Update on "Black Beard" and a story too

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Update on "Black Beard" and a story too

Postby made2care » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:15 pm

So far Black Beard is riding well. I rebuilt the front forks using this site and it went well, no issues. I also removed the wheels and had a friend mount new tires for $50 labor. Rear wheel, I did not get the bike high enough and as a result had to remove rear hitch assembly but its all back together, no issues. I replaced front wheel bearings , little tricky at first but eventually got it. Changed the oil to synthetic.
All that's left for now is replace coolant, timing belts and plugs. Think I will wait till winter on the belts, that part might be challenging since I've never done that either.

Story of the day:
After all of the above was completed I took Black Beard out for a spin, this time into town , into the heart and soul of the town, that's right "Main street" .
Upon stopping at one of the lights, a very loud bike approached to my right. Looked like a Harley and the rider stopped, looked over at me and Black Beard and shook his head as if to say.............. While we waited for the light to turn, he started revving as if to say ........ I looked over again and this time he started laughing and at that moment the light had changed and you guessed it, off he went 0 -60 in who knows how many seconds. Black Beard and I simply left the light at a casual controlled speed, with no worries in the world, he was just happy to be back on the road again.
About 20 min into our ride we approached what appeared to be an accident scene and the closer we rode, it became apparent that this was a significant wreck. As we passed we noticed it involved the same dude that had mocked (can I justify that word, maybe he was being friendly) us at the light, whom appeared to be okay but was rather shook up with his bike being totaled. I wanted to stop to see if everyone was okay, however, people were already on the scene and I would have just been in the way.
Moral of the story is .......................................

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Re: Update on "Black Beard" and a story too

Postby CMReynolds1 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:39 pm

Sometimes Karma does work!
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

ankgrays
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 interstate

Postby ankgrays » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:42 pm

I tell my wife and kids, all the time...

What goes around comes around...and usually bites in the butt!!! :shock:
I don't tolerate voluntary stupidity very well, and it seems to be rampant now-a-days.

"One of the problems about quotes from the internet, is that one cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:30 am

That's too bad! I hate to see or hear of any rider (no matter the circumstances) getting into an accident. Hope he wasn't injured.
Good work on the bike maintenance.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:50 am

I agree. I also don't understand the attitude of some folks regarding other riders on the highway, either... many mornings on my way to work, I encounter (I call him scooter-man in my head) a guy riding a scooter in the same direction I'm headed. I ALWAYS wave when I pass him (safely, in a passing zone) and he always waves back. I don't look "down" or laugh at anyone riding. I figure most are enjoying the ride as much as I am, and I try to let the other guy or gal know at least I see them, and I wave..

It's terrible the guy crashed.
Oh, and I'd like to see more pictures of "Black Beard" as time allows.

dingdong wrote:That's too bad! I hate to see or hear of any rider (no matter the circumstances) getting into an accident. Hope he wasn't injured.
Good work on the bike maintenance.

Tom
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

made2care
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold

Postby made2care » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:28 am

Here are some pics showing some work.
Waiting on passenger seat cover, original was past fixing. Had to reinforce luggage rack from inside trunk with some abs sheets, worked really well.
Notice the makeshift jack out of 2x 6's, don't do this. I had to raise the bike with a puny floor jack and that's when he fell over. The straps were disconnected in order to slide out the wood and it was very tricky. Will not do again. Will purchase a beefy motorcycle jack.
Attachments

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:10 am

Those pictures show a good sized working area. Does your spouse worry about you doing that work in the kitchen :?: :lol:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

made2care
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold

Postby made2care » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:55 pm

She doesn't mind as long as I continue to do the cooking.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:56 pm

I wish I had your shop and your patience. Sorry to read the bike fell over... I do like a good series of photos where a bike is being worked over... by the time you're done, Black Beard will be good as a new one.

P.S. nothing wrong with doing the cooking BTW

made2care wrote:She doesn't mind as long as I continue to do the cooking.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:34 pm

made2care wrote:All that's left for now is replace coolant, timing belts and plugs. Think I will wait till winter on the belts, that part might be challenging since I've never done that either.

With everything you've done on the old bike and this one, I'd be willing to bet that you could complete the job in less than two hours...with time to spare.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”