Garmin Power Cord Identification

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Garmin Power Cord Identification

Postby seabeechief » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:39 pm

Guys, I need help. Attached is a not very good picture of a part of a Garmin Nuvi 42LM power cord. The cord has two pieces; the longest piece is hard wired on one end and has a "female" two point connector on the other. The attached picture is of the "whip" that is the "male" two point connector on one end, and the Garmin male plug on the other. This whip is 25" long. I had the wiring installed at my Honda dealer about three years ago. My mechanic assures me that this wiring harness is not an aftermarket product and it was part of the wiring kit that came with the Nuvi 42LM when I bought it. I have 5v at the "female" hard wired end, and the Garmin works when connected to another cord. So, I have deduced that the "whip" is bad. I believe it is the Garmin end connector that is the problem, as it has been left in the weather most of the time. I do not use the Garmin most of the time. I have looked at the Garmin website and all the other vendors websites that carry Garmin products and I cannot find this particular two part wiring harness. Any help Y'all can offer will be sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

Chief

Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: Garmin Power Cord Identification

Postby Fiberthree » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:44 pm

The Garmin end is a typical USB conductor and provide voltage and data. Usually the cords are wired to only provide voltage for recharging or running on external power. (Hence the two contacts in the side you are holding.) You could check the plug on the bike to see if you have the voltage on the pins. It just might be an in-line fuse that is out. If there is no fuse involved, and you are sure the cord is bad, you could replace it with a different USB cord for any automotive application.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:18 pm

Thanks, all. I guess I'm going to have to run a new cable. I have power to the end of the cable, but not to the end of the whip. The GPS operates with other cables. I know the whip is bad, but I can't find the same cable on the internet.

Chief
Darkside #1609

seabeechief

Postby seabeechief » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:15 am

OK, guys, I surrender. I guess I don't have the ability to explain the situation in a coherent manner. I'm moving on before I make everyone, including me, bald. Thanks to all for trying to help.

Next is figuring out which waterproof Garmin to put on the bike. And, just FYI, I'm fixing to pull the trigger on a Roadsmith trike kit. The time has come.

Chief
Darkside #1609

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:10 am

If you know someone that has soldering skills you could still repair the whip. Depending on if the break is near the plug end or the Garmin end. Also, Garmin might have changed the style of plugs that they use. Others will work, the only difference I have seen with the USB end is that the Garmin is a 90* type. You might also be able to mount a waterproof USB jack in a fairing pocket and run the patch cord to your Garmin.

Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”