Spot the motocycle

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Spot the motocycle

Postby Sidcar » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:46 pm

A friend sent me this email. Food for thought.
Sid

The Honda crotch rocket rider was traveling at approximately 85 mph. The VW driver was talking on a mobile phone when she pulled out from a side street, apparently not seeing the motorcycle. The riders reaction time was not sufficient enough to avoid this accident.

The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them. The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact
and landed 20 feet from where the collision took place.

All three involved (two in the car and the bike rider) were killed instantly. This graphic demonstration was placed at the Motorcycle Fair by the
Police and Road Safety Department.

Pass this on to car drivers or soon to be new drivers, or new motorcycle owners AND ESPECIALLY EVERYONE YOU KNOW WHO HAS A mobile PHONE!!!!!

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Save a life...

Stop talking on mobile phones and texting while trying to drive. The life you save may be your own..... Or mine...
Attachments

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Spot the motocycle

Postby harvey01 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:52 pm

Remember that the distraction of a cellphone can involve a motorcyclist as well as a cage driver. No one is exempt from being distracted when using a cellphone. I have trouble imagining a motorcyclist texting while riding but with Bluetooth, talking and giving the phone numbers to call is very easy to do and that distracts us from the task of riding the motorcycle.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:24 pm

That's pretty horrific evidence of what a few seconds of distraction can cause. I imagine there isn't a one of us that doesn't have an anecdote of how a distracted or inattentive driver nearly involved us in a similar crash (perhaps not at that speed?) ...

I can't say I've seen a worse wreck... it's very sad to know everyone was killed
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:24 am

The innocent party - and all the deaths are tragic, is the passenger of the car. Both the car driver and the rider were breaking the law. Given that the car was pulling out of a side road would indicate that at most, the speed limit would have been 60mph, and more likely much less than that. It makes you wonder just how important that phone call was, I suspect it wouldn't have been a life or death matter but sadly it did lead to the latter.

Penalties for excessive speeding, and for phone use while driving are ridiculously low. The policing of both are dreadfully remiss in the UK.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:52 am

I know this is an older post but it's what I was looking for. At first I was just going to ask if anyone has actually seen, in person, anyone riding a motorcycle and texting?
I don't remember if it was on YouTube or TV, but a rider was shown laying back across his seat, steering with his feet, while texting on his phone. It was a young man on a sportbike of some kind.
Have any of you seen something like this? :roll:

And then yesterday I saw a little news blip that police may start confiscating phones of motorists here in the northwest Arkansas area. Personally, I think that's the only way some people will stop texting and driving, including my son and daughter. I'm all for it!
:D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Postby wing rider 2012 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:28 pm

It doesn't take much for things to go from bad to worse, at 85 miles per hour you are covering about 130ft per second, that's about half the length of a football field, now you couple that with the normal reaction time of about 2 1/2 seconds and you can see just how fast it takes to get yourself into a whole lot of trouble.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

liflyboy
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE
1993 GL1500 A

Postby liflyboy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:00 pm

It is very difficult to judge the speed of an object coming straight at you. If it has 2 lights, a few feet apart from one another, it's a little easier, but with just one light, as I suspect the crotch rocket had, the cage driver could have seen him off in the distance, and misjudged his speed. Would you assume he was doing 85? I know this is a MOTORCYCLE forum, but I put MOST of the blame on the biker.

Remember, don't drive like you are invisible, drive like they all see you, and are OUT TO GET YOU!

Richie

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:30 pm

If the rider saw the car approaching on the side street, he should have assumed it would pull out in front of him.
I know how often "assuming" will make an a-- out of you & me but in this type of situation, it may have kept everyone alive.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Jim1
Motorcycle: 2013 gold wing F6B trike

Postby Jim1 » Tue May 03, 2016 1:42 pm

The families are paying the price for the actions of the operators.
Obtaining the maximum enjoyment from operating a motorcycle is a mind game. Keep the mind on the ride from exiting the friction zone to kick stand down at the end of the ride.

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Postby Sidcar » Tue May 03, 2016 1:51 pm

Over here using a mobile phone while driving gets you a fine of £100 plus three points on your driving licence (get to 12 and your licence is suspended) but people still do it!

Sid

Return to “Goldwing Chat”