Rant about Previous Owners

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Rant about Previous Owners

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:17 pm

In my mind, if you aren’t going to do something right, don’t do it at all.
I’m in the process of going through my recently purchased GL1500 to verify that all of the maintenance has been done.
I’m appalled at some of the things that I’m finding.
• One of my front fender covers was loose. When I removed it to look, the grommet was missing and the PO had wrapped tape around the tab to keep it on. Ordered a grommet to replace it.
• The left wheel cover was held on by a bolt & washer (probably from Home Depot) and the brake line stabilization clips were gone. There were also only 2 of the 3 there. Ordered new bolts, flanges and clips to replace.
• The wheel covers have the “ring of fire” option, but the PO said that they didn’t work. Found out that the wires had been clipped off at the edge of the cover. I haven’t figured out what to do with this yet.
• In taking off the seat, all 4 bolts have been replaced with ones again probably from Home Depot. At least they match, but had a heck of a time getting a socket to fit into the grab rail hole. Haven’t yet, but ordering new bolts to replace.
• The seat had a small tear in the seam and a big vinyl “patch” covering the whole inside portion, so I figured that it should be replaced. I got another seat off eBay to replace it and with what I saw there, figured I could sell the old one for a few bucks to recover some of the cost. I removed the patch and there was nothing wrong with the rest of the seat. They had glued this piece of vinyl on for nothing.
• The old seat had a nice backrest attached, so I proceeded to swap it over to the new seat. The PO had cross-threaded the bolts and they immediately broke off when I tried to remove them. Had to order another mounting bracket.
• Removing the side pockets, I noticed that neither had all 4 screws and one that was there had been replaced with a slotted screw. On a side note, I did find one of the screws later lodged in a seam of the alternator. Replaced all with correct screws.
• Since I have an Interstate, I wanted to use the auxiliary jack plug, so I started searching through the wiring. I found several splices that I still haven’t figured out since the wires are clipped and just hanging there. A bundle just below the ignition switch that just ends in barrel connectors and one bundle that was wrapped in blue painters tape! I’ve fixed what I can, ordered and installed the missing auxiliary jack plug.
• When I changed the oil, it was thick and black. Probably hadn’t been done in 15k. The air filter was almost as black as the oil.

The bike is clean and has relatively low miles (58k), so I’ll get it to where it should be.
It just seems like the PO was more interested in adding the chrome and accessories (which I’m grateful) than doing maintenance.

Ok, rant over, I’ve got to return to see what else I can find. :D

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Re: Rant about Previous Owners

Postby maintainer » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:57 pm

Yep, yeah, and yes.
Some people,
they shouldn't be allowed to maintain or work on things.
Buying used bikes can a lot like unwrapping a present,
a really crummy present,
with many items you didn't expect or want..

They consider themselves innovative and thrifty,

I just call 'em what they are, ..........RIGGER'S. :evil:
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

NVSB4
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:00 pm

maintainer wrote:I just call 'em what they are, ..........RIGGER'S. :evil:

Over the last two months, I called them a lot of other choice names, but hadn't thought of rigger. :D

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:15 pm

This does not only apply to previous owners. The best mechanics at dealerships can screw up too, although probably not so many times on the same bike. I had the brake recall done on my GL1800 when those were being done. When the mechanic reasembled, he had lost a grommet for the right side chromed plastic cover (over the brake reservoir and oil filler) so he put it together without it. I was riding down the highway and the cover fell off, to be run over by a car. I got another cover and a new grommet to replace the lost one (used the old grommets that I recovered from the beat up cover) and submitted the bill to the dealership. The owner was pissed and did not want to pay for it. In the end, he did, but I will take my service business elsewhere, except for recalls. This was pretty minor and had no safety issues involved, but it shows that some people should definitely not work on OTHER peoples bikes, :lol: .
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

NVSB4
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:46 pm

themainviking wrote:When the mechanic reasembled, he had lost a grommet for the right side chromed plastic cover (over the brake reservoir and oil filler) so he put it together without it.

One would think that at a dealership the mechanic would know better and have the stock on hand to replace it.
Maybe it's a pride in workmanship issue that's the underlying cause for all this.
Brings me back to my opening line, "If you aren't going to do something right, don't do it at all".

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:24 pm

How about when you do electrical work and you discover that the PO used wire nuts to hold it together.
An accessory that was wired in with 6' of wire and 3 glass fuses in holders.
Those were two things I had found on my 1993 GL1500A.
I haven't gotten into the GL650I yet, wonder what I'll find?
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

NVSB4
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:49 pm

trike lady wrote:How about when you do electrical work and you discover that the PO used wire nuts to hold it together.

When I got my previous Wing (GL1200), the PO had replaced the radio with a car stereo with a CD player.
Of course it wouldn't fit, so they had formed an "extender" made out of wood and held together and in place with drywall screws into the dash.
They too had over 6 foot of speaker wire, tied all in with wire nuts, to the 6x9 speakers they had cut holes in the saddlebags to mount.
It was also wired directly to the battery, so was potentially on all of the time.
One of the worst parts was that it had a Spanish CD stuck in the player and wouldn't go into any other mode (like AM or FM).
Needless to say, that mess was the first to go.

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:11 am

Sounds like you are not very good at buying used bikes.... :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding....Mr. I'm gonna rant over something you did yourself,,, you bought it right? :shock: Must of been cheap... :D

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:14 am

Buying any vehicle 15-30 years old is a crap shoot. I've got stories too. I've got experience working with my hands and a background working on technical things and I feel like I can correct things. Maybe not space shuttle perfect, but sound and reliable. Some of the things I've seen done left me thinking the person didn't have the means to pay a professional and he did the best he could. Sometimes it would have been better just to leave it alone and not even try. Other times I think to myself that I travel on roads with other vehicles beside me which have been worked on by these people. Have you ever passed something laying in the roadway and wonder how it got there?

NVSB4
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:44 am

When buying a used bike (or whatever), you have to access as much as possible in a short time, but you can only take into account what you can initially see, hear and smell.
I have a side business buying and selling cars (only about 1 a month or so). When I go to auctions, sometimes I get time to look over and drive the cars, other times I only get to see it as it is being driven past. I've got to be able to spot issues, determine repair costs quickly and bid accordingly. I've been burned a couple of times, but more often than not I've been successful. Like these bikes, it's been something that is hidden until you start tearing things apart.
Yes, with the radio on the 1200, it was apparent that it was done wrong and would need repair. There were other problems with the bike and I took them all into consideration in the price that I paid and yes, it was cheap. I paid $1500 for an '86 Aspy with 60k miles, rode it for 5 years doing only maintenance and consumables (plus the radio) and sold it for $1800.
On initial inspection, my current 1500 ran well (and still does) and had no issues whatsoever with the plastics or paint. I took off the price for a replacement seat as it was obvious and paid a very decent price of $3500 for a '92 with 56k miles and a lot of added accessories.
I have found nothing wrong with the bike, only the shoddy workmanship and maintenance done when I got to do the deep dive.

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

NVSB4
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:57 am

tom84std wrote:Some of the things I've seen done left me thinking the person didn't have the means to pay a professional and he did the best he could. Sometimes it would have been better just to leave it alone and not even try.

I've gone to auctions and see late model cars that are completely torn up on the inside with trash still in the back seats and trunk, but they had the 22" rims.
You've got to know that maintenance wasn't high on the priority list.

I also love the "There, I fixed that" site. Too many head shakes and slaps to the forehead when going through the pictures.

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:01 pm

Ohhhhhhh, never one time did you say you were an auction buyer,,,, I thought you just bought them from individuals,, that's a completely different situation then... I get it ....Enjoy your rant.....I had a 79 chrome fender on my 81 GL when I got it,,,,, they were making it a naked bike,, I ws bewildered when I got the proper fender for it...Totally different... :shock: Turn signals were taped together with duct tape.....thank goodness for diagrams and photo's of parts....I ws lost....

NVSB4
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:12 pm

littlebeaver wrote:Ohhhhhhh, never one time did you say you were an auction buyer,,,, I thought you just bought them from individuals,, that's a completely different situation then

I did buy the bikes from individuals. In Texas it takes a different dealers license for different things and mine is only for cars.

littlebeaver wrote:I had a 79 chrome fender on my 81 GL when I got it,,,,, they were making it a naked bike,, I ws bewildered when I got the proper fender for it...Totally different... :shock: Turn signals were taped together with duct tape.....thank goodness for diagrams and photo's of parts....I ws lost....

I definitely have become friends with the different phish diagrams and manuals looking up parts. I've also gotten strange looks when I ask someone to look at a particular part on their bike to see how it's supposed to be put together.

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:17 pm

Quite a few of these types of stories and pictures on this thread as well: Nightmare work by previous owners

NVSB4
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:44 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Quite a few of these types of stories and pictures on this thread as well: Nightmare work by previous owners

Wow, after reading some of these, I feel a lot better about the shape mine is in.
It still amazes me what goes through some people's head when they are doing stuff like that.

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Postby offcenter » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:03 pm

Been there. Seen that.
My 76 GL-1000 had a bunch of nightmare work.
How about the thick black epoxy smeared over the OUTSIDE of the engine case below the waterpump housing to fix an oil leak from a gasket? I had to chisel all that stuff off before I put it back together.
And wiring for the lights on the saddle bags.....I pulled about 15 feet of lamp zip cord wire out of there that was used
for those lights! 15 feet of wire to go a distance of about two feet on either side!!!!
....and I haven't gotten into the wiring that goes to the Windjammer fairing yet!! That's a mess too!

Edit: Oh yeah! Some jackass WELDED the Windjammer mounting frame to the Goldwing's frame!
What a bunch of idiots! Eventually I'll have to spend the time, very carefully, with a dremel tool
and cut all those welds to remove that Windjammer mount.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:36 pm

Yeah but all you guys had a wonderful time cussing the PO and you know it...You guys are on a witch hunt, I can tell....Out for blood.... :lol: :lol: You got it the way it should be and that's good....remind me not to try to sell you me bike....LOL :lol: :lol:

NVSB4
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:34 am

littlebeaver wrote:remind me not to try to sell you me bike.

Very true come to think of it. We've seen pictures of the things like your fork press.
Not much telling what you have replaced with wood and bolts on your bikes. :lol:

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:55 am

heyyyyyy......ha ha ha ha ha........Who cares if it wobbles a little and is held together duct tape it runs well... lol....Oh and what's a little smoke from the wiring,, it's mine....I shall never sell it...it's personalized....
this tool put my new progressives down into it's place in about 1 minute,, if this is what you are referring to....While others are wrestling with it I''m done...
this tool put my new progressives down into it's place in about 1 minute,, if this is what you are referring to....While others are wrestling with it I''m done...

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:20 pm

When I purchase used vehicles I always plan on spending $2000.00 on all the little things that you don't see until you dig into it. I have been surprised a few times and found everything in good shape. It is like Christmas morning find all the things that were rigged that would have been easier to fix right. I got some great deals on things because of hidden problems that were doctored. They sold it cheap because they thought it was a major issue and it turns out to be a few dollar repair. I bought something once I could tell by the way the owner was acting there was something wrong. After a few awkward questions I low balled an offer not knowing what I was getting. I got it home and started taking it apart and found the issues. A $100.00 in parts is all it took to make it right. If the owner would have told me what the problem was I would have paid a few thousand more. I love the adventure used vehicles bring.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”