Thanks for the help

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
jdavidsmit
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Goldwing
first "bike" 1963 mini bike with 3.5HP B&S motor.
2nd 1966 Honda 50
3rd 1967 Honda 90
4th 1970 125
5th 1987 GL1100

Thanks for the help

Postby jdavidsmit » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:23 pm

To day the wife decided we would have Chinese carry out for dinner, from where we live its about 30 miles round trip and as i have not had the bike out for a while, i decided to ride. started up no problem been setting about 2 weeks, we been on a missions trip where we took the motor home and towed the car. any way about 5 miles from home i notice the volt gauge was only showing 7.9 volts. better get her home. being on a narrow 2 lane country road the first side road i came to turned around and as i was waiting for a car to pass she died and would not even click, when i hit the starter. called the wife to come and get me, while waiting checked everything i could fuses all good, battery cables tight, etc.. locked her up and drove home, got the trailer and tie down straps, bottle of water and back i went. backed the trailer in but to get the car off the road i was about 15ft pass the bike. no big deal right, put her in nutural, and start pushing, went back about a foot and the front tire dropped off the pavement. i was able to keep her up but could not get it back on the pavement so there i sat. the bike was to low to get the side stand down, but not low enough to let it set on a crash bar. i rocked, i pulled, rocked and pulled, but i could not move her. after about 20 min a man and his wife stopped and asked if i needed help, and he agreed to help me out of the hole, go her on the pavement and up to the bottom of the ramp, i turned around to thank the man and he was driving off. i did to get to say thanks or shake his hand.
as i was getting the wench ready a couple of guys on wings rode up and offered assistance, but i was at the point where i just needed to wench her on the trailer, and strap her down.
as she was loading i had another guy stop and just watch, all he said was, so that's how you do it, and drove off.
so i continued on, got the Chinese for dinner, just came back in from hooking up the charger so i will be able to get her into the garage and tear into what ever may be the problem. my guess alternator, to my knowledge its original equipment.

David

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Thanks for the help

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:44 am

It's interesting the difference in people that stop to help.

I will always stop and check on any biker I see sitting at the side of the road. While driving home from work one day I helped a particularly scary-looking Harley rider untangle a sweatshirt from his rear sprocket that he had run over on the highway, and that had locked up his rear wheel. The two of us together were able to get it cut out and removed, and he got back on the road. Nice guy, but probably not the kind of guy you'd approach and talk to in everyday life. I helped another Harley-riding couple get their brake pedal reconnected a couple weeks ago after a bolt vibrated loose and was lost. I helped a young girl with a GSX-R1000(!) on the side of the highway with a bad stator and a dead battery, charged up her battery with my GL1100 and got her home.

If I can help, I always will.

jdavidsmit
2nd 1966 Honda 50
3rd 1967 Honda 90
4th 1970 125
5th 1987 GL1100

Postby jdavidsmit » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:20 am

Update this morning. had the charger going all night on 3 amp charge circuit. then i turned on the key , not trying to start the amp guage only showed 11.2 volts??. got the bike off the trailer and she started fine but the most voltage it would show was 11.6 and as it ran it dropped to 11.5, get her in the garage now.
pull the battery out and volt meter showed 12 volts but the water was low all cells, refilled and put back on charger, charger showed battery at 80% going to let it charge for a bit and check again.

i do have a question. where do most people tap into 12 volts to install a digital volt meter, I'm using the top two post in the fuse box and installed the meter in place of the gold wing plack in between the radio and the key. (i have no idea what that plastic is called) a little bright at night but i get a good reflection of the volts off the wind shield so i don't have to look down.
David

jdavidsmit
2nd 1966 Honda 50
3rd 1967 Honda 90
4th 1970 125
5th 1987 GL1100

Postby jdavidsmit » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:29 pm

2nd update
Battery showed 100% charged; after i reinstalled it, turned on the key the volt meter showed 11.7 volts, let it idle for a few min and the volts went up to 12.7. after taking her out of the garage, the volts went up to 13.6 and if i increased the engine speed up to 3000 RPM the volts went up to 13.8 and 13.9. back at idle it dropped to 12.9 to 13.1 settling down to 12.9. the cooling fans came on and it dropped to 12.7, high beams on 12.5 increased speed back up to 13.9

i ran it for over an hour and even with the fans on it never dropped below 12.5 when the fans, radio, brake lights, flashers and headlight on bright were all on at the same time.

i did not know that a battery problem could cause the alternator to stop working.
David

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:58 pm

jdavidsmit wrote:2nd update
Battery showed 100% charged; after i reinstalled it, turned on the key the volt meter showed 11.7 volts, let it idle for a few min and the volts went up to 12.7. after taking her out of the garage, the volts went up to 13.6 and if i increased the engine speed up to 3000 RPM the volts went up to 13.8 and 13.9. back at idle it dropped to 12.9 to 13.1 settling down to 12.9. the cooling fans came on and it dropped to 12.7, high beams on 12.5 increased speed back up to 13.9

i ran it for over an hour and even with the fans on it never dropped below 12.5 when the fans, radio, brake lights, flashers and headlight on bright were all on at the same time.

i did not know that a battery problem could cause the alternator to stop working.

Unlike the stator in the four-cylinder wings, which is just a coil of wire with a magnet spinning inside it, an alternator has no magnet. Instead, it uses field coils, and it uses battery power to energize those field coils to generate a magnetic field. The regulator regulates the amount of current in the field coils to regulate the output of the alternator. If there's no power available from the battery to energize the field coil, the alternator won't function.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”