Broken Lower cowl ...Why?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
n5926g
Motorcycle: 1990 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Broken Lower cowl ...Why?

Postby n5926g » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:29 am

Morning guy,s....Started to button up the GL-1500,and after replacing the timing belt,s was screwing it back into place...I felt some "resistance" and stupidly continued to tighten it down...Then SNAP..it broke in about 3 place,s....The ONLY thing I can see that could possibly be in the way is a heat hose...I suspect I have this hose(about 1.5 inches in diameter) routed wrong...The Service manual just shows the hose,but not where/how its supposed to be routed....can anyone shed some light on the subject?Found a used one on ebay,but I THINK I can repair mine...especially for 80 bucks plus shipping.....

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: Broken Lower cowl ...Why?

Postby Mh434 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:58 pm

I suspect you're right about the routing of the hoses. Everything is VERY tight down there. I had to re-think my routing several times (and refer to the photos on WingAdmin's DIY timing belt replacement post) to get it right. ABS is forgiving, to a point, but when it gives up, it does it suddenly.

From what I understand, hardware store ABS cement works well on our 'Wing plastic. You'll need to work from the back, of course. Some have even made a slurry of ABS shavings & cement to act as a filler. I recall seeing previous posts on fairing repairs here using ABS cement, so a search may reveal some help for you.

Good luck!

n5926g
Motorcycle: 1990 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Re: Broken Lower cowl ...Why?

Postby n5926g » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:15 pm

Thanks for the info,after you mentioned the timing belt change video,I wen,t back to it,and scrolled down...BINGO!!!! I need that hose behind the cross member....NOT in front....Fairing repair "in progress" :D

Return to “Goldwing Chat”