Questions regarding "older" men and Goldwings

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
BillyBarcode
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Re: Questions regarding "older" men and Goldwings

Post by BillyBarcode » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:49 pm

rockford75 wrote:First off I ride a 82 Goldwing in my opinion that was one of the best years for the Goldwing. Perfect balance not to many bells and whistles it has all you need. it comes in at just under 700lbs. Soon as Honda put a reverse gear on the wing then its to heavy and has to many options on it.its like riding in my truck. if i wanted to ride in my truck i wouldnt be riding a motorcycle. lol... But no matter what kind of bike you ride it takes practice to get the hang of the bike. Every bike is different. Goldwings are comfortable and i love the storage I have on my bike.

Well as a fellow Wing nut living just west of you in Parkland County, riding an '83 Wing, and also owning a truck, I find we have a great deal in common (except the year of my bike). I'm old too...hope to meet you on the road sometime - not in your truck.

Greetings from Carvel, AB

Bill

rockford75
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

Post by rockford75 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:58 pm

BillyBarcode wrote:
rockford75 wrote:First off I ride a 82 Goldwing in my opinion that was one of the best years for the Goldwing. Perfect balance not to many bells and whistles it has all you need. it comes in at just under 700lbs. Soon as Honda put a reverse gear on the wing then its to heavy and has to many options on it.its like riding in my truck. if i wanted to ride in my truck i wouldnt be riding a motorcycle. lol... But no matter what kind of bike you ride it takes practice to get the hang of the bike. Every bike is different. Goldwings are comfortable and i love the storage I have on my bike.

Well as a fellow Wing nut living just west of you in Parkland County, and riding an '83, and also owning a truck, I find we have a great deal in common (except the year of my bike). I'm old too...hope to meet you on the road sometime - not in your truck.

Greetings from Carvel, AB

Bill

Hello Bill!!

greetings from Edmonton!! I rideout your way quite often! Iam seldom in my truck when its riding season!
A BIKE IS LIKE A AIRPLANE Maintenance Maintenance!

wepaddle
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Post by wepaddle » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:58 am

After 40 years of non-two-wheeling, I started up again with a wing at 60 years of age. I'm now in my 70s and am on a 1500. My strength and reaction time have waned and my wife get nervous when I start and stop, but I still love it and plan to stay as long as possible. Friends look at my age (I look it) and have suggested a trike or smaller bike which are options I am unlikely entertain. What I do is: be more attentive when stopping; pick my parking spaces with care; don't worry about keeping up with the pack; and take my corners a little slower. When I was young and knowingly indestructible, a mentor gave me the best piece of advise when I bought my first machine, a 60 Indian. He simply said, "respect the bike and know what it can do." I remembered that every time I climbed on. Now, as a senior, I have added, " know what I can do."

Slick Willi
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I Interstate

Post by Slick Willi » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:03 am

Renaud said
"Come my friends, 'tis not too late to seek a newer world."
Cheers to open roads, with lots of curves, and diners to be explored!
Slick Willi 8-)

Thomas Hudson
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1982 GL500 Silver Wing
1979 CM400A Automatic

Post by Thomas Hudson » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:56 am

Just turned 44 on September 8th, wanted a Goldwing since I was a child watching my Uncle ride his. I loved the look of the Goldwing and the practicality of the bike from a very young age. It took me a long time to finally get a GL1200 similar to the one he had.
First thing I did was ride to a cul-de-sac behind my house and spend about an hour or so doing progressively slower figure eights in a tighter pattern until I felt that I had a good grip on the balance of the bike. I love this bike, using the technique of dragging the rear brake, feathering the clutch, and constant throttle, I feel very much in control of its slow speed maneuvering, and love the torque of the engine. If it feels tippy just roll the throttle come off the clutch and the bike stands up straight and goes. When in doubt, throttle out.
If time and money would have allowed, I would have had a Goldwing years ago. I have a few bikes in the stable now and they are all fun, but the Wing will be my main ride as soon as I get it all freshened up and the services caught up.
Is the Goldwing an old mans bike? No! I just think it takes some of us a while to appreciate what exactly a good motorcycle really is, and once you do understand, you never want anything less.
Ride safe, ride often. See You out there
Follow the progress of my GL500 Project:Left4Dead here: http://cx500forum.com/forum/garage-wall ... cycle.html

glasshead
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

Post by glasshead » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:43 pm

I turned 63 in June. I bought my 83 Interstate 5 years ago. It had been 20 years since my last bike. Before that I had a 750 honda and a 350 before that. This one IS heavy. Not only that, but I am 5 ft 7 inches tall, and I am barely on the balls of my feet at a full stop. I dropped the bike twice at stop signs the first DAY I got it. I park it under the far corner of my car port and have some weaving to do going between my neighbors driveway,bushes and my wife's car parked in the car port. Then more weaving to get into the back yard in the space in front of the wife's car and then a tight turn around to come back up onto the car port to be facing the right direction to pull out. The first year I layed it down several times between my car port and the neighbors driveway (a patch of grass between us) as I pulled in, several times as I pulled out and another several times during the turn around in my yard.
I practiced in a parking lot for a few minutes once a week (after taking the motorcycle course) for the first year. I have not dropped it once since that first summer. I only occasionally take it to the parking lot any more. And I sometimes leave the grill or some other big object in my yard in my path (not on purpose), and not only have to make a sharp turn around, but dodge "stuff" in the process.
Like everyone has said, the more you ride and practice slow maneuvers, the easier the beast is to tame. And never put your feet down until ready to stop. That first summer I would put a foot out as I approached the car port from my yard (going zero miles an hour) thinking it was good to be ready to ??? hold it up? Well, one day my foot was pointed down just a little and the tip of my shoe grazed the ground and my whole leg shot back and my foot hit one of the crash bar in the back. I had a sore arch on that foot (nagging pain) for a year before it healed completely.

As far as parking in lots, I look for a place with at least two joining spaces open. With all the slow speed practice, I am able to pull into one and turn around into the other facing out. I hope I can still do it all when I am 70. I'm not sure it would be as easy with a 1500 or bigger, but like it has been said, its all in balance, a little back brake and clutch work.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:43 pm

I would urge every rider who "taught him/herself" or learned from a friend to sign up as quick as possible for a MSF rider course.

I learned to ride on a Honda 50 Cub back in the 1960's and rode a good number of motorcycles before I got around to taking the course in on my then new to me Yamaha Venture in 1989. Wow, did I ever learn a lot and that learning process has not slowed since.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

WINGER3
Motorcycle: current 1985 GL1200A previous GL1200A GL1500K GL1100A CB350 GL650I VFR1000 ST1100 GL1200A GL1500I GL1800ABS GL1500CT + many other brands

Post by WINGER3 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:44 pm

fruffing wrote:Here is something I learned. When coming to a stop, I get into neutral early; maybe at 10 to 15 mph. Then I coast, brake down to low speed just to the point where balance starts to be a problem. Simultaneously I hit the front brake hard and put down my feet. Hitting the brake lowers the bike making it easier to balance the bike with my feet and eliminating the very slow speed where the bike is hard to handle. I may move a couple of inches from the time I hit the brake until I am fully stopped. Try it; I think you will like it. Works for me.
I HAVE JUST ONE QUESTION, IS THIS GUY STILL ALIVE?, I have been ridding since I was 10, started on a Cushman and been on 6 Goldwings in the last 30 years, 1 GL1100A, 2 GL1200A, 1 GL1500I & 1 K, current GL1800ABS. I also spent a lot time on a Norton 850 full Dunstall and what a canyon screemer, VFR1000 and @ 160+ alongside a Porsch turbo, I must have been crazy, a great ST1100 sport and many other great bikes, but I love the Goldwing the best by far. I can never recall a time when I put my bike in neutral at a stop, unless like the Admin say's, only when eveyone else is stopped behind me for a construction site ETC.. I'm now 74 years "young" and can still pick up my 1800, not that I dropped it, I layed it down on a pad to see if I could by using my legs as can be seen in many videos. Just as most have said, practice is the only way to handle the weight. :mrgreen:
Last edited by WINGER3 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DON'T DESTROY IT-RESTORE IT

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (122k)

Post by PastoT » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:53 pm

Great replies all the way down but I think one part of the question was missed...

"I'm just curious to know why do I see older men on Goldwings?"

It takes so long for a Goldwing rider to afford one! After that it has got to be the comfort factor as we now have or make the time to ride further and enjoy it more easily. I've wanted a Wing since I was in college and 30 years later I was able to buy one financially and without family/spousal objections. :lol: (BTW I'm widowed, so sadly there was far less discussion about this purchase :roll: ).
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 122k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:30 pm

PastoT wrote:Great replies all the way down but I think one part of the question was missed...

"I'm just curious to know why do I see older men on Goldwings?"

It takes so long for a Goldwing rider to afford one! After that it has got to be the comfort factor as we now have or make the time to ride further and enjoy it more easily. I've wanted a Wing since I was in college and 30 years later I was able to buy one financially and without family/spousal objections. :lol: (BTW I'm widowed, so sadly there was far less discussion about this purchase :roll: ).
Older Gents buy Wings is probably it's the same reason why older Gents buy Buicks.
Both vehicles are high luxury items for men and both are more appreciated,
unlike ZoomSplats.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

WINGER3
Motorcycle: current 1985 GL1200A previous GL1200A GL1500K GL1100A CB350 GL650I VFR1000 ST1100 GL1200A GL1500I GL1800ABS GL1500CT + many other brands

Post by WINGER3 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:49 pm

I'm just curious to know why do I see older men on Goldwings?

I GUESS THE SIMPLE ANSWER IS " BECAUSE WE CAN" AND AS LONG AS I CAN AT 74 I WILL. THANKS FOR THE QUESTION. :mrgreen:

PS; I should have answered this on my last post.
DON'T DESTROY IT-RESTORE IT

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:11 pm

Gotta love all CAPS.. .. JUST gotta.
I wonder, is all that flak in GWRRA thread bleeeed'n over to here?

JUST curious. ;)

Sing it John Prine.. .. ..
"I ain't pick'n on nobody,
I ain't pick'n on no one."
:twisted:
Last edited by FM-USA on Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:15 pm

This #2 post is just WEIRD.

Dark Angel
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800

Post by Dark Angel » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:25 pm

I am 51 (in two days), I have had my 2015 Wing for 17 days and 1400 miles. It feels like an extension of my body. I was also concerned about the size and weight until I rode it. Very easy bike to ride, one of the easiest in my experience. I am 5'9" 160 lbs. Very fit, regular hardscramble racer. We do practice balance and standing still, full lock, etc on our 2 strokes. Seat position and shifting back and forth on the seat is also essential. Shift forward to stop, equal front, back, one finger on front, two fingers on the clutch. Left foot down for balance, all the way at stop, release and roll away. The low weight, nice hydro clutch, wide engagement point, and smooth power all make this bike effortless. It is easier to ride on dirt roads and across uneven surfaces than my 650 vstrom. A fantastic bike. I feel foolish for not d I scoring this machine much earlier in my riding career.
The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams it's heaven and hell. RJD

bstig60
Motorcycle: 2003 GL 1800
1999 Virago XV1100LC
Luggage Trailer, 2014 Home Made

Post by bstig60 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:49 am

This is my second 1500 and I just bought it last September. In a year I have put 15000 miles on it. Is the bike heavy? Yes! But I find it handles very well since I installed a fork brace. Moving the bike around at slow speeds in my driveway; gravel; can be interesting, but with a little practice its manageable. I have learned that you don't put your foot down as you come to a stop, you put your foot down when you come to a full stop and you won't have any problems holding the bike up. I have always thought that at some point I would go with a trike, but after seeing a friend who is several years younger than me go from an 1800 trike back to a 1500SE I wonder if I will do that or not. I do know I will ride until the "last dog is dead", so to speak........ I am 70 years old and counting.........
Bill

Firstwinger
Motorcycle: 1994 Gl1500 Aspencade
83 Honda XL 185S
83 Honda Shadow 750
Previous Bikes 81 GL500I Silverwing, 83 Yamaha XS 400 Special, Yamaha Warrior 350, Honda XR 80,Kawasaki 250 ATV, Yamaha Blaster 200 Honda 200 ATV.

Post by Firstwinger » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 am

I had been riding for 30 years before getting my 94 Aspencade. They are a bike that takes some getting used to. Mostly as others have said the slow speed, stopping & starting is the most difficult to adapt to. The biggest help for me was always wearing boots with the extra thick soles and heal. This help me be more sure footed in moving the beast around. One thing I have not seen mentioned that happened to me is they are so quite sometimes I would stall, being unable to hear with other bikes next to me. So I now "feel" the clutch grab and estimate throttle to prevent stalling. As mentioned riding provides the best insights to making these corrections. On a side note once adapted to this bike I feel it is the best riding bike out there. Yes it can be heavy but worth it in handling and comfort. I recently went with a friend to look at a first bike for him. So I rode over to look at this bike he was looking at. I took it for a test ride for him. He asked how was it? I had to reply I am unsure if the v-twin bike was supposed to run like that. Simply put we are all used to what we are used to. So ride & ride and all of your former concerns will melt away into the road behind you.

Ride safe, & enjoy!

c5cruiser
Motorcycle: 1969 Triumph T-90 350
1970 Honda 350
1975 Honda 750-4
2003 VTX/R
1960 Honda Trail 50
2004 GL1800A

Post by c5cruiser » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:09 pm

Hi Ken
I'm 60 and I got my 04 1800 about 2-3 months ago. Man was it big and heavy.
I started on a 350 Triumph when I was 15, moved to a Honda 350 then a 750-4 but I've always loved the GL's. I've been riding a VTX since 02 and then I got the beast!
It is heavy and always will be. It took a month or so to get used to the weight. Moving is the greatest thing since banana pudding but coming to a stop, it will always be a big bike. It's all in the way you stop.
Respect it and never be afraid of saying, "that's the way I park it" when it does lean over.
Frankly I've been thinking of getting a Voyager trike kit for just those moments.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:10 am

( I am not endorsing this in any way. It is JUST for you're info )

Here's a possible alternative...
http://www.trikealternative.com
... AND gives you a choice at the flip of a switch.

c5cruiser
Motorcycle: 1969 Triumph T-90 350
1970 Honda 350
1975 Honda 750-4
2003 VTX/R
1960 Honda Trail 50
2004 GL1800A

Post by c5cruiser » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:09 am

Hi FM-USA
I've looked at them both. They're beyond my price range however I've always liked the landing gear.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:48 pm

No idea on there price of that landing gear, didn't look into it.
I just did a quick Goog-pix search for landing gear and ran across that, which looked good and went to it.

Turning 62 shortly, my legs are still good as is my back and can still hoist up the Wing from the guards with ease. I'm almost 1/3 the bikes weight so my Wing knows who's in charge... (i hope :roll: ).

flogger
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (Newest Project)

Post by flogger » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:42 am

Amazing how much good information is in the beginning of this post and in the videos... I am right in the main age group in the age poll and I found things discussed here that I've always done, some were taught and some just seemed like common sense...
1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (project)

Image Image Image Image

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:54 am

I have a sneaky feeling this year..... I may need snow ski outriggers on my Wing.

hummmmm, wonder if them snowmobile blades with little wheels could work..... :?:

H20loo
Motorcycle: 99 gl se

Post by H20loo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:11 am

I am 62- still not sure I'm old enough for a 'wing

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:56 am

H20loo wrote:I am 62- still not sure I'm old enough for a 'wing
STILL A KID at heart ay.
Join the club. ;)

flogger
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (Newest Project)

Post by flogger » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:29 pm

FM-USA wrote:.
Gotta love all CAPS.. .. JUST gotta.
I wonder, is all that flak in GWRRA thread bleeeed'n over to here?
JUST curious. ;)

WHAT DID YOU SAY FM? THIS IS THE OLD MANS THREAD...

1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (project)

Image Image Image Image