Taking the plunge on Arai helmet

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Taking the plunge on Arai helmet

Postby made2care » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:40 pm

An intricate part of my trip planning is making certain I am wearing the correct helmet and helmet size. My current helmet is a cheapo, as I spend more time fixing up bikes than I do actual riding (sad isn't it) and had no clue as to what I was buying, just liked the price!
I did not realize that choosing the correct helmet for not only your head shape and size, but also riding style and bike preference could be so crucial. From what I have researched, over 90% of those that choose to wear helmets are actually wearing the incorrect size( more choose bigger than needed) and shape to have what appears to them, a true fit. One out of ten riders actually wear two full sizes too big.
With all this new knowledge I have opted for the Arai, and still am looking for the correct model. I have measured and also checked for my head shape (intermediate oval).
I guess my question is this: If you own an Arai, did you find that the sizing was true to your measurements, or did you need to go up or down a size.
I probably need to go to an actual store , then maybe I could decide.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: Taking the plunge on Arai helmet

Postby NVSB4 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:51 pm

Probably the best thing to do is go into a shop that has some and try them on to find the size that fits right.
Then you have the ammunition to go online and see what is available.
Quite often, you can go back into the store, show them the internet deal and see if they will match.
I'm always into instant gratification. :D
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:06 pm

Ditto on what NVSB4 said.

I have worn Arai for years, but they don't fit everyone as comfortable as they do me. Make sure it fits with no pressure points before buying. But the helmet should be tight enough that a tug on the helmet is like a tug on the head. I have found Arai does run true to its stated sizes, and remember they also have different size cheek pads and so forth to make the helmet fit better.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:31 pm

I had always worn a large helmet - I had to, in order to have something that didnt' feel like it was driving spikes into my forehead and the back of my head (I have a "long oval" head shape).

When I saw the Arai rep at a motorcycle show, I told him I was in the market for a new helmet, and liked that they had a long oval shaped helmet that might fit my head. I told him I wore a large. He took one look at me, and said "you're a medium." I protested, but he said "your head is xx inches" - and then took measuring tape out and measured, and he was dead on. I guess he has been doing this for years.

He then said, I was definitely a medium with that circumference head. So I tried on a medium, and it felt like my head was in a vice - it felt so tight compared to what I was used to! He told me that this was the correct fit, and that most people wear helmets that are far too big for them. After a minute or two I realized that it wasn't uncomfortably tight, just solid, and didn't flop around.

He was right. I bought the medium, and I'm now on my second medium Arai. When I try on one of my old large Shoei helmets, I feel like the thing is 10 times too big for me, it flops and slops all over the place.

So in my experience, the Arai sizing is right on (measure your head like they say to, and their chart will be correct). My wife has large cheekbones, and required changing out a couple pads to make it fit comfortably, but that was relatively inexpensive, and they have many different sizes of all the different pads inside.

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Postby maintainer » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:34 pm

Of all the premium helmet's I strongly prefer Shoei comfort and design over Aria but that's for another thread.
I recommend you go to an accessory dealer like Cyclegear or even a big bike dealer and try on different sizes etc.
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:15 am

I am on my third Arai helmet, I find them the most comfortable for me.

My last purchase was in a motorcycle store as they were having a sale. However, what I normally do is go to a store, try on helmets and get the right size, then look on line for the same helmet make and size and buy from there, as it is normally substantially cheaper. If you do this, then you should A) make sure that the helmet you are ordering online is the exact same as the one you tried on in the store, B) buy from an online distributor which is based in the same country as you - Arai make different head shapes according to world geographical location. Clearly, if you are say, Japanese and living in the USA, you will need to make specific enquiries.

Be aware that when trying on a new helmet, it will appear a very tight fit, and you might feel that you are having to eat the inside of your cheeks. Don't be tempted to get a size bigger for a more comfortable fit. The helmet will settle to your unique headshape when worn for a period.

My Arai is now about 5 years old and feels part of me but really should be due for a change soon. This is not something to which I am looking forward. In addition to the cost, and Arai helmets are not cheap items, there is the above mentioned wearing in period, and then of course doing the necessary surgery to make my in-helmet speakers fit.

A helmet is one of the few bits of kit a motorcyclist really does not want to use/test to its full extent.
Last edited by brettchallenger on Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

billbob
Motorcycle: 1998 gl1500 se

Postby billbob » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:59 am

Great helmet along with Shoei,i did wear 3/4 style helmet ever since the seventies but now I wear a half helmet for the comfort . :!:

made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Postby made2care » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:23 pm

Went ahead and purchased the Arai Vector 2 solid. $449, should get in a couple of days. I spent a ton of hrs researching, so hopefully all that research will pay off. BTW, Revzilla had the lowest prices, just in case someone is in the market for a new lid.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:40 pm

Arai helmets are worth every penny :D

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Return to “Goldwing Chat”