The Black Beard went down

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

The Black Beard went down

Postby made2care » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:51 am

Well, this is a hard lesson but a good one. After many years of working on motorcycles, I always felt that in making my own makeshift jack using a couple of 2 X 6's , I had somehow "beat the system", sounds ridiculous and guess what, it is !! I obviously have never invested in a good , "real" jack, I have a lift but not a jack, except for the 2 X 6's which has done its job for years.
After rebuilding the forks and front wheel (new bearings, tire), I became a little impatient wanting to ride "The Beard". Since this bike is new to me and have not had the chance to ride due to a bad front tire, I rushed with "my system" in an attempt to remove the 2 X 6's with a simple floor jack. The next thing I knew, the bike was on its side. Freaked out, I quickly backed my truck into the garage and used its bed loops to winch the Beard back up but he just kept sliding toward the truck, so I planted another 2 X 6 (I'm not a lumberjack) between the rear tire of my truck and the bike tire and he popped right up. I wish I would have took pictures as a painful reminder to use the right equipment.
Note to self, this 1500 is very heavy, I should have used common sense that with such weight, a heavy duty motorcycle lift is an essential tool to have.
Secondly, take my time. It was late at night and I had been working all day rebuilding forks and so on. Should have waited until the next morning. You know that little voice?? Well it spoke to me and it was right (can't remember which one of Freud's personality identity's)
Thirdly, listen to your wife. She looked in the garage just prior to lifting the bike and said, "Don't they make a motorcycle jack, what are you doing?"
So there you have it. The Beard didn't really suffer any damage. Engine and saddlebag guards did their job. I think the only thing that suffered more would be my ego (I think that's one of Freud's terms), but again, it's a lesson to learn from.
FYI, I am going to order a motorcycle jack :D

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: The Black Beard went down

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:37 pm

Try this technique next time...... 8-)

Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:17 am

Now that that's out of the way!!! Probably won't be the last time unfortunately. My 1500 went to sleep three times the first month after I brought it home. Took a while to get used to the weight. She (in your case, he) is very easy to put back on her feet though.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:03 pm

I think these 1500s need to rest, from time to time. After standing in the workshop for a while, they need to have a good lie down, sometimes they like to have a rest after or before you have replenished the fuel. They just need a few moments to regather their thoughts, while they try to work out what you want to do next. It happens, just like flies hanging around a messy blanket, but as long as it doesnt happen too often, everything will be alright. Have fun, and start going to the gym to improve your muscles :oops:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Postby made2care » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:30 pm

redial wrote:I think these 1500s need to rest, from time to time. After standing in the workshop for a while, they need to have a good lie down, sometimes they like to have a rest after or before you have replenished the fuel. They just need a few moments to regather their thoughts, while they try to work out what you want to do next. It happens, just like flies hanging around a messy blanket, but as long as it doesnt happen too often, everything will be alright. Have fun, and start going to the gym to improve your muscles :oops:

I would like to rest sometime too, so the gym is out of the question. I think I will rest now, that sounds nice, just rest and relax and then rest some more. Once I'm fully rested, I can get back to completing Black beard and then rest gain. Rest assured, this is my plan :D

Return to “Goldwing Chat”