ABS, why's and why nots?


Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
c5cruiser
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm
Location: Corona, CA
Motorcycle: 1969 Triumph T-90 350
1970 Honda 350
1975 Honda 750-4
2003 VTX/R
1960 Honda Trail 50
2004 GL1800A

ABS, why's and why nots?

Postby c5cruiser » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:12 am



Okay, so I've been looking for a GL for a few weeks now and have been riding for about 42 years now and never really cashed bad enough not to walk away replacing a broken turn signal or mirror and never with another vehicle. ABS wouldn't have helped. Just took turns too fast in my earlier days. Bottom line I'm a pretty obervant rider when it comes to other drivers.
My question, are ABS brakes really that important for me? Reason being is that I found a GL1800 with low miles, never dropped and wrecked and in very good condition. It has everything I want except ABS.
I can go with ABS on a similar priced bike and same year but 42k miles more. The one without ABS is in the low 30k's and the one with is in the mid 70k's. And both VIN's are clean. I know Wings go for a long time before engine replacement and major trans service but how long and not on my dime.
What do think? :?



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: ABS, why's and why nots?

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:37 am

I would love to have ABS on my bike. It helps primarily in two instances:

- Panic stops. The most common thing to happen during panic stops is locking of the rear wheel. The rear wheel then starts to slide out, and when you release the brake - hey presto, it snaps back in line - and if it's out far enough, could high-side you off the bike. Similarly, you can easily lock a front wheel during a panic stop, which will pretty much just slam you to the ground. ABS prevents either of these from happening.

- Foul weather. Anytime the road is not conducive to great traction: gravel, rain, oil, metal grates, whatever, it's easy to lock either wheel. Again, ABS prevents this from happening.

User avatar
c5cruiser
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm
Location: Corona, CA
Motorcycle: 1969 Triumph T-90 350
1970 Honda 350
1975 Honda 750-4
2003 VTX/R
1960 Honda Trail 50
2004 GL1800A

Re: ABS, why's and why nots?

Postby c5cruiser » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:16 am

Thanks WingAdmin for that.
I'm not really a "snow" type rider. I don't even like going out in the rain which doesn't mean I haven't been caught in it. I'm just a bit more careful now-a-days. And splitting lanes in traffic? Well, it's not for me. Anything can wait a few more minutes. Isn't that what it amounts to?

harvey01
Posts: 631
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 7:14 pm
Location: Henrico, Virginia
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: ABS, why's and why nots?

Postby harvey01 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:57 am

c5cruiser wrote:Thanks WingAdmin for that.
I'm not really a "snow" type rider. I don't even like going out in the rain which doesn't mean I haven't been caught in it. I'm just a bit more careful now-a-days. And splitting lanes in traffic? Well, it's not for me. Anything can wait a few more minutes. Isn't that what it amounts to?


Actually speed and truly bad weather such as snow are not what ABS is about. Yes it is great then, but it also can help you control the braking when you go around a blind curve and find a wet street due to rain or maybe spilled fuel oil or just covered in sand and you need to stop. You don't have to be going fast to run up oh a problem. I did it yesterday when I rode into a subdivision where there had just been a shower and all of a sudden had wet streets.

ABS is really just another tool to help us maintain control of a bike or other vehicle in situations where control would be difficult without ABS.

As far as buying a GL1800 with 70,000 I would not be really concerned if the owner can provide maintenance records and everything looks and works well. Many are now approaching 200,000 with no real problems and some are way beyond that mileage.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

User avatar
maintainer
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:39 am
Location: Houston, Texas
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Re: ABS, why's and why nots?

Postby maintainer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:07 am

I have had both, there is no real downside to ABS.
Linked brakes, I'm not as crazy about.
The heavier the bike and the larger the weight carrying capacity, the more crucial ABS is.
A heavier bike and rider or rider's the harder it is to get stopped and the easier it is to skid.
Depending on conditions, skidding is usually a negative thing that can, (not always) lead to an accident scenario.
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

User avatar
c5cruiser
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm
Location: Corona, CA
Motorcycle: 1969 Triumph T-90 350
1970 Honda 350
1975 Honda 750-4
2003 VTX/R
1960 Honda Trail 50
2004 GL1800A

Re: ABS, why's and why nots?

Postby c5cruiser » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:44 pm

Good points all. If 70000+ miles with good doc is the way to go then maybe ABS is the way to go. It's like a gun. Better to have one and not need it than need one and not have it.

User avatar
Fatwing Chris
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Ont.,Canada
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: ABS, why's and why nots?

Postby Fatwing Chris » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:52 pm

c5cruiser wrote:Good points all. If 70000+ miles with good doc is the way to go then maybe ABS is the way to go. It's like a gun. Better to have one and not need it than need one and not have it.


You hit the nail right on the head Bud!
When I picked up my 04 a couple of years ago the advert said it had ABS.I thought at the time I've never really needed it before so it really wasn't a selling point.2 weeks later I'm taking my son for a ride and a kid does a left turn right in front of me out from behind a van that was blocking both our view.No place to go and not really any time to do anything but grab all the brake I could.Bike stayed up and it snubbed up pretty quick without locking a wheel..Quick enough for the kid to get out of the road.Didn't miss him by much,but missed him.
Always been a fan of ABS on cars/trucks and after that a firm believer in Abs with 2 wheels also.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 108,900 miles

Re: ABS, why's and why nots?

Postby AZgl1800 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:14 pm

When I was looking for an 1800, I really did want to have ABS for the Safety Aspects of what it can do in one of the "ah dern it!!! slam on the brakes NOW" because someone just pulled out in front of you.

or, you are coming up to an intersection and need to come to a stop and the rain last night left some really fine sand on the pavement.... had that happen 3 months ago.... rear wheel slid out, got off the brake, it straightened up, but I lengthened my stopping distance.... fortunately, I try to stop with about a 100 feet of room left, and then crawl slow... so loosing 50-75 feet did not hurt me that time.

ABS is for those times when in spite of our best efforts a wheel locks up, we all know the feeling and most of us have been there.

for those of us who learned to ride on dirt bikes, old habits kick in real fast and saves the day.

for those who started out learning to ride on a big bike, they usually end up on the ground.

I ended up with a non-ABS bike simply because I could not afford the premium of getting one with ABS.

In your case, if it were me, I would buy the ABS bike and forget about the odometer reading. My bike had 96,333 miles on it when I got it and it feels like it just came off the showroom floor brand new. I figure it ought to outlast my ability to keep it up on 2 wheels. I'm 72 now, so if it goes for another 10-15 years, I will be happy.
John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

User avatar
DarthJ
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:47 pm
Location: El Paso, TX
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Re: ABS, why's and why nots?

Postby DarthJ » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:49 pm

ABS is definitely great for those "Oh, s#!%!" panic stops. As far as the mileage, I agree with the other guys, we're talking a Goldwing here, so honestly, as long as the bike runs well and has been reasonably well taken care of, I wouldn't worry about the numbers on the odometer.
If my gal ain't happy, I ain't happy. Thank God she loves bikes.

User avatar
c5cruiser
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm
Location: Corona, CA
Motorcycle: 1969 Triumph T-90 350
1970 Honda 350
1975 Honda 750-4
2003 VTX/R
1960 Honda Trail 50
2004 GL1800A

Re: ABS, why's and why nots?

Postby c5cruiser » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:15 pm

Well it seems that ABS is the way to go but there seems to be more Goldwings out there for sale without ABS brakes. I guess I'm just going to hold my wad of cash and find the right one.

User avatar
motorhead1977
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:58 am
Location: Albany, New York
Motorcycle: 2009 GL 1800 ABS, 2015 Ducati Scrambler 800, 1986 VFR 700

Re: ABS, why's and why nots?

Postby motorhead1977 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:05 pm

c5cruiser wrote:Well it seems that ABS is the way to go but there seems to be more Goldwings out there for sale without ABS brakes. I guess I'm just going to hold my wad of cash and find the right one.


Good decision IMHO. After getting my first ABS bike and experiencing how well it works when needed I will not own another bike without it unless it is a collectable/older bike that is not really a daily or long distance rider. Don't worry about miles so long as the bike has had it's regularly scheduled maintenance at the intervals suggested. Enjoy!
"When fascism comes to America it will be draped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis

User avatar
c5cruiser
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm
Location: Corona, CA
Motorcycle: 1969 Triumph T-90 350
1970 Honda 350
1975 Honda 750-4
2003 VTX/R
1960 Honda Trail 50
2004 GL1800A

Re: ABS, why's and why nots?

Postby c5cruiser » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:13 pm

Perfect! I'm presently working with someone regarding a Wing with ABS (nav, audio, comfort) on the bike with 69k on it. Wish me luck.
To me the GL1500 with ABS would have been perfect for me but it's the ABS that has me sold.
Now if there were valet parking in Vegas. That would be perfect. ;)

User avatar
c5cruiser
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:44 pm
Location: Corona, CA
Motorcycle: 1969 Triumph T-90 350
1970 Honda 350
1975 Honda 750-4
2003 VTX/R
1960 Honda Trail 50
2004 GL1800A

Re: ABS, why's and why nots?

Postby c5cruiser » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:42 pm

Well it looks like we can't get to an agreement on the price for the platinum 2006 with 68k on it.

However I did find a nice black 2004 with 53k, but no nav, no heated hand grips and no heated seats but it does have ABS and the optional 6CD player. It has front hwy pegs and the bike is very clean. New battery and new tires front and rear. Everything works and I do like it. It also comes with the vent on the windscreen, the "Honda" bike cover, owners manual, front riders back rest, battery tender and both comms mics with headphones. Some scuffs underneath but that's do to road grime and debris which is I'm guessing is normal. The frame seems solid, straight and clean from what I can tell. BTW he want $10500.
Too much?
Just right?
Not enough?
I plan on talking him down if possible. He has 3 bikes and two cars and his association want some vehicles gone.

I saw the Orange 2002 with 75,500 on it today and, well let's say it looked better in pictures. It had a couple of scuffs, no windscreen vent, the rear lower facia just above the right exauhst was missing. The passenger comms unit/plug was wrapped with black electrical tape and the holder was missing. All easy fixes but I'd rather just ride.

Anything else I should look for on the 2004?

User avatar
maintainer
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:39 am
Location: Houston, Texas
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Re: ABS, why's and why nots?

Postby maintainer » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:52 am

c5cruiser wrote:Well it looks like we can't get to an agreement on the price for the platinum 2006 with 68k on it.

However I did find a nice black 2004 with 53k, but no nav, no heated hand grips and no heated seats but it does have ABS and the optional 6CD player. It has front hwy pegs and the bike is very clean. New battery and new tires front and rear. Everything works and I do like it. It also comes with the vent on the windscreen, the "Honda" bike cover, owners manual, front riders back rest, battery tender and both comms mics with headphones. Some scuffs underneath but that's do to road grime and debris which is I'm guessing is normal. The frame seems solid, straight and clean from what I can tell. BTW he want $10500.
Too much?
Just right?
Not enough?
I plan on talking him down if possible. He has 3 bikes and two cars and his association want some vehicles gone.

I saw the Orange 2002 with 75,500 on it today and, well let's say it looked better in pictures. It had a couple of scuffs, no windscreen vent, the rear lower facia just above the right exauhst was missing. The passenger comms unit/plug was wrapped with black electrical tape and the holder was missing. All easy fixes but I'd rather just ride.

Anything else I should look for on the 2004?



Yeah I believe starting in 2006 model year there were 4 option levels, previous models didn't come with this equipment but could have the ABS as an option.

Premium Audio: upgraded higher powered 4 speaker audio
Premium Audio/Comfort: above system plus heated seats, grips, and feet warmers
Premium Audio/Comfort/Navi: both the above items plus built in navigation
Premium Audio/Comfort/Navi/ABS/Airbag: all of above plus ABS brakes and and airbag system

Unlike 2001-2005 Wings 2006 + required the Level 4 option pkg and pricing to get ABS brakes

I owned an 2006 I purchased new for 4 years and 46000 miles and can answer questions about it if need be.
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

User avatar
Fatwing Chris
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Ont.,Canada
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: ABS, why's and why nots?

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:54 am

maintainer wrote:
c5cruiser wrote:Well it looks like we can't get to an agreement on the price for the platinum 2006 with 68k on it.

However I did find a nice black 2004 with 53k, but no nav, no heated hand grips and no heated seats but it does have ABS and the optional 6CD player. It has front hwy pegs and the bike is very clean. New battery and new tires front and rear. Everything works and I do like it. It also comes with the vent on the windscreen, the "Honda" bike cover, owners manual, front riders back rest, battery tender and both comms mics with headphones. Some scuffs underneath but that's do to road grime and debris which is I'm guessing is normal. The frame seems solid, straight and clean from what I can tell. BTW he want $10500.
Too much?
Just right?
Not enough?
I plan on talking him down if possible. He has 3 bikes and two cars and his association want some vehicles gone.

I saw the Orange 2002 with 75,500 on it today and, well let's say it looked better in pictures. It had a couple of scuffs, no windscreen vent, the rear lower facia just above the right exauhst was missing. The passenger comms unit/plug was wrapped with black electrical tape and the holder was missing. All easy fixes but I'd rather just ride.

Anything else I should look for on the 2004?



Yeah I believe starting in 2006 model year there were 4 option levels, previous models didn't come with this equipment but could have the ABS as an option.

Premium Audio: upgraded higher powered 4 speaker audio
Premium Audio/Comfort: above system plus heated seats, grips, and feet warmers
Premium Audio/Comfort/Navi: both the above items plus built in navigation
Premium Audio/Comfort/Navi/ABS/Airbag: all of above plus ABS brakes and and airbag system

Unlike 2001-2005 Wings 2006 + required the Level 4 option pkg and pricing to get ABS brakes

I owned an 2006 I purchased new for 4 years and 46000 miles and can answer questions about it if need be.


Knowing what I know know after buying my 04 I wouldn't touch anything older than 05 unless it's had the frame replaced.Mother Honda came out with a new frame in the very,very late 04 model year.Some of the original frames are still showing up cracked.Most of these aren't cracking where they were even looking on the recall.The tubes behind the pass foot rests have been known to break right off and apparently are too thin to be repaired properly.I have a buddy that has this right now on his 04.Mother Honda is doing nothing for him.Been fighting with Honda since last fall.It may never happen,but if it does it's a couple of grand for a frame and **** wagon load of labour.Apparently Honda in the States is still replacing some,but not so forthcoming here in Canada.06 had some real good upgrades as well to the cooling system.Just some food for thought.


If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602


Return to “Goldwing Chat”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests