Idea for my European trip

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Rob H
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE, XR 650, CBR 600, Harley FB, KLR 650, CBX 750 Cafe Racer, Z1000 Eddie Lawson.

Idea for my European trip

Postby Rob H » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:43 am

Good option
Good option

I am going to look into this as a project. Think it is really cool, however think there is a fine line with the 2 weights. Everything will need to be spot on.

I think an 1800 will handle this.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Idea for my European trip

Postby harvey01 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:42 am

I would not want to have to tow that through the Alps even with a car or suv as the tow vehicle. Those roads are fun to ride.

How has the USA trip been?
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Rob H
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE, XR 650, CBR 600, Harley FB, KLR 650, CBX 750 Cafe Racer, Z1000 Eddie Lawson.

Postby Rob H » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:08 pm

harvey01 wrote:I would not want to have to tow that through the Alps even with a car or suv as the tow vehicle. Those roads are fun to ride.

How has the USA trip been?

Hey Harvey

Trip was absolutely fantastic. Did a write up and posted with some pics, did you read that?
I could have stayed another month. We will be coming back that's for sure,

Rob

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26044

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:27 am

In Oz, the towed vehicle has to weigh less than the towing vehicle. Over 750kg loaded mass, it has to have brakes connect to the towing vehicle which are activated both by the towing vehicle, and by a remote control. As for pulling a large caravan, I would have to check the country of registration to see what the rules are for this configuration. This is one reason, everyone goes for the "camper trailer" with the fold-up configuration, see WingAdmin's setup, and there are others.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:14 am

You might find these sites helpful in your planning. Personally, I would never tow a trailer in Europe, the laws tend to be different in particular countries and you can end up pulling your hair out. However, there are lots of cheap, clean, safe hotels, and that is the route I would choose.

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-motorcycle

http://www.network.mag-uk.org/archive/may04p12.html
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

Rob H

Postby Rob H » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:33 am

I like the Spanish rules, I am not really sure that they thought them through much.
I am having trouble trying to get my bike into the UK at the moment. They want nearly 3000 pounds in shipping and duties which is a bit naughty! The worst thing is I don't plan to ride much in the UK. Just up from Cornwall and across the channel. The rest of the time I will be in Europe. I may not even go back as I had planned to get to Italy and get a ship across to the Middle East.
The way things are going I may have to have a rethink.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:09 pm

That was a bit wayward of you RobH, I thought you were better organised. Can you have the bike transshipped to another address, like Greece :roll: , and then pick it up there? I have heard that importing into the UK is expensive, and I guess you have confirmed it. Are there less expensive countries? Would it be cheaper to import into Oman?

From my previous Australian Customs experience, there are ways to address the importation, but I do not know how the EC works. If you leave it registered in the USA, and let them know that it will only be visiting, and will not be sold, and will be taken out of the country (or EC?), then it can be covered by a "carno" (that is the way it is said, but not spelt). This is a guarantee by a Car Club, like AAA or Royal Auto Club, and if you default, then they have a guarantor for the fines and penalties.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Rob H

Postby Rob H » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:50 pm

redial wrote:That was a bit wayward of you RobH, I thought you were better organised. Can you have the bike transshipped to another address, like Greece :roll: , and then pick it up there? I have heard that importing into the UK is expensive, and I guess you have confirmed it. Are there less expensive countries? Would it be cheaper to import into Oman?

From my previous Australian Customs experience, there are ways to address the importation, but I do not know how the EC works. If you leave it registered in the USA, and let them know that it will only be visiting, and will not be sold, and will be taken out of the country (or EC?), then it can be covered by a "carno" (that is the way it is said, but not spelt). This is a guarantee by a Car Club, like AAA or Royal Auto Club, and if you default, then they have a guarantor for the fines and penalties.

You are 100% correct, when I did the investigation I was told that I would not have to pay duties or vat because I am a UK National and as I have owned the bike for more than 6 months and as long as I keep it for more than a year,all will be well.
Anyway the shipper has all the forms and is doing whatever he needs to do.
Leaving it registered in the States and traveling on a "carno" is an option that I have also considered.

I have also considered bringing it here and doing the trip in reverse so to speak. Bring the bike here and register it and then through Iran and across into Europe that way. That can be done on a "carno"

It's a challenge that we will have to overcome.

Funny thing is I know that it can be done because when we were in the States I saw Aussie and New Zealand cars taking part in a rally in Mount Rushmore. They had travelled across from Nova Scotia and were on their way to Calafornia.

I think my shipper needs to apply his mind.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”