cigarette lighters

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
ainsy

cigarette lighters

Postby ainsy » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:37 am

Trying to put cigarette lighter in the fairing of 1980 GW 1100 wondering if there are different lighters for bikes and cars having a hard time getting it to work can get power but not enough for the lighter , lighter does work , brand new , what am I doing wrong . :?:

MJSantos
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Re: cigarette lighters

Postby MJSantos » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:39 am

The current draw for the lighter could be too much for the bike's circuit. The plder wings do not have that much overhead current. If I recall the accessory fuse for the mike is only 5 amps. If you have any thing else added on like additional lights etc. then the total available current is down. Also your stator might be getting weak. Check your voltage at the battery with the engine running the press the lighter in and see what happens. If the voltage drops signifantly then the lighter will take forever to heat.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:46 pm

A cigarette lighter draws between 10 and 15 amps. The battery can easily supply this amount of power for the 30 seconds or so it takes to heat up the lighter. If you run 14 gauge wire directly to the battery, with a 10 or 15 amp fuse at the battery (put a 15 amp automotive relay on the wire if you want it to work only when the bike is turned on), you can wire the lighter directly to that. The lighter may draw down the battery (and cause the voltage to dip) when it is heating, but the bike's charging system will quickly recharge the battery afterward. I'd probably recommend only using it while the engine is running, however (and for 1100's and 1200's, when engine RPM is above 2500 RPM or so - lower than that, and the engine is also drawing down the battery).

N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

Postby N2PPN » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:02 pm

Smoking while riding??? Hmmm, when I was out riding the beach the other day I was smoking a Montecristo... I had to make sure the ashes didn't go somewhere they shouldn't (like on top of the "dashboard" of the fairing, or back in my face) So i can assume you need the cigarette lighter to run maybe a GPS or iPod???

WingAdmin is correct, directly run wires from the positive AND negative terminals of the battery... use no smaller than #14AWG wire for this and be sure to fuse it AT THE BATTERY SIDE OF THE CIRCUIT for 15 Amps. You put the fuse at the battery side so that if the wires rub and expose the conductor, if it shorts out it will blow the fuse rather than catch fire. The shorter the "unprotected or unfused" piece of wire, the safer the installation will be. The reason for running a separate ground or negative wire to the cigarette lighter is to insure that something like that that uses a lot of current, will have a good ground path, rather than relying on the brackets and other hardware that mount the fairing to the frame of the bike, which is grounded to the battery. It also will help to eliminate any electrical "noise" generated by the bike if you choose to use the cigarette lighter as a power source for mobile electronics. Try to get some "spiral wrap" or "wire loom" plastic covering (try Pep Boys, or an Auto Barn) for the wires to help protect them from heat, and abrasion.... if you want to do it right, remove the shelter to be able to run the wires and ty-rap them neatly along the frame tubes to keep them away from anything that could damage them.

I have run two 30 Amp fused circuits into my fairing for various electronics and extra fuse blocks, each has a separate ground and positive lead and all are fused at the battery. Good luck and be happy you don't live here in NY, they just raised cigarettes to 10 bucks a pack! Now I gotta stock up on cigars before they raise the taxes on those too!

Happy Riding!

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

Postby N2PPN » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Oops! I forgot to mention, use a "Marine" cigarette lighter, not only will it last a little longer, they usually are a little more attractive and can have little extras, like a map light included in them.

here is an example of what I mean:

http://www.iboats.com/SeaDog-SS-Cigaret ... w_id.39735

Enjoy!

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!

guitarlos
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Postby guitarlos » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:54 am

I have a ciggie lighter on my old Wing, 1980, through a Vetter fairing. Ive had no issues whatsoever. I use it once ina great while to light a ciggie and the rest of the time it runs my Monster FM Stransmitter for my Zune.

goldylocks
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Postby goldylocks » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:36 pm

I just fabricated a bracket that bolts up to the right of the instruments. I bought a socket (which came with the hot wire, a weather plug & a bracket I did not use) from O'Reiley's Auto for less than $6 made by Dorman PN 56415. I use it to power my GPS so I'm only running a 3 amp fuse back at the battery and have it switched with an illuminated toggle adjacent the socket using SAE polarized connectors so I can easily unplug up at the socket and power something else (and change out the fuse as needed).

Return to “Goldwing Chat”