Need advice on a potential purchase of a 2003 Goldwing 1800ABS

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
gilbertgloob
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Need advice on a potential purchase of a 2003 Goldwing 1800ABS

Postby gilbertgloob » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:24 pm

Hello and thanks for reading,
I’m looking for advice on a potential purchase of a 2003 Goldwing 1800ABS. This bike has under 30k miles, and by looking at the tires it has only been driven in a straight line, as opposed to my 82 1100 which has wear right up to edge of the sidewall. The bike is in really nice shape with only some very small spots of corrosion on the rims and the valve covers. The paint looks great. Radio doesn't work, hard to fix? Are there any known problems with this year of bike that I should be aware of? I am very familiar with the older wings up to 1984, but know nothing about these newer ones. Owner is asking $9k. Would love to hear your opinion.

Thanks!

jfauerba
Motorcycle: GL1800

Re: Need advice on a potential purchase of a 2003 Goldwing 1800ABS

Postby jfauerba » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:56 pm

Check for crack frame and sticky buttons every place except radio. Cruise and reverse buttons most common to stick. Hazard and driving lights next most likely. Sometimes mute button. Radio could be fuse.

gilbertgloob
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Postby gilbertgloob » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:07 pm

Thanks for the reply!

Could you be more specific as to where the frame develops cracks? Is there an easy fix for the stick buttons. Man...this thing has a lot of buttons!!!

Thanks!

jfauerba
Motorcycle: GL1800

Postby jfauerba » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:26 pm

Don't remember where the frame crack was, but there is a chance on all 2001-2004 bikes. Any Honda dealer can look up the VIN and see if all recalls has been done along with the frame check. It has been well documented on the internet.
Several similar ideas on how to fix the sticky buttons. You will need to take the switch assembly apart and clean or squirt lube in them. some say wd40, others say contact cleaner, others says lube for electronics. The buttons stick a lot more in cold weather than warm weather due to the internal lube being harder in the cold.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:41 pm

Here is a copy of the procedure that WingAdmin sent out a while back. Hope it helps. You might look under the How-to-article header and check on the 1800 info for other items also.

This is a fairly simple one, but a problem I have seen many people mention experiencing. Even if you haven't experienced this problem yet - it's only a matter of time. Performing this procedure as preventative maintenance is a good idea!

On the GL1500 (the GL1800 also suffers from this problem) there are push-on/push-off buttons on the handlebars that control things like cruise control, hazard lights, and the audio mute. The shaft connecting the buttons to the actual switches are lubricated inside with a grease-like lubricant. This grease picks up dust and dirt over time until it is not lubricating anymore, and acts more as an adhesive than anything else.

It doesn't prevent you from pressing the button to turn it on. Where the problem arises is when you try to push the button again to turn it off - the tiny spring inside the switch is not powerful enough to push the button back out against the stiction of the dirty lubricant, and the button stays pushed in. As a result, you have Goldwing owners riding around with cruise control on, hazard lights flashing, and no music.

The solution is quick and simple. You will require some electrical contact cleaner. You want a quick-drying contact cleaner that does not leave residue behind:

Click on this link to get the full article!
Read more: viewtopic.php?t=9296#ixzz3gIUYBPgj
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:49 pm

Frame cracks.

Sorry I didnt have a bigger picture in my files.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”