Never too old

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Never too old

Postby redial » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:28 am

Whether it be a GW or a rider. I am 73 years young, and have a number of ailments, including heart disease, hypertension (blood pressure), gout, diabetes 2, L2 and L3 have been damaged, L1 is diseased, and, the clincher, Alzheimers. I have had gout for the last 30years, so I can deal with that. The heart disease is being kept at bay with medications and exercise. The diabetes 2 is being kept at bay with exercise, diet, and one pill a day. The spine is okay, as long as I do not have to stand too long. Alzheimers which I was diagnosed with about 5 years ago is still under current review with a CT scan and MRI scans still to be considered by the neurologist. The Alzheimers is being controlled by exercise, a patch, and an anti-depressant pill. All in all, I feel good, and can do most things, but not too much. My morning walks are around 1 hour in duration, and I go most mornings if it is not raining - as we do not have periods of rain very often, I walk most days. We have four dogs, and I take two, and my wife takes the other two for a walk each day.

Against my wife's best advice, I have purchased a 1977 GL1500, built for the Australian market! It is a one owner, and very well kept and maintained. (He kept records of the maintenance that has been performed, and that was a clincher for me!). The only trouble was that I had to fly to get to it, as it was located about 1400 Kms away, but he agreed to ride it to the nearest airport. So I was up at 0500 to drive to the Adelaide airport, catch a flight at 0730, fly to Sydney New South Wales (NSW), then catch another flight to Dubbo NSW. I arrived at around 12:40 and had arranged to meet him in the carpark. He was not hard to find, as it was the only GW in the carpark.

After having a quick look, and handing over the cash, a receipt was written, and the transfer of the registration was effected. I then got on and started on my 1100 Km ride back home. About 3:00pm it started to rain, so I decided that discretion was the better choice, and headed for a motel. Parking was under the building, so the GW was protected from the elements for that night.

Next morning was cold and foggy. But I was up early, from having a good sleep in the warmth, and wanted to get some more Kms under the belt before too long. I knew I was heading into foggy areas and rode accordingly. When the temperature got to 0C (32F), I decided to try the new product that I had just purchased called "Hot Hands" (excellent product and kept my hands warm inside my leather gloves). I had to wipe the foggy dew off the windscreen so I pulled over and wiped the screen with a spare set of underwear. There is a temperature, clock, and voltmeter already fitted, and it was flashing to tell me to watch out for Black Ice.

After riding for about 2 hours, I stopped for breakfast at a truck stop. There was ice about 25mm (about 1inch) thick on the tables on the outside, so I walked inside to the warmth of the interior. Mind you, I was noticeable, in my Hi Vis orange top and trousers, both allegedly rainproof. With all the reflective stripes, and a big X in reflective on my back (was that for target practice?) no one could say that I was inconspicuous. I then moved on to the infamous "Hay plains" which is long, flat, and uninteresting. I thought I would refuel before tackling that long ride, and have something to eat and a mug of tea. Whilst negotiating the car park, a "duelly" reversed at me, and I had to let the GW have a rest. A young guy (they are all younger than me now :roll: ), came over and offered to help me up with the GW. With the two of us it was not a problem, and I was back and safe, with no damage, except to my pride!

I traversed the 132 Km remaining of the Hay Plains, without incident - just as well, as there are no petrol/gasoline fuel outlets, no houses, no telephones, but a few rest areas if you feel that way inclined. I observed a few emu in the fields adjacent to the road, but luckily none on the road, and there were no sheep or cattle wandering the Queen's highway, so a safe journey for the critters as well as the rider. The temp had risen to around 15C (about 60F), with no wind, and cloudless sky, so it was enjoyable after the cold start in the morning. I pulled in early to another motel, and had another warm night, comfortable hot shower, and was ready for the remainder of my journey. Not an early start, and a leisurely ride home. I was home by 4pm, and with the new-to-me GW performing faultlessly, I was glad to be back, and received a very warm welcome from wife and the four dogs. The chooks (aka chickens) could not care less, as long a they get fed and can get out of the wind and weather, they are happy.

The red 1977 GL1500 Aspencade, with sheep-skin seat covers is a dream come true. My wife took a photo and I will post it when she sends it on to me. The GW has around 278xxx Kms, but as I have learned from this site, as long as they are maintained, they will run like a sewing machine for a long time. Perhaps I will nickname it "Singer" - a name synonymous with sewing machines. Will have to give that more thought.

To those that have lasted through this piece, thanks for reading. To those that havent lasted this long, too bad.

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Never too old

Postby dingdong » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:34 am

Congratulations on the new to you "1977" gl1500 Aspy. Alzheimer's ??? ;) Nice to hear you are doing well maintaining your health problems. I just turned 71 but I am very fortunate, My only problem is hypertension (If I remember correctly) which is easily controlled. Keep on riding.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:55 pm

Congratulations to both of you. I'm only 67, and hope to still be riding when your age. Guys like you are an inspiration to All us younguns.
Also redial congrats on your new to you ride. Sounds like a great adventure picking it up. I wish you many happy safe miles.
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:21 am

I take my hat (helmet) off to you Redial. You are an inspiration to us all.

Perhaps your attitude and approach to life is why Australians have always punched above their weight on the international sports scene - especially the Olympics. Though I hope not much of it has rubbed off on to your cricket team as the Ashes tour is about to start.

I am so tempted, given your description of "ice on the tables" to get my own back and tell you about our glorious hot weather, long summer evenings with even warmer beer etc. But I won't.

Thanks for the post.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Postby Sidcar » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:04 am

Crumbs Redial, talk about the joys of growing old, good luck to ya.
One thought that immediately sprang to mind was "how long since Redial had to endure temps of 32f?".
Did you stand there wondering what the shivering sensation was until the realisation came "My God I'm feeling cold !" A little reminder of what the rest of us have to put up with.
Never mind I can see you this week sitting on the verandah, feet up, selection of cold drinks to hand, admiring your "new" Goldwing whilst listening to the Ashes on Test Match Special, with a lot more joy than the England supporters I fear.
Happy riding

Sid

oldbikes
Motorcycle: 86 honda

Postby oldbikes » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:29 am

Thanks for the inspiration Redial
I have almost the same medical history except for the altzhimers, The Gout is by far the worst for me when it kicks in I spend a lot of time sitting on the couch.

Glad to hear you had the good luck of finding a well preserved bike you wanted, one of the best Wings I had was a gl 1000.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:02 am

I am really happy for you Kapunda Len, on the NTY (new to you) 1500. Also very happy to hear about the ice on tables and riding in 0C temps. All that is familiar. We, however have been having beautiful weather here in the Great North of America, with 24C temps every day and blue skies till they become a bit boring. I was just 1400 kms from my home to a bike rally called Atlanticade and back and it was a really nice trip. The Atlanticade rally, not so much. It co-located this year with a Rib Fest which kinda turned it into a nothing of a rally but a great rib fest as it had all those bikers with nothing to do but eat ribs. There were vendors, but mostly of leather chaps, and t-shirts, with some jewelery thrown in. No real motorcycle related anything really, except for the attendees. No pictures as I do not care to memorialize this event, LMAO. All in all, better riding weather than you, Len, which I am happy to relate. Hawwwwww, snork.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Postby brettchallenger » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:39 am

themainviking wrote: and blue skies till they become a bit boring.

Nope, blue skies can never get boring. You should live in Northern England for a few months, it would put a very different perspective on "50 shades of grey".
The game's afoot;

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 108,900 miles

Postby AZgl1800 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:09 am

that was a wonderful read Redial...

I am 72-1/2 but who is counting? :roll:

I recently last January found me a 'new bike', an '02 GL1800 which has a very young odometer on it also, at 98,500 miles. She runs like new, and with regular maintenance, I expect that bike to last until I can no longer keep a bike upright.

For the most part, I'm in pretty good health except for the side effects of a semi-truck broadsiding me back in '08. The thermostat in my head no longer regulates my body temperature, so I have to be careful of my environment.

Memory issues are another side effect, I can remember 30, 40, 50, years ago pretty good, but if it is new to me now, it don't stay with me.... names never did anyway, so what else is new?

Back in 2010 a couple years after my accident, I caught a ride in the sky from Phoenix, AZ down to Tampa, FL and bought a '98SE.... took a couple of weeks to ride that one back home. Found friends along the way and over-nighted or stayed 2 or 3 days with each of them. caught a couple or three hotels and got some rest that way too. The 1500s are very good road coaches, very comfortable, and I enjoyed mine a lot.

Glad you were able to acquire another bike to keep you occupied in your retirement years... Mine is a great joy to me.
John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

redial

Postby redial » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:27 pm

The cold weather gods have been aroused by my mouthing off about the good weather, so they have sent a blast of cold air from the Antarctic, and mixed it with some wind and rain. There is snow in the higher parts of the country, but we, in the better part of the country, 8-) are better off. No riding this weekend, as it is currently 8.5C (about 47.5F) at 1pm, I think that I will stay in. The chooks/chickens have decided to stay inside, even though I left the gate open for them to free range - I think there is a message for me there! ;)

I have walked two of the dogs, and have two more to go. I am walking all of the dogs, where we would normally take two each, but spouse broke one of her little toes yesterday, so I am chief cook and bottle washer, with cups of tea and goodies in between. No complaints, in this weather it is good to remain inside and attend to kitchen duties.

Thanks for all of your good words, it shows that you can relate to this old fart's view of the world 8-)
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WINGER3
Motorcycle: current 2005 GL1800ABS previous GL1200A GL1500K GL1100A CB350 GL650I VFR1000 ST1100 GL1200A GL1500I + many other brands

Postby WINGER3 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:07 am

Hi redial; It was a great read and glad you made it back home safe and sound. I'm also just a young lad of 74 and this week picked up a very nice 05 GL1800A and have put my pristine 85 GL1200A on ebay for some lucky guy or gal to enjoy like I have. I have had 2 GL1500 and both where great bikes, so I know you will have a great time with yours and yes, with care they will last many 100 thousand miles. Take care ride safe. :mrgreen:
DON'T DESTROY IT-RESTORE IT

jandjgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500, 1992 FXDC, 1976 CB750

Postby jandjgoldwing » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:10 pm

I'm 71, ride a GL1500, retired and live in a warm climate where I can ride nearly the entire year. Riding helps keep me in shape. So does a wife, all 5' of her, who also has a scoot (Daytonaese for motorcycle). We have a marvelous bluetooth system that keeps us in communications, navigates, plays tunes and eliminates the need to stay close through traffic signals. Some would use that as a segue, joking that we can't get away from each other even on a scoot, but we don't want that kind of getaway. You see, the one thing that's better than riding is having someone to enjoy it with.

bassaw
Motorcycle: 1997 Honda Goldwing GL 1500 Aspencade

Postby bassaw » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:03 am

What a great story Redial and being an old retired bugger as well I can relate to your situation. I have recently bought a 1997 Red 1500 and it may be 18 yrs old but it looks and rides like it just came out of the showroom. For those of you who don't really know much about Australia it's big, very big. I live in Perth the capital of Western Australia. They say that Texas fits inside WA 2 1/2 times, now that is big! Anyway like Redial I was looking for a really good 1500 anywhere between 1988 and 2000 and could not find the right bike in WA at a reasonable price. So I too looked interstate and eventually found my lovely unmodified in any way little girl in Melbourne. After some fairly tense negotiation and what seemed like hundreds of photo's emails and phone calls, I finally arranged to Fly the some 4000 kms to look at the bike. I fell in love for a second time with this beautiful Spectra Red (my favorite color) Aspy. I gave the man his money and rode it to the other side of town in the pouring rain and very cold temps. It was to far for me ride back to WA so I had a bikes only transport it home. I have now had it here for just over a month and I have indulged her a little with many selected chrome presents mainly thanks to CruiserCustomizing and Amazon. So to cut to the chase, I must say just like Redial, that this has made me feel like the passion has never left me from my earlier days of biking. The enjoyment and comments I receive when we go for a run makes me feel like I'm part of a wonderful family of people with such a great binding interest. The common thread here I think is give someone something to live for and they will. And is there any better way than being part of the Worldwide Biker community! Ride safe and enjoy it while you can regardless of make, model and size. ;)

Paulcf
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Massively Heavy Luxury Touring

Postby Paulcf » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:15 pm

Hey just a moment! I thought it never rained in Oz? We always hear of frightful droughts and wildfires (like in California)...but glad to hear you get moisture as the world's climate is changing inevitably (and has in eons past).
I have to agree, never too old...and if a Goldwing is what keeps you moving, whatever your moving may be (sorry Tylenol ads!) then ride on! I am sure Honda would never have expected a Goldwing to mobilize and inspire so many of us in so many diverse manners.
I keep getting drawn to the 'dark side' of buying a convertible sports car but when I look at my Wing, finally equipped the way I always wanted it, it's like a puppy I can't part with!

Old age? It is a privilege not enjoyed by everyone. I guess Harley rides did get this saying right: Ride to Live, Live to Ride.
MOBILIS IN MOBILI

bassaw

Postby bassaw » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:43 pm

Hey Paulcf, We are talking Melbourne here it rains heaps and Sydney, but Western Australia is very dry and great for rides let me tell you.
We have the world Vulcan Riders gathering happening here later this year in Perth which promises to be an outstanding event for our State.
FYI, I spent 8 yrs in Vancouver as a child and only ever remember it raining most of the time!
Anyway, sadly Wings are not over popular here for some reason, because most of this State is highway running which as we know Wings are specifically good at.
May be we could have a World Wing Ride here, (WWR that's snappy) that would shake the locals up.
I say God Bless all Wings and those that ride them, I'm having mine buried with me when I go :lol:

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Postby brettchallenger » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:53 am

I'm having mine buried with me when I go

Tut, tut. Not very green that. If you are feeling a bit peaky you could perhaps send it to me. Same goes for those plastic, indestructible Australian dollars.
The game's afoot;

Tepcro
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Postby Tepcro » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:37 pm

I want to thank all of you who have inspired me to not feel too old!!
I'm 62 now and thinking maybe there is a chance that I might be getting too old for motorcycles.......
My wife and I just fininshed a 1350 mile ride and it did take a couple days to get over. ( i figured we rode too far too fast)

I'm in good health except for a bit of R.A. that is pretty well under control, if I quit riding then I might as well call it quits!
I'm not a quitter!

Again my hat is off to all of you older than me for being an inspiration to me.

redial

Postby redial » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:28 pm

Same goes for those plastic, indestructible Australian dollars.

In case some people may not be aware, our currency has notes that are made from a polymer. They are several layers pressed together, to produce a note. The polymer (aka plastic) notes are fairly indestructible, withstanding tearing, washing, crumpling, sun, and cold.

They are different colours for the different denominations: $100 green (I have been told I am not allowed to have those :roll: ); $50 yellowy brown; $20 reddish orange; $10 blue; and, $5 violet/purple. Our coins are $2 (gold coloured, but the last time gold was in them was when Adam was in short pants); $1 also gold coloured; $0.50 multi-faceted silver coloured (like the $2 coin, a long time since any silver); $0.20 silver; $0.10 silver; $0.05 silver. The government dispensed with 1 and 2 cent coins, so all purchases are rounded off, except if you are paying by a credit/debit card.
Len in Kapunda

Sidcar

Postby Sidcar » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:48 am

My condolences Redial, ashes to ashes.

Sid

bassaw

Postby bassaw » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:11 am

Hey Redial, It's a shame our Aussie dollar isn't more indestructible against the green back Eh! 73 cents, Wow I can't buy many goodies for the Aspy at this rate.

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Postby brettchallenger » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:02 am

My condolences Redial, ashes to ashes.

And I was being so retrained. I wasn't going to mention the Ashes once. Ten or twenty times maybe.
The game's afoot;

redial

Postby redial » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:13 pm

I am severely disappointed that the Ozzies could not see the way clear to fight back like they did in the 2nd test. Their performance was miserable, and the Poms need to regain some pride and have a lend of the Ashes for a short while. :?
Len in Kapunda

Sidcar

Postby Sidcar » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:28 am

A good ashes team is the one that wins away from home.

Sid

bassaw

Postby bassaw » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:28 pm

Hey Tepcro, That's some ride man 1350 miles no wonder it took a couple of days to get over it.
The positive way to look at it is to say I'm going to do that again in 5,10 or even 15 years from now!
I belong to a riding club called Ulysses here in Perth and our moto is Grow Old Disgracefully.
We have guys and girls in their late seventies handling the rides up to 650kms a day really well.
A friend of mine belonging the Goldwing Club of Australia has a buddy in his eighties who goes on just about every ride regardless of weather conditions, now that's gutsy!
Hey your just a pup you've got a lot to look forward too and the same with me at 69 next month, my only real concern is also some RA.
But I find with some extra tabs and cream it's worth the extra effort to make the big rides!
After nearly 25 yrs in the military here I can do something I want to and not be held back by perceive rules of conduct and artificial tags.
I hope you grow old disgracefully and keep the dream alive, your not a quitter and that's a great outlook to have on life.

redial

Postby redial » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:37 am

Last week, I rode to Bordertown, South Australia, and back. It was a cool day, never getting above 15C (about 60F), in the hotter part of the day, but down to 2C (about 36F) by the time I got back. It is a tankful each way, so 300Km (about 200 miles), gave me 600Km,and I was cold by the time I got home.

Last Saturday, I got some good news!!!! I spent 3 hours with a Clinical Neuro-Psychologist, and she reckons that I do not have Alzheimers! but then she dropped the other boot, and said I have Vascular Dementia. From my research, I think I am at Stage 2 of 7 Stages, so there is still a road ahead for me, so I still plan on riding, and the Trick Cyclist (Psychologist) said that there is no reason to restrict my driving and riding licences at present. Hooray! :D

Len in Kapunda

Return to “Goldwing Chat”