Left Lane Countries: How Do You Wave?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Toy3zve
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800HPNA

Left Lane Countries: How Do You Wave?

Postby Toy3zve » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:16 pm

To my Goldwing compadres living in the Left Lane countries: Do you wave to other motorcyclists, and if so, how, as your right hand is wrapped around the throttle?

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: Left Lane Countries: How Do You Wave?

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:47 am

I usually nod - occasionally might raise a hand - but mostly nod. :)

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:56 am

Use your left hand, that way you can still draw your sword to engage them if they turn belligerent. :twisted:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:48 am

Toy3zve wrote:To my Goldwing compadres living in the Left Lane countries: Do you wave to other motorcyclists, and if so, how, as your right hand is wrapped around the throttle?

looks like you may have to move your throttle too the left side, and of coarse the clutch on the other. :lol:
There, that takes care of that problem !! ;)

WA9FWT Phil

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:16 am

redial wrote:Use your left hand, that way you can still draw your sword to engage them if they turn belligerent. :twisted:

.. .. .. and your sword being the middle digit? :o
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Breakdancer
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 Aspencade

Postby Breakdancer » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:18 am

My nephew in Ireland says he takes his right foot off the peg and sticks it out a little, as if to push away an attacking dog. Kind of like a wave with the toes. :lol:
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:06 pm

Breakdancer wrote:My nephew in Ireland says he takes his right foot off the peg and sticks it out a little, as if to push away an attacking dog. Kind of like a wave with the toes. :lol:

I had heard of that and actually saw it when I was in Ireland last month.

For Americans driving on the left side of the road, all the while with a steering wheel on the right side and shifting with your left hand, to me is considered an extreme sport.
Especially when most of the roads are about 10' (excuse me, 3.5 meters) wide with rock walls on both sides and S-curves everywhere.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:49 pm

NVSB4 wrote:
Breakdancer wrote:My nephew in Ireland says he takes his right foot off the peg and sticks it out a little, as if to push away an attacking dog. Kind of like a wave with the toes. :lol:

For Americans driving on the left side of the road, all the while with a steering wheel on the right side and shifting with your left hand, to me is considered an extreme sport.
Especially when most of the roads are about 10' (excuse me, 3.5 meters) wide with rock walls on both sides and S-curves everywhere.

I love driving over there! I look forward to it. I guess that I've been doing it for so long that I switch back and forth pretty quickly.

Even better is driving on a single-track lane, with narrow, high stone walls on both sides, at night. If you meet someone coming the other direction, one of you has to back up until you reach a place where both can pass. Fun!! You can hear my wife squealing as she takes video from the passenger seat:

WA9FWT
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:11 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
NVSB4 wrote:

I love driving over there! I look forward to it. I guess that I've been doing it for so long that I switch back and forth pretty quickly.

Even better is driving on a single-track lane, with narrow, high stone walls on both sides, at night. If you meet someone coming the other direction, one of you has to back up until you reach a place where both can pass. Fun!! You can hear my wife squealing as she takes video from the passenger seat:

I was sitting at the edge of my seat watching that Video :shock: just hoping it ended well guys...I will stick to the good old USA roads......WA9FWT

Breakdancer

Postby Breakdancer » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:35 pm

Video Brings back memories of when I was there for my sisters wedding. Cresting a hill would always leave you guessing if there was a flock of sheep on the other side blocking the road. :o Beautiful country no doubt. And I grumble when the county is slow in getting the tall grass mowed next to the road out in the country. :lol: Thanks for the share Scott...
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:14 pm

WA9FWT wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:I love driving over there! I look forward to it. I guess that I've been doing it for so long that I switch back and forth pretty quickly.

I was sitting at the edge of my seat watching that Video :shock: just hoping it ended well guys...I will stick to the good old USA roads......WA9FWT

Ended well? That's the road you drive on every day to get to my son's house - that's normal everyday driving over in that part of the world! :)

Here's something similar, driving on a twisty, two-lane road up in the Lake District - my wife squeals in this one as well:

squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Postby squirrel » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:03 pm

As we ride on the correct side of the road it's normally just a nod of the head unless there are loads of bikes going the other way then there's just no point .just end up looking like a nodding dog :D

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:25 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I love driving over there! I look forward to it. I guess that I've been doing it for so long that I switch back and forth pretty quickly.

By the sound on the video, you were in something better than the Nissan Micra that I was driving (59 hp). I would have loved to have had my BMW 325i or Wing there. It would have been a lot more fun driving. We drove the entire circumference of the island, so was on the move most of the time. Except my wife loves castles, so we had to stop at every one. Amazingly, we stumbled on her ancestor's castle, so that made the trip for her. I had to back up several times as you say and dodge many a tour bus, tractor and assorted cows.
BTW, Holly has nothing on my wife in the squealing department. Luckily, she was looking out the side windows most of the time taking pictures (over 2000). I've attached a couple illustrating my post.
Attachments
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

redial

Postby redial » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:40 pm

Like Ireland and the UK, we drive on the correct side of the road, so driving in Ireland was not as daunting as others who are used to driving on the wrong side. :roll:

My experience in Ireland was about the same as Wingadmin's, except that most of the farmers do not own a pickup or a car, they use their tractors to go into do their shopping. These one lane roads are posted to be 80Km/h (about 50MPH), so one likes to fit into the locals by driving near that limit. However, there are a number of things to be aware of, animals roaming, road signs written on the road (eg SLOW, Very SLOW, and DEAD SLOW), and big butt tractors. You cannot play chicken with these tractors, where size counts :? , so you usually give way by backing up to find a place where you can move off the road enough to allow the tractor to wave at you (left or right hand - doesnt matter), as it proceeds on its way.

I had similar sound effects from my wife, while we were crossing these countries. In New Zealand, USA, Ireland, UK, France, and Germany, there were instances where there were audible expletives from one or both of us. Holly's anguish was mild to what I experienced :roll: . Great video, complete with inspiring sound, and thanks for bringing back some memories.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby Hoosier Jack » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:21 am

Your wife may not be the best choice for a road rally navigator wingadmin. Good lord people cut some grass and widen that road. But then I would probably be giving out those little screams too. Or big screams. Then pushed out the door.

I watch "Wheeler Dealers" on Velocity and when they are out driving I sometimes have to catch my breath thinking they will run into on-coming cars. Or trying to shift with the left hand.

ram11397
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby ram11397 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:32 pm

I Learnt to drive in England had an old Morris Minor,rode my first bike Suzuki 250. lived near Pinewood studios.went back few years ago and driving on that side of the road came back naturally.
I'll got to say even now early in the morning heading off to work sometimes i am on the left its not to i see a car that i notice.lol
Rick
1982 GL 1100 Aspencade

Breakdancer

Postby Breakdancer » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:03 am

I also remember when i was there (Ireland), that people would park on either side of the street. I would make a turn and see every car facing me, thinking that I drove the wrong way down a one way street. :shock: Then I would see one lonely car a block ahead facing the way I was traveling. Whats with that??? :lol:
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:16 am

That's why our USA road laws are written the way they are.
There are multi level reasons for parking the same direction as the lane travels.

It's a REAL SHAME our DOT don't send them folded 3x5 cards informing us of "Rules of the Road" changes. They make you travel blindly until an officer pulls you over informing you that you broke a law that you had NO IDEA ever existed.

And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

redial

Postby redial » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:26 pm

I also remember when i was there (Ireland), that people would park on either side of the street. I would make a turn and see every car facing me, thinking that I drove the wrong way down a one way street. :shock: Then I would see one lonely car a block ahead facing the way I was traveling. Whats with that??? :lol:

That's because the UK and Ireland people do not know whether they are coming or going :twisted:
Len in Kapunda

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Postby Solina Dave » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:31 pm

redial wrote:Use your left hand, that way you can still draw your sword to engage them if they turn belligerent. :twisted:

Or, when you go over there, simply ride a Harley, then you wouldn't need to wave at all. Can't believe I said that!!
"Assume Nothing"

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:17 pm

Breakdancer wrote:I also remember when i was there (Ireland), that people would park on either side of the street. I would make a turn and see every car facing me, thinking that I drove the wrong way down a one way street. :shock: Then I would see one lonely car a block ahead facing the way I was traveling. Whats with that??? :lol:

My guess: A lot of the time, there's not enough room to park on both sides of the road - and sometimes barely on one side, so they park with one wheel up on the sidewalk (or as they call it, the pavement). Because of this, there is definitely not enough room to do a U-turn, so if you want to park, you just steer over to whichever side of the road people park, and park in the direction facing that you were going.

silverado6x6
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Postby silverado6x6 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:37 am

I am worried just how fast will i adapt to driving on the left side, coming up in december i am flying from Alaska to Hawaii, then from there to Sydney Australia, a short hop then to Adelaide where i will need to rent a car and drive less than 20 miles to a vacation rental home. Possibly i may be riding a bike down there, if i stay longer than my 5 weeks i will definitely buy a bike. I have watched a hundred Australia motorcycle videos on Youtube, most riders might nod if they even see another biker, but usually they don't do anything.
I was ready to get a prosthetic hand and a 12 volt solenoid or just a small air cylinder, mount fake hand with the customary two fingers and have a push button switch, i get tired of throwing my hand out to a hundred plus pack of oncoming riders, really i do, and i i'm not joking about this, i may even put a patent on it.
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:16 am

silverado6x6 wrote:I am worried just how fast will i adapt to driving on the left side, coming up in december i am flying from Alaska to Hawaii, then from there to Sydney Australia, a short hop then to Adelaide where i will need to rent a car and drive less than 20 miles to a vacation rental home. Possibly i may be riding a bike down there, if i stay longer than my 5 weeks i will definitely buy a bike. I have watched a hundred Australia motorcycle videos on Youtube, most riders might nod if they even see another biker, but usually they don't do anything.
I was ready to get a prosthetic hand and a 12 volt solenoid or just a small air cylinder, mount fake hand with the customary two fingers and have a push button switch, i get tired of throwing my hand out to a hundred plus pack of oncoming riders, really i do, and i i'm not joking about this, i may even put a patent on it.

My adjustment to driving on the left was in Bermuda, on a scooter, and I have to say that adjusting on a bike first before doing it in a car made it a lot easier. The biggest problem you'll have is turns - right and left turns, making sure you turn into the correct lanes (turn into the close lane when turning left, into the far lane when turning right, backwards from how we do it here), and remembering which way to look when coming to intersections. For the former, just always stop and think about which lane you're going to go into when turning (instead of riding/driving on "autopilot"), and for the later, force yourself to look BOTH ways.

After a while it becomes second nature. I switch back and forth fairly quickly now, although for the first day or so when driving I will look up and to the right for a rear view mirror that is actually up and to the left. Once in a while I'll whack my right hand into the door when reaching for the gearshift as well. :)

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:58 am

I've read many different explanations but none have satisfied the real reason.
Since most of the world is right handed, why are there wrong side driving vehicles?

NOT starting a banter war here, JUST a question.

redial

Postby redial » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:55 pm

There are probably as many reasons as there are explanations why there are left-handed people. There are many countries that are left-handed, including Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, India, UK, New Zealand, and Thailand. Sweden used to be left-handed, but made the historic change to right-handed about 40 years ago - which made sense since all of the countries surrounding it are right-handed.

But since you raise the question of why? Let me give you a hypothesis that it was because in days of old, when everyone rode around on horses, and most people were right-handed, if they were attacked by criminals, robbers, and other ne'er-do-wells, they could still defend themselves by using their right-handed swords, pistols, lances, or clubs.

A big change to walking across a road, is a habit I have forced myself to adopt when in a different country, is to keep looking both ways while crossing. When in right-handed countries, I have found that we left-handed people tend to over-compensate, and will move too far to the right. When passing tractor-trailers, and they can be 3.5 full trailers behind a single tractor (aka "prime mover"), traveling at 110Km/h, you need a bit of road to clear an overtake. You probably will not engage with many of them, as they are not allowed in or near major centres.

There is a road safety slogan here, that says: "Look once, look twice, look bike!" Not always, but we are trying to make it better for mc riders.

Len in Kapunda

Return to “Goldwing Chat”