Goldwing Noob

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Roadgypsy
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Goldwing w/ vetter package 1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200

Goldwing Noob

Postby Roadgypsy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:25 pm

Howdy folks, new member, just picked up an 80' Interstate and started research while waiting for a hand untrailering. Hoping I lucked out, $500 and supposedly all it needs is the rear brake unlocked and it just needs a good passage cleaning. Starts and idles fairly smooth on 2y/o gas, rubber looks pretty good, and already found some great resources here. Hoping this turns out like the $1200 suburban I bought in March, upon taking my time and checking things it needed far less than expected. If not, looks like I'll be in good company here and have some help when stumped-once I quit stringing together power words and take the time to read!

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: Goldwing Noob

Postby trike lady » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:50 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the new 2 U Wing.
Goldwings are tough bikes and 500.00 isn't a bad price either.
Change the fluids and the timing belts. Drain the old gas and change the fuel filter.
Add a little Seafoam, about 1 oz per gallon of gas and ride it.
Do a full safety check of the bike before taking the first ride
Post a pic of your bike for us, we like pics
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

Roadgypsy

Postby Roadgypsy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:00 pm

Get a few pics in a bit, took 2 when got it off trailer but pretty crappy. Running to get brake fluid soon, hopefully can unlock rear brake with a bleed and flush. Needs a battery then hopefully will be as simple as new fluids for a maiden voyage. Only a mile to work each way, but will need front fork seals before I try on hwy. Worried there has to be more wrong, from the pricepoint alone... was expecting torn seats, cracked fiberglass, etc when saw the ad on CL, but mostly just dusty and chrome peeling off engine that I've seen so far. Opened up one of the sidebags to a bonus, got a hand pump for suspension in the deal.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:18 pm

When you put the new battery in make sure its good and charged before putting it in the bike.
You want to make sure the charging system is good. There are 3 yellow wires from the stator to the regulator/rectifier that are in a white connector by the battery. Look at the condition of the connector, sometimes they get hot a melted and its caused by resistance. If everything is good the plastic connector is removed and the wires soldered and covered with shrink tube.
I know this is a lot of info to digest right away.
We're all here to help you.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

Roadgypsy

Postby Roadgypsy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:25 pm

Pretty sure charging system is good, had to take my madura battery with me to seller which was about half the size, and mostly dead itself. Between it and the charger it started and ran twice, the 2nd time for 10-15 min, and while it didn't have enough to start again once shut off, it did keep going until I turned the key. Pretty sure it's my battery not taking a charge, I've had to replace it on the madura anualy even when garaged and started a few times over winter. Just spotted a battery in stock at walmart (I know, but everything else closes by noon sat) , so will pick that up with the brake fluid and charge it up while tackle the brakes.

Roadgypsy

Postby Roadgypsy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:49 pm

Well, I HAD resigned myself that she wasn't gonna go anywhere till I get some rebuild kits for rear master and caliper.....then I realized :idea: "Hey, I have the whole rear brake pulled, why can't I ride it now?" now I say to myself, "HEEL NO! That would just be reckless and irresponsible!"......"OR" I say again....."It could be called checking the handling and looking for any other needed repairs... it would be irresponsible NOT to test it!" :twisted: Yeah, guess which voice won? Thankfully I'm in a town so small our walmart isn't even 24 hour and max speed anywhere is 45. Quick 2 miles up and back and it feels pretty good, just gotta get used to the weight, my first heel-toe, and all the floorboards in my way.

Roadgypsy

Postby Roadgypsy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:57 pm

Think I got her, put the caliper piston back in dry after cleaning it first time, redid it with a coating of fluid and wheel turns free. Timing belts are in the mail, but wondering if I should get valve cover seals before tearing in?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:17 pm

Roadgypsy wrote:Think I got her, put the caliper piston back in dry after cleaning it first time, redid it with a coating of fluid and wheel turns free. Timing belts are in the mail, but wondering if I should get valve cover seals before tearing in?

Valve cover seals are reusable, unless they're really old, hard and brittle.

Roadgypsy

Postby Roadgypsy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:28 pm

Alright thx, look when I get home. I know alot of the seals I could see looked newer, and brake lines. Think she was pretty well taken care of. Seller said been garaged a couple years but carbs were drained and she's been running decent on old gas so I just topped off tank to freshen it up and added seafoam.

Roadgypsy

Postby Roadgypsy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:31 pm

Alright thx, look when I get home. I know alot of the seals I could see looked newer, and brake lines. Think she was pretty well taken care of sometime in last 5-10 yrs. Seller said been garaged a couple years but carbs were drained and she's been running decent on old gas so I just topped off tank to freshen it up and added seafoam.

Roadgypsy

Postby Roadgypsy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:50 am

Looks like I identified her wrong. I'm assuming if she was an interstate either the title or vin plate would read gl1100i? Started to suspect when I read that the vetter kit was aftermarket, but thought maybe it was swapped. She has the interstate emblem between forks, but I think that was probably added too. Looks like alot of the shiny bits were from an aspencade too. The trunk seems to be neither honda or vetter. Rode her to work for 2 days now, seems like she's gonna need a rear shock rebuild, but seems pretty solid otherwise. Plan on swapping fluids, synching carbs and cleaning up some shiny bits sat, timing belts the week after when valve cover seals come in.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”