bike cameras

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

bike cameras

Postby squirrel » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi. Hoping to get a go pro or similar camera for the bike/helmet. But not being a tecci type its a bit confusing , so who has one , any advice welcome p.s.in laymans terms would be great :-) thanks

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Re: bike cameras

Postby seelyark1 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:35 pm

I don't have a gopro, but I do have one from Kim Komando that has two lenses. One is a wide angle, and you can turn them 180degrees. Takes very good pictures and seems to be stablized as you can't see the bumps you know are there. Was about $150 and is on my windshield. Great video of a guy hitting me in a curve then leaving. :D I didn't have a phone so the police don't want to see it. :o Will play on most computers except my antique one :lol:
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:02 pm

Helmet mounted GoPro Hero 4 here. Mainly bought it just in case of an accident and the other guy takes off. But also to just have some fun and maybe make a few videos. Quality has gone up and GoPro does make a good camera. Its amazingly small and light. Capable of 1080p @ 60fps and higher resolutions. All these kinds of cameras are very wide angle so they all fisheye a little. But you really get a nice wide view at the same time. Battery life using a GoPro Remote has been around 55minutes or so. I always carry spare batteries. File size can get kind of big. I'm still trying to settle in with a video editing software. You can download GoPro Studio for free from there website. It has its limitations.

Some people dont care for how far out a GoPro mounted on a helmet sticks out. When I'm riding I dont even know its there and it doesn't really cause any drag. The Drift Ghost S has a different profile and mounts closer to the helmet. The biggest reason some choose the GoPro over the Drift for helmet mounting is that you can mount a GoPro to the chin of a helmet. And there are other video cameras out there to check out. Maybe they aren't as popular but depends on your budget vs. what you expect to get from it.

Paid $499 for a GoPro Hero 4 Black. They still sell GoPro 3's. They also have an entry level GoPro for around $125 with a builtin mic but no plugs for an external mic. And they just came out with a new GoPro but I can't remember its features. I think a Drift Ghost S goes for around $399. There are GoPro knockoffs on Ebay going for around $65-75 and reviews say that they are remarkably similar to a GoPro and that they aren't a bad camera especially for the investment. They would even make a good 2nd camera if you mount one to your helmet and another facing rearward or down on your crashbar facing forward.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:40 pm

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Return to “Goldwing Chat”