Headsets

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
bigrnm
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 w/premium audio, comfor package, Navigation/ABS systems

Headsets

Postby bigrnm » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:57 pm

On a new topic,
I don't ride with a helmet, but I want to utilize my intercom/cb system on my GL1800. Haven't done so yet. I would like to find a no helmet headset system that is comfortable. I read about this IMC product, but the reviews state that it is really uncomfortable after about an hour.
Any ideas on this.?
Thanks,
Big "R"

lhelber
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Headsets

Postby lhelber » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:31 pm

I have seen some in the ear plugs that are supposed to also connect to the sounds system. I don't remember seeing them with a microphone though. Other than that everything else I see requires a helmet to mount in.

Keener
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby Keener » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:17 pm

We used IMC headsets on our GL1200 for several years and while we found them satisfactory, they were very fragile. This year, we switched to J&M HS-8154B-OF and have noticed a great improvement. They are much sturdier, the speakers are better, there is far less background hiss and wind noise and communciation between my wife and I at highways speeds much more clear. More money for the J&M system but well worth it.

Hope this helps.

lhelber
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby lhelber » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:46 pm

I have a couple of J&Ms now too. I am pretty happy with them the cheap set (around $70) picks up a little more wind noise but my 584 in the Nolan helmet are much better. Time to upgrade my co-rider helmet.

nsjoe
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800A

Postby nsjoe » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:11 am

I'm not aware of any headsets for use with no helmet, but I'm sure you could fabricate what you need from any of the existing headsets. Just splice the wires going to the helmet speakers into ear buds and replace the boom mic with a bone or throat mic. This site has really good products: http://www.earphoneconnect.com/. I don't know if they would be able to fit the 5 pin connector that goes into the bike or not, but maybe. If not, they probably have an adapter they would do it.
Joe
Darksider #493

bigrnm

Postby bigrnm » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:14 am

Thanks for the info guys. On those J&Ms for $70 lhelber, were those for use without helmet?

lhelber
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby lhelber » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:47 am

That $70 set were HS8154B. They came with a 5 pin cord that hooks up to all Hondas. They are designed for use in helmets. Sorry. There was not a lot to them for trying to modify them to work without a helmet. 2 loose speakers with small wires attached to a clamp that went on the helmet and held the microphone. I think the problem you are going to have with a helmetless headset is keeping them on in 70+ mph winds. I think that is why the headsets designed for use without a helmet are so uncomfortable. In order to stay on and in place they would have to squeeze the head pretty hard. Any amount of pressure would start to hurt after a short period of time.

I know at Americade this year I saw a couple of vendors that were making ear plugs that filled the ear canal. I think they can also put speakers in them if you are looking for better music fidelity than your faring speakers. They didn't have microphones so they wouldn't help with an intercom or CB. Since I wasn't in the market I didn't pick up any cards.

bigrnm

Postby bigrnm » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:05 pm

Thanks lhelber. I understand what you mean. does make sense. Damn!!

lhelber
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby lhelber » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:53 pm

bigrnm what were you trying to accomplish? I often just use the fairing speakers for listening to the radio even with the helmet on. I think it sounds a little better and I don't get as much of a headache. I also have a friend that co-rides with me and doesn't have a headset in her helmet and we are able comminicate even with the helmets on at speed. We just don't "chatter" while riding. This is not always a bad thing :D The other side I like having the intercom when riding with my son because it is the only time I can really get him to talk. I think he just likes using the intercom and I get the benefit of chatting with him.

bigrnm

Postby bigrnm » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:46 pm

Well lhelber, I completely understand about the "chatter" part. Silence is bliss sometimes. But often we like to discuss where we want to head to, eat, stop for a quick look on a scenic route, etc., and/or discuss other topics on our mind at the time. It is nice not to have to shout at each other, back and forth. Not only that, I usually have to turn my head so as to talk to her so she can hear, and that is not good. I would rather keep my head forward and speak in a normal voice while having the unusual conversation. Also, I have friends that do have the intercom/cb connection, and I would like to talk to them, for the same reasons I mentioned above. flickering the headlamps doesn't usually work too well, especially if I am two or three behind, or more. That is usually the main reason for having it. And my wife hates wearing a helmet, and I do too. I have one, but usually don't wear it unless it is really cold outside. And even then, I have other forms of keeping warm, so the helmet I have, I have had it for about 20 years, and it is still like brand new, inside and out.
I guess I just like to be different than most people.
Thanks Ihelber.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”