMat is on Hazel Street (where New South Road, Bloomingdale Rd and 107 meet) in Hicksville. They usually have a decent selection of O-Rings...
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

ramdam1
2011 Kawasaki Nomad

Postby ramdam1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:18 pm

Thanks!! I will let you know if I find one.

ramdam1
2011 Kawasaki Nomad

Postby ramdam1 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:04 pm

Ok so the "0" ring is no longer available from Honda says the local Honda. I took the old one and was able to match it really close at ACE. Received the retainer and refitted the home made tool to fit it right this time. Installed the new, opps used rear spline drive. Yes with plenty of moly paste. Changed the brake hose to stainless and back on the road. Hope to see you on Ocean Parkway.

:D

Thx

N2PPN

Postby N2PPN » Sun May 01, 2011 10:16 am

Great!!

If it was Champion Honda you went to I wouldn't expect much other than what they told you. Since you have the dimensions of the original O-ring, you can now take your time and find the exact metric replacement to keep in your GL Parts area of your garage for next time..

Might be going out to Ocean Parkway later today after the usual run to the grocery store and BJ's Wholesale Club for weekly supplies...

Might try for around 3:30 or 4:00 out the door heading south, maybe I'll see you there..

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

ramdam1
2011 Kawasaki Nomad

Postby ramdam1 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:32 pm

Yes it was Champion. Kind of like the only one around. Ran out to Riverhead on 495 and back, cut south and made my way over the bridge to Oak Beach. A little cool by the water. Then back north on the Wantagh. 125 miles. Nice ride and it feels good. Sorry I missed you.

bovine
Motorcycle: 2008 gl 1800 abs

Postby bovine » Mon May 02, 2011 11:23 am

Don't have a favorite per-say but two that I really like are state road 135 between Salem and Nashville Indiana and Indiana state road 66 between Leavenworth and Rockport Indiana. The Cherohala is really a good ride too. Hope to add some Kentucky roads this summer.

Life is short, live it!
NRA, SASS

Return to “Goldwing Chat”