What's Happening Today?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Re: What's Happening Today?

Post by seelyark1 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:01 am

Just got myself out of the VA hospital after ten days. Pain clinic finally got me to the point of having to go to the emergency room with kidney failure. Then they wanted to try me out on a new medicine for pain. Naloxone! (puts you to sleep) It is their new pain med, that they are using off label! They had me on Morphine sulfate for several years and could carry on a normal life with that. But they now have this big push to do away with opioids. So now they have me on another one that has more bad side affects than the morphine did! Boy what a great system :( It seems that there is no communication between units in the VA system! I am a diabetic and they didn't know what pain does to a diabetic. They accused me of not taking my insulin because my blood sugars were out of my control. Had an A1C of 7.2 before I went to the pain clinic, and was fine and stable for the last several years :) Boy has the VA system gone down hill in the last few years. The pain was in the lower back from being blown into a bunker onto a small wooden box, by the bomb dump explosion during Tet 68. Had a slipped disc that took them 14 months to find and had surgery in April 69. Been in pain since then. Wonder when I will dare to ride the bike again? :x :x From better to worse!

Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Mon May 08, 2017 3:42 pm

brettchallenger wrote:
ARRGGHH! I want to RIDE!
Come here, I will even put you up a few nights
Wow! Beautiful country!! Wish I could take you up on that offer!!
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Post by brettchallenger » Mon May 08, 2017 4:29 pm

Wow! Beautiful country!! Wish I could take you up on that offer!!
Thank you. It is just starting to get going now, it will be stunning by June.
Never trust a nation whose armed forces goose-step

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Mon May 08, 2017 11:44 pm

Just been out for a ride on the Valkyrie - took it to Katoomba for its first service and a complete check over by my mechanic.

Gave it an oil change - reasonable good oil was in it as previous owner said it was changed a few hundred k's ago - but I wanted to make sure and replaced the filter as well. So now I am good for another 5000 k's. Steering head bearings adjusted up a bit - they were fractionally loose - but a lot better feel on the road now. Front brake lever was quite soft - and seemed to come back to the handlebars consistently. Found the problem - the right side brake pads one had cocked to one side somehow and was not working properly. Slider pins greased up and now the lever is rock solid and very little movement back to the bars. Left side was ok - but missing one of the rubber grommets on the slider pins and also missing the anti squeal plate. Get those parts prior to replacing the current pads - and that will also be when I get a new front tyre. Front tyre is scalloped and you can definitely feel it as soon as you turn left or right - tyre makes a fair bit of noise - still a lot of tread left so will replace in a few thousand k's - probably next service.

Removed the brake and clutch lever covers - more like for a dirt bike as bark busters- didn't like them. Bled the clutch as fluid looked pretty ordinary, flushed it all through.

Removed tank and cleaned out air filter - it's good for another 100000 as per the mechanic. Small split in the main fuel hose - so split was cut off and then placed back on outlet.

Carbs were adjusted slightly - now very crisp response and pulls a lot better. Throttle cables and housing adjusted and lubed and now nice and snappy. Indicator switch was quite stiff and hard to cancel - lubricated and all good now.

Rear drive line oil - clean as a whistle - so not changing that.

All done and the ride home was a pleasure - sun shining - no wind- only saw two police cars - both on the other side of the road (phew).

Dropped in to Western Honda - insured the bike - bought some winter gloves - old ones have served their purpose.

I'm done for the day...... cheers guys.

Stantheman55
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Gl 1500SE
1985 Yamaha FJ1100

Post by Stantheman55 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:46 pm

Since today will soon be tomorrows yesterday Ya Ya I like that, Ok so anyway a few yesterdays ago maybe last week we went to look at and pick up our new to us, 2000 1500se. I am the forth owner and it is still in great condition. Shortly there after I discovered this website and its hard to want to go do anything else around the house except read posts.

I was brain storming one evening around starting my maintenance fix and replace list of things to do. The old Gal/guy (as yet to be determined) has 163K on it. The previous owner had it less then a year and replaced a few things, I know the tires have been replaced along with the timing belt, plugs and oil filter and I think the air filter as well...

So am trying to decide what to do and in what order? I want to do multiple jobs at the same time. before putting all the pretty stuff back on.

Any and all suggestions from the forum are welcome, I am not a stranger to MC maintenance as I have kept my 85 FJ1100 running since its purchase in 2000, Ironically the year my GW was built. Me thinks there is a message of some kind there, Hmmmm! :?

I did come across the DIY project regarding the shifter wobble and after seeing the swing sifter bracket on the video by the inventor I knew that this was cheep insurance and a no brainier. I also came across a product called Quick GLo ( see my review under product review) that has my luggage rack looking like new.
Ok thats it hope to here from some of you about my maint. schd. Be safe and see you on the road. Stan. :P

Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:31 pm

by Stantheman55 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:46 pm

So am trying to decide what to do and in what order? I want to do multiple jobs at the same time. before putting all the pretty stuff back on.
No knowing what you have already done, I'll list a few things. What I did was create an Excel spreadsheet and put down everything I could think of that needed to be done, by whom, how long it will take, the estimated cost, when it was done and any additional notes required.

Fuel filter replacement
Air filter replacement
Cruise filter replacement
Flush clutch system
Replace sub filter
Check plugs and possibly replace (I like iridium plugs)
Replace timing belts
Change oil in final drive
Synchronize carbs
Check tires, and make sure they are correctly inflated to avoid cupping

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Thu May 18, 2017 10:12 am

With Corkster52 list add...
Drain 2 tubes on left side near Alternator.

Pull Alt. check rubbers. (20 min. job)
If rubbers are hard, prepare for bearing and brush change. (1.5 hr job, need soldering skills)

Check side stand switch & boot. (boot not avail)

IRIDIUM plugs last 100,000+ miles, #7803

Trunk (broken latch, hidden pull - search)
Know where saddlebags emergency openers are.

Throttle & choke (cable lube tool. MUST USE PROPER LUBRICATION)

Irritating & hard to find issue. Open petcock & check diaphragm also vac. line.

WE'LL keep you busy. ;)
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

Stantheman55
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Gl 1500SE
1985 Yamaha FJ1100

Post by Stantheman55 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:29 pm

Ok I'll try this one more time. Had most of my reply written and lost it all. Thanks guys for all the 2-do items, yep I'll stay busy. I haven't done any replacement work yet. Wanted to talk to you all before I started.
I had thought of the spread sheet idea after seeing a maintenance break down in the hand book based on mileage. It's a great idea glad someone else thinks so as well. I can track The Who What Where and When.... we all know the why!

So ok question: my coolant dip stick has gone osta- la-byby! I can get one for a buck on eBay but they want $10.00 to ship it. Really!!!!!! Put the damned thing in an envelope for 2 bucks.

Ok so Question? Can some one give me the distance from the bottom of the cap to the center of the top full hole and to the center of the bottom fill hole? I think I can come up with something to make the dip stick from.

I guess that's it for now lastly today two different people saw my 2000 wing and were surprised at how good it looked for a 17 year old bike.

Be safe out the guys.... see you on the road....Stan.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:32 pm

Well, I have been missing for a while, so here is a short catch-up. Computer went crappy and had to take it to a service centre for a "grease and oil change". It came back, and I got ill. I have been less than healthy for a couple of months, but am getting back to semi-normal (for me, that is - which some people would have you believe is sub-normal for most!)

I reported to my GP Doctor that I was feeling lousy with double vision, and headaches. He organised a visit to the Ophthalmologist, and he has banned me from driving for a month (but he did not mention riding, suppose it was because I didnt tell him, but wife was there and she would have blabbed!) Since then, I spent last Thursday night at the local hospital (a smallish local hospital with a helipad), with tingles on the left side, and have more double vision. The doctor said it might be a TIA (Transient Ischaemic Attack ) or mini stroke. I dont want too many of those, thank you very much! I am already cut from driving and riding, so to be bereft of all mechanical enjoyments would be a step too far.

Not that I am fatalistic, but I have signed the papers that after my death, they can take my brain, spine, and whatever other things they think would be useful. The local brain bank is very appreciative that they will have a brain of my calibre to work on. I have lodged the papers, with the GP, hospital, and neurologist, and have it noted in my will, with my spouse and son witnessing it so that there will not be any second thoughts from them when I fall off the perch. Not that there are any immediate intentions to vacate my perch, but you never can tell when the grim reaper is to come for a harvest.

While we are gloomy things, Winter has arrived. We get our change of seasons at the start of the month, so 1 June is officially Winter. With my current riding embargo, I though I would do some maintenance on my about town (village is more like it), Honda 250 twin, which will include me fixing the slow puncture in the back wheel. It is a long, long time since I took a wheel off to fix a puncture, as I try to avoid the sharp things that seem to enjoy leaping out of the road onto unsuspecting travellers.

I have some more catching up on my emails, - down to the last 938, so I promise to return and keep up.

Have a happy day, and if you are going to Hocking Hills, have a great time meeting everyone.
Keep smiling,
Len (aka Redial)
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Post by brettchallenger » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:02 am

Well that is truly weird, I was only thinking yesterday that I hadn't heard from you for a long time. Welcome back, even if back isn't in its fullest sense at the moment, you being unable to ride etc. I hope you continue to recover. Winter must come as a bit of a relief after the burning hot weather you had to endure last summer. Concentrate on getting well. You will be in my prayers today.

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE (20th Anniversary) and Squire RX4 sidecar

Post by Sidcar » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:37 am

It's good to hear from you Redial, get well soon. Fixing a puncture is not my idea of convalescence sitting back and watching the cricket seems much more attractive.

Sid

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:03 am

Thanks, Brett and Sid, our cricketers did not start off too well against the Kiwis (New Zealanders), but the bowlers are practicing hard, from what I hear. The coach comes from about 30 Km away from here, the well known coach and former all-rounder Darren Lehmann.

Cricketers are like the American and Japanese baseballers, just about mini-gods/
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Aussie81Interstate
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:31 am

Ok Len - glad to hear you are on the mend, and SWMBO - listen and observe, if you want to retain the peace and quiet say "Yes Dear I understand" when she is within earshot - then go about and do what you want to do. Most of the time you will get away with it...until you get caught doing something you shouldn't.

Take care - and keep us up to date.

Cheers

Charlie

Fr33d0mF1ght3r
Motorcycle: 1997 Honda GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
1988 Kawasaki KLR 650

Post by Fr33d0mF1ght3r » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:07 pm

Went for a ride to the Quinalt rain forest (Washington State) and came across this "Mosssquatch"!
Very photogenic.....he even struck a pose! :lol:
Attachments

What's more important? What you believe; or if what you believe is true?

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:56 pm

Actually it happened yesterday. So today I have to rest. :lol:
Early last year I was having some charging system issues with my '78 GL. So I installed a digital voltmeter in my fairing, and hard wired it to my battery, so I could keep an eye on the voltage when I was riding. It worked great until late last fall, when my stator packed it in, and that was it for 2016.
This year I replaced the stator and got the charging system working right. For the first 1600 kms. this year, everything was fine, but then I didn't run the bike over a 16 day period and the voltmeter, although only a 5-20 ma draw on the battery, had dragged the battery down too low to start the bike. Flatterin' p@*% on a plate!!
Yesterday I installed a SPST relay triggered from my ignition switch, and connected the battery to the voltmeter through the relay's main contacts. I also re-wired the LED rocker switch, mounted in my fairing, that controls my Back-Off XP's emergency flashers feature.
It sounds simple enough, and probably is for most people. But I don't move that fast, and I had to have a beer to keep hydrated, and I had to think about it, a lot. So it took me quite a while to get it finished. :roll: .

But it's a beautiful thing.......................Dave :D
"Assume Nothing"

Aussie81Interstate
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:17 pm

I bought a 2001 Honda Valkyrie a bit over 2 months ago - and therefore had to put my 1988 GL1500 up for sale (SWMBO) as I cannot keep more than 2 bikes ( I have a CX500 Turbo being rebuilt). So I put the Goldwing up for sale through a local selling program called Gumtree - probably similar to Craigslist (but Gumtree is owned by ebay).

Advertised it truthfully and with several photos and the link to the accident damage sustained on 14/2/2017 (minor).

Got quite a few interested people but a lot of tyre kickers. Had one offer of $3000 which I declined. Bit the bullet and put it up on ebay - and have had a lot of interest again - and I took a deposit 10 days ago and it should now be picked up on Friday this week.

Sad to see it go as it is an excellent bike - but I really like the Valkyrie... :)

Sidcar

Post by Sidcar » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:28 pm

Rode the Goldwing to Brooklands Museum a couple of days ago. Well worth a visit. Only two sidecars to look at plus a few solos, plenty of cars, including the fearsome Napier Railton. Add a Concorde, a Vickers Vimy and a field full of other aircraft, the Barnes Wallace Stratosphere Chamber, a section of the old race track banking, the Test Hill and the London Bus Museum and you have a good day out. The young lad pictured with the Brough Superior outfit had just given a very competent demonstration of how you get the petrol out of the aux' fuel tank (the sidecar frame) and into the bike tank. Just to round the day off nicely I'm stuck in the traffic in Slough when the heavens opened so I could enjoy a damp ride home.

Sid

Pictures arriving in two lots
Attachments

Sidcar

Post by Sidcar » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:34 pm

I don't know whether you can see it but in one picture there's a photo of the Napier Railton in action and there is not one wheel touching the ground, it was noted as a bumpy track Brooklands.

See www.brooklandsmuseum.com

Sid
Attachments

Sidcar

Post by Sidcar » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:43 pm

Thrid time I've tried to load this picture here's of the Railton "flying" hoping hoping.
No point in wasting the space so there's a few more pics as well.

Sid
Attachments

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Post by brettchallenger » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:42 am

"Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough"

Bet that old poem went through your mind as you enjoyed the rain.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:14 am

Those are great pictures Sid. Museums like that are treasures indeed. I do believe however, that the "Cool Factor" for the Napier-Railton is low!
Thanks for taking the time, and making the effort, to post these very interesting historical photos.

And also, I can't believe you got any rain over there! :lol: ..........Dave
"Assume Nothing"

Sidcar

Post by Sidcar » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:55 pm

I'm on a museum roll just now.
Today I rode the Wing to see the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden, Bedfordshire ( www.shuttleworth.org ).
It's mainly a collection of vintage aircraft but there are also old cars, motorcycles, steam vehicles and buses.
All the aircraft are maintained in flying condition and they have five or six flying days a year when pull a selection out the hanger and fly them.
Just to prove I'm going senile I forgot to take my camera (I picked it up then put it down to go and get my gloves and forgot to pick the bloody thing up again!!!) so all the pictures below were taken with my phone which accounts for the quality.
Interestingly there was a Napier Lion aero engine on display with a reference to the Napier Railton car at Brooklands.
The MG TA pictured brought back a few memories, my first car was a TC, the model after that one, it was a worn out heap but I loved it.
Unfortunately I couldn't afford to keep it and reluctantly sold it for a £100. I think of that now that you have to part with at least £25000 to own one.
As before more pictures in the second post

Sid
Attachments

Sidcar

Post by Sidcar » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:59 pm

And here's a few more.

Sid
Attachments

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Post by brettchallenger » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:14 pm

The De Havilland has got to be one of the most gorgeous aircraft ever made.

Sidcar

Post by Sidcar » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:13 pm

Agreed and there's still a few flying.
Go to classic-wings.co.uk hand them £99 and you can have a flight in one.

Sid