Crashed wing

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
OnPapasWing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Crashed wing

Postby OnPapasWing » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:42 pm

On Friday July 3, the Mrs. and I decided to take a nice relaxing ride. As we approached a "T" intersection the car in front of us decided to go right. The woman sitting at the intersection waiting to turn left didn't see us due to the car turning. Of course she pulled out. She got into my lane when I locked up the brakes. The bike maintained composure and its line. I was really concerned about a t-bone hit and just as I thought I cleared her vehicle (SUV) my left mirror clipped the back of her vehicle. Down we went. The lids saved our skulls and the Jean jackets saved most of our hide.
The wife couldn't move and thought her hip was broken. ER results for both of us were negative but she is still having problems with hip and knee. We're working on those issues. I had a couple of stitches in elbow and a sore hip.
As far as the bike is concerned it appears that the mirrors took the worst of it. Of course I'm not a mechanic and for now don't have a high level of confidence in the rest of it. The right side bag is scuffed and both mirrors are damaged. What I'm trying to find out is if these parts are available and if anyone has had similar experiences dealing with the ins company's to know what I can expect?
BTW, it's a 1996 SE. They haven't been out to evaluate the bike yet.
Thoughts?

made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Re: Crashed wing

Postby made2care » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:29 pm

Sorry to hear of your incident. Well done on being "geared up" and hope for a speedy recovery. In terms of parts, I resort to ebay sometimes for those hard to find pieces. You can normally find just about anything there.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:45 pm

This site's favourite store Cyclemax in Ohio has most of the stuff that you require as far as parts go. You should then get someone to quote you on the job. So with the prices of the parts, and the labour to fix, you should be prepared for the insurance rep when she/he comes to assess the damage to your bike. Also, do not forget the replacement clothes and helmets (once the helmets have been in contact I would put them on the wall as trophies).

Just remember, you can always lower your price, but you can never get them to raise it!

Good to see that you are doing reasonably well, and good wishes to your spouse on a speedy return to comfort.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:37 am

What you really want to have looked at is damage that might not be readily apparent. Has the frame or subframe been bent or cracked? Are there body panels not quite aligning correctly? It takes a close inspection by a knowledgeable inspector to know for sure.

My brother was rear ended in his F-150 pickup truck, and wasn't going to even bother claiming it on insurance, as it looked like a very minor dent on the bumper. At the urging of his wife, he had it inspected and it turned out there was a couple thousand dollars damage to the bumper subframe and mounting points, all of which were not even visible without pulling things apart to inspect them. The whole bumper had to be replaced.

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:24 pm

Thanks all, for the replies.

That was the primary reason I didn't ride it home some 20 or 30 miles. The uncertainty of underlying issues. Not to mention the fact that the mirrors were both broken.
Not sure if others have had dealings with the insurance company on an older bike, although it's most likely. Curious as to what I should expect. They are expected to be by in a day or so to assess the damage. Part availability and age of bike are both factors. Hey, if they can get the parts more power to them. If they can fix it I'll sell it.
Bottom line is that the wife will never get back on a bike. And I'm so apprehensive that I think after 10 years of riding its time to hang up the keys. We are now a statistic and one that "walked" away. Actually it was by ambulance. I'm not so sure we could be so lucky next time.

made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Postby made2care » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:27 am

redial wrote:[color=#408000]This site's favourite store Cyclemax in Ohio

I purchase almost all my parts from Cyclemax. Very good selection all there at one site, fast delivery and professional service. Prices are good too. For those hard to find parts, I normally resort to ebay but cyclemax has most of what I have needed. I put $3000 worth of parts into the gl1200 and guess who I went with...........? Cyclemax, very good place to go. I especially like the categorization with pictures.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:05 am

Further to the above on Cyclemax, mirrors are the easiest things to replace, as they come in aftermarket chrome versions, usually for a lot cheaper than OEM replacements. Saddlebags or covers may just have to be ebay acquisitions, but most parts are available in aftermarket chrome and both sides, to match up, can still be less money than OEM.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:55 am

All a mute point since the insurance company totaled the bike. On to a new chapter.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:27 pm

Sorry to hear that. In my case (a Kawasaki, rather than a 'Wing), the insurance company totaled it as well, but they allowed me to buy it back from them. In the end I got enough money in the deal to rebuild the bike to new condition - new parts (including some that would have merely been repaired at a shop), and I did the labor.

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:01 am

Might have considered that if I thought I would ride again. But my riding days are over. Someone is going to get a nice bike to fix up.

motorhead1977
Motorcycle: 2009 GL 1800 ABS, 2015 Ducati Scrambler 800, 1986 VFR 700

Postby motorhead1977 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:09 am

Don't allow the Ins company to settle with you without having all your medicals reviewed by other physicians. You are entitle to be compensated for the stitches in your arm and have your wife re-evaluated by physicians if her issues with her hip continue. They can pay for the property damage to your bike and leave the personal injury portion of your claim open. If they tell you they can't they are lying. Consult with a personal injury lawyer who is familiar with motorcycle accidents. Most will not charge for a consult about your claim. Do that right away and hopefully you haven't already released the offending driver from all liability.
"When fascism comes to America it will be draped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:39 am

Glad to hear that you and your wife are doing fine! I hope you both continue to get well and recover physically from this tramatic event. Even if you both recover physically, what about emotionally and mentally? make sure all of this is resolved before you settle with the insurance company.

The insurance company will want to wind this up a quickly as possible so may make an offer that sounds great but you need to hold off till you are positive both of you are fine, checked out by doctors and doing okay. If the insurance company gives you any problem I would go straight to a lawyer that does bodily injury. And don't overlook the mental side, more than one person has benefitted from counseling to get over the bad effects of a crash. If either of you is dreaming about the crash, go to a psychologist.

As far as the property damage, I suspect the bike will be totaled and the amount offered will be below what you expect. Since you have no desire to buy the bike and fix it up, you will probably just have to take the amount offered after you dicker with them. Don't be afraid to negotiate what they offer and even threaten and perhaps follow through with a lawyer.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

OnPapasWing

Postby OnPapasWing » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:49 am

Thanks harvey01 and motorhead. The wife is still healing but has found out that she has a non-displaced fracture in her tibia, on the plateau so this has potential of long term recovery. This will put her out of commission for a while. She also has a bruised collarbone and strained back muscles. This is gonna be a slow process I suspect.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”