GRASS! .. .. NO-no-no, lawn grass.

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

GRASS! .. .. NO-no-no, lawn grass.

Postby FM-USA » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:31 am

CURIOUS:
Has anyone "gone down" due to grass clippings on the road?

Riding alone on a slight curve this idgit was cutting his grass and spewing it on the road. Now a little has never bothered me but this was a solid blanket and felt the tires "give & grab".
Most States have laws banning grass on roadways but some idgits simply don't care, or do it on purpose.

While this post is open, another similar thing.
Have you encountered Leaf Blowers (or other) tossing debris into your face while passing?
I have and now take my left hand and shield my eyes.

ANYWAYS,...
MOST people will stop what they're doing until I pass but there's always a few that "SEEM TO" do it on purpose.

Last edited by FM-USA on Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Re: GRASS! .. .. NO-no-no, lawn grass.

Postby made2care » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:47 am

In my town, its a $200 fine if you spew grass clippings or leaves onto city streets but people still do it. Very dangerous for people like us, especially if you take a blower and blow clippings back up onto their yard, then you have a possible fight on your hands :D

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:57 am

I hit a pile of grass left in the road by the county road mowing crew. It was at night, on a curve and just after meeting a car going the other way. I never saw it coming. I ended up with a broken ankle and three broken ribs. Next thing I knew was sliding to a stop face down on the asphalt. The bike was about 75 yards down the road leaning on the guard rail. Appears that it had "high sided me" and shut off like it should have. Next guy down the road almost ran over me, but saw the reflective material on my ruined jacket and helmet. Was about $4000 damage to the bike according to my insurance company. :(
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Postby maintainer » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:02 am

Never been down because of grass, gravel, or any other debris. I have had the tailend kick out in a curve and rebite because of tar strips, road debris, and even road kill when cornering. It definitely run a chill down the spine. I have been pelted with rocks from mowers more than once and it really hurts. :evil:
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

c5cruiser
Motorcycle: 1969 Triumph T-90 350
1970 Honda 350
1975 Honda 750-4
2003 VTX/R
1960 Honda Trail 50
2004 GL1800A

Postby c5cruiser » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:27 am

I've never run into lawn grass on the road and as far as gardeners and their leaf blowers go, the gardeners have either lowered the RPM and/or pointed them away. :?
I'd just treat it like a flat tire.

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:18 pm

Our county engineer lives about 1/4 mile down the road, on a 40mph curve. When the guy mows his yard, his last probably 5-6 passes he only goes one way, with the discharge pointing to the road. It covers the whole lane on his side :evil: :evil: grrrrr. But hey, this is the engineer of a county that patches pot holes with loose gravel, no tar. They just pour some gravel out of a bucket into the hole and call it fixed. Idiots.
As far as blowers, this morning, when in town, I noticed some county inmates weed eating and edging the sidewalks. Behind them was a C.O. with his blower, intentionally blowing the dirt and grass into the street and traffic. More idiots.
When I help a buddy out with his lawn care business, that's a big no-no. All clippings in the street get blown back in to the grass.

c5cruiser
Motorcycle: 1969 Triumph T-90 350
1970 Honda 350
1975 Honda 750-4
2003 VTX/R
1960 Honda Trail 50
2004 GL1800A

Postby c5cruiser » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:32 pm

What the hell spiralout? Are there nothing but morons where you live?
You can two things. One tell them to knock it off or two report them to their higher ups.
There's always three. Call the local news agency. I'm sure that would work since they're adding to and not preventing traffic accidents.
I'd go for one but that's just who I am.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:04 pm

In this day of video recording, even a poor cell phone cam would do wonders when sent to the right people or news agency.
Local news these days has a good chance of going national under the right circumstances, especially when lives are at stake.

Ya, I'd cam that man. :evil:

And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:48 pm

c5cruiser wrote:What the hell spiralout? Are there nothing but morons where you live?
You can two things. One tell them to knock it off or two report them to their higher ups.
There's always three. Call the local news agency. I'm sure that would work since they're adding to and not preventing traffic accidents.
I'd go for one but that's just who I am.

FM-USA wrote:In this day of video recording, even a poor cell phone cam would do wonders when sent to the right people or news agency.
Local news these days has a good chance of going national under the right circumstances, especially when lives are at stake.

Ya, I'd cam that man. :evil:

I live in semi small town Alabama now and yep, they are all morons from what I've seen since I've been here. :D
As far as local news, there is none. The closest TV station is 100 miles away. I doubt they'd be interested in 100 mile away small town matters.
As far as "the right people", there are none of those, either. This is small town "good 'ole boy" crooked politics. All these people grew up and went to school together. I'm an outsider here and that would be asking for trouble.
Here's example of how ridiculous and crooked this place is. I live in the county, about 5 miles outside of the Town limits of River Falls, Al, pop. around 700 ( I think that's a generous estimate to receive more funding) in 7 square miles. River Falls Chief of Police (they don't need one, being that the town is 2 gas stations and a farmers market) is also a County Deputy and on the area's "Drug Task Force" :roll: If you have an out of state tag and drive through Rive Falls, you will be stopped and you're vehicle searched. No ifs ands or buts about it. Probable cause, reasonable suspicion or not, that's what is going to happen. If they find no drugs, you will receive a ticket, deserved or not. You cannot pay that ticket by mail. It's a mandatory court appearance at the local "courthouse" which is in reality just the volunteer fire dept building. Your court time will be after 5 pm. This gives the court "officials" time to get home from their real jobs, shower and change before going to play kangaroo court. I had to play this game a few years ago for an $85 expired tag ticket on a vehicle that was parked and didn't run. Even though I contested the ticket, I was told (while sitting in a folding chair at a folding table they set up especially for court day haha) that I must pay it then and there or be taken to the County jail for 17 days @ $5 a day to pay it off :shock: :shock: Wth
That same day I watched them tell a guy's (who had gotten a misdemeanor possession of marijuana) attorney that "it didn't matter that he did not consent to a search or that the cops didn't have probable cause to perform that search, he was found in possession so must face the consequences" :shock:
So, I'm feeling that it'd be in my best interest to keep my my shut about it around here, not rock the boat, as they say and just complain about it on internet forums. /endrant

speedy1
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing SE, 2004 Goldwing 1800, 2007 Honda Aero 750

Postby speedy1 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:50 am

A few years ago when my sons and I owned a lawn care business it was a no brainier that you Did Not blow grass
or leaves out into the street. With today's quality of lawn mowers there's no need to. We did this also because it
improved the curb appeal of the house. I wasn't aware of any laws that mandated this, just common sense.

One other thing, I live in a rather small town in Alabama, although not as small as the one mention above and I
sure don't consider myself a moron. I hope that the opinion above wasn't thrown out there as a blanket that covered all of Alabama.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:43 am

speedy1 wrote:.... I hope that the opinion above wasn't thrown out there as a blanket that covered all of Alabama.

I read it and didn't feel your concern.
I think Alabamama is still safe. ;)

.. .. (tho your judicial system is in question)
No defendant, no evidence, no witness(s) just a self claimed confession, gets 10 years. What's up with that?

Return to “Goldwing Chat”