Questions regarding "older" men and Goldwings

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
silverado6x6
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Re: Questions regarding "older" men and Goldwings

Post by silverado6x6 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:23 am

I dropped my 89 Venture Royal when i put the kickstand in a soft sandy hole, took three people to get it back up, it has a v4 engine, just that small amount of weight up higher than a boxer type motor was the difference.

Founder of Steel Horse Restorations

Scooter363y
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Post by Scooter363y » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:29 pm

I think the older men and goldwing kinda go together because:

1. The wing is definitely not a beginner bike. Most of the riders have years of riding experience on smaller bikes before stepping up to a really large bike. Not as intimidating after several riding years on smaller bikes. And let's face there aren't many bikes larger than our beloved wings.

2. The wing is a very expensive bike. Let alone the thousands of dollars of accessories that we like to lavish on them. And it takes years to climb up the income ladder.

3. It sometimes takes of riding smaller less comfortable bikes before we can appreciate our wings.

4. When I go riding with my younger buds I constantly get a ribbing about riding an "old mans" bike. Right up till we get off after a 200 mile ride for lunch. When I calmly walk into the restaurant (admitingly it's a Cracker Barrel, another old folks place) like nothing at all. While they are nursing sore arms,backs and bums. Then some of them getting the reasoning for it.

It looks cool to have a race track inspired looking bike or a cool cruiser looking bike or a naked bike. But we ride on the street and that is where a wing really shines. Did I mention that momma likes it too!

Ride safe
Scooter

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by OldZX11Rider » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:43 pm

Older men, besides having the resources, have the patience to wait on that new replacement part coming in the mail. :lol:
Remembering what it is, and what it's for, when it arrives is another topic. :roll:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

tommyemoody
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1995 SE, 1995 Aspencade

Post by tommyemoody » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:02 pm

I'm 66 years young; it's all about balance.

Scooter363y

Post by Scooter363y » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:32 pm

Maybe we need to change the title to "Questions regarding more experienced men and Goldwings!"

I'm counting down the days till I can get the wing out.

Ride safe
Scooter

jandjgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500, 1992 FXDC, 1976 CB750

Post by jandjgoldwing » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:46 am

I'm 72. 26 years ago, my wife and I decided that we could go to Pennsylvania, where we had lived and worked, anytime we wanted to, on an airplane, train or car. Being in an area where the weather provided for over 300 days a year of riding, beachcombing and other warm weather activities was very important to us. We moved to the Daytona Beach area, then found our way here, near Bradenton. If there was one thing we never regretted, it was getting away from the cold, dark weather "up North". In fact, we regret not having moved here sooner. Our friends and family still live in Pennsylvania, but visiting with them hasn't been an inconvenience. We go there when it's nice there, they come here it's not nice there. We only live once.

We ride nearly every week. My Goldwing is my primary transportation, including for grocery shopping, but we also have a C6 Corvette convertible for backup. Anyone who thinks it's too hot in Florida has probably drawn that conclusion from a vacation in the Orlando area. Or because someone told him that. On the coast, the weather here is typically much better than in Pennsylvania, even in July. Hurricanes? We sat through one (Charley). But that's not the norm any more than a blizzard in Pennsylvania. Florida is a great place to live, greater for bikers.

dank
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100A STD

Post by dank » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:29 am

So, I'm 74 and move my Goldwing around just fine. When backing it out of the barn, I use the front shocks to help move the bike as I have a torn meniscus in my right knee (old HD stroker injury). I rock forward holding the front brake and release when the bike rocks back. As for picking up a 700 lb bike, I just don't fall down.

jvanpotter
Motorcycle: 2004 NRX1800 Rune in Illusion Blue
2007 GL18B (Airbag) in Newport Blue
1990 GL1500SE (for sale)

Post by jvanpotter » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:13 am

As others have said, it's all in preparation, and paying attention to your surroundings. Reverse is a blessing when you have to park in anything other than a level spot. And picking up a fallen Wing is definitely a chore, so you learn to avoid situations where you risk a spill. My friend's Yamaha nearly crushed his ankle when he made a mistake in the parking lot at Monticello (one of the worst lots in the world). I had to drop my Wing to run to help get his bike upright again. Slow speed maneuvers can be treacherous on uneven ground.

I rode a Honda 160 in college, and didn't ride again until that retired friend of mine suggested we take bike trips. Buying a '90 SE and fixing it up, I had to learn how to handle a 900 lb GoldWing. You can throw a 300 lb 160 around, as I did on many a run between home and school, but you don't do that with a GoldWing. In MA, you take a training class to get a motorcycle license. And then practice a lot.

We have taken a few trips - the highest compliment I've been paid was when my friend's wife asked if she could ride with me, because the small pillion seat on his Yamaha wasn't at all comfortable. She trusted my skill. Riding with her on the rear seat made that '90 Wing more stable. I'll be 70 this year, and the '07 airbag Wing I bought two years ago is easier to handle, with a lower center of gravity and better road manners. My new (to me) '04 Rune will be perfect for day trips around New England. I intend to keep riding as long as I can.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 2003 GL 1800
1999 Virago XV1100LC
Luggage Trailer, 2014 Home Made
1983 XJ 750 Seca Tour Model w/ hard bags and trunk
1987 Honda TLR 200

Post by bstig60 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:07 am

jandjgoldwing wrote: Anyone who thinks it's too hot in Florida has probably drawn that conclusion from a vacation in the Orlando area. Or because someone told him that. On the coast, the weather here is typically much better than in Pennsylvania, even in July. Hurricanes? We sat through one (Charley). But that's not the norm any more than a blizzard in Pennsylvania. Florida is a great place to live, greater for bikers.
Great point! I lived in SE Florida for 13 years, loved it! Moved back to California because of my kids and grandkids, but now I have had enough and will be moving to Rockledge, FL this fall. Looking forward to a nice, warm winter. I'm 71 and am off tomorrow on at weeks trip to Death Valley NP.
Bill

SequiMike
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800
1998 Valkyrie 1500C
1977 Honda 750A
2015 Harley FLHR

Post by SequiMike » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:49 am

I'm 73 now and am fortunate enough to still be able to ride. A few years back I found myself dropping my GL1500 from time to time and decided I needed something on 3 wheels. Bought a used CanAm on ebay and only had it for two months before getting rid of it - it was fun, but definitely not the motorcycle experience I had come to enjoy over the years. One day I drove it to the Harley Dealership and came home with a new Dyna and found that much easier to control than the 1500 and with a lower center of gravity. Later I bought an '02 GL1800 - what a great bike! Between the Dyna and the Wing, I had all bases covered. The 1800 is a MAJOR improvement over the 1500; more agile, quicker, and easier to horse around (although it's still quite heavy). Fast-forward a couple of years to today - The Dyna gave way to a Heritage which eventually gave way to a Road King. The '02 Wing was sold to a friend and a '14 Wing took its place. A '98 Valkyrie was tossed into the mix a couple of years ago just for fun. The bottom line is that with reasonable health and the right bike(s), a person should be able to ride well into their senior years. Reaction time is slower (leave more room in front of you), balance is not as good as it used to be (try not to stop on gravel), and endurance is diminished (call it a day at 4pm and enjoy a beer with the sunset, rather than riding on into the night). Know your limits, plan your moves, and learn to pick the bike up off the crash bars. We have members in our club that are still riding in their mid-eighties, and I hope to be one of them some day.

HawkFlyer
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL650I Interstate
1983 Honda GL1100I Interstate
1994 Honda GL1500SE Special Edition

Post by HawkFlyer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:19 pm

The weight is not really a big deal. I was kind of concerned about that too and it kept me from buying a GW for a long time. I have since learned that if it Tips over I can pick it up. I will be 65 this year and I do not lift weights; so it should be abig deal but it is not. At low speeds the GL1500 is designed to just rest on the chrome Bag and engine guards. It is suprizingly easy to pick it back up. In fact it it easier than picking up a GL650. I have both and believe me I would rather pick up the GW.

All the advice here about practice is correct. Find a big parking lot and procatice slow speed riding. If it falls over, proctice picking it up.

MiWinger51
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade
2006 GL 1800 audio comfort navi
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Post by MiWinger51 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:08 am

Ken Styles wrote:Hey All,

I just have a question. I'm 35 and I would say I'm a pretty strong guy. Not the weakest I know.

I've been riding my 86 Interstate for a few weeks now and love it but I have one problem.

It's HEAVY as all sin. I'm coming from the sportbike world where bieks are 400-500 lbs.

I'm just curious to know why do I see older men on Goldwings? Whats the attraction to such a heavy bike?

Is it the comfort factor?

I struggle sometimes with moving this thing in and out of parking spaces and I'm like what if I was 20 years older?? I wouldn't be able to do it.

I actually got this bike because it was the bike my wife felt most comfortable and "safe" on so I went with it.

Any thoughts?
Well friend, I am 66 years young and have learned how to handle 2 wings. I have an 87 Aspencade and a 2006 Audio comfort navi. Although the 2006 is heavier it is easier to handle. The balance is outstanding with it's low center of gravity. It also has reverse which the 87 doesn't have. That makes it easier to maneuver in tight spots. The key is to keep the bike balanced. I did have each one fall over while sitting still while in the learning curve. I looked on youtube to figure out how to get them up again. Enjoy the bike and keep the wife happy. "A happy wife makes for a happy life."
Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (X2), 2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:06 am

wireguy51 wrote:
Ken Styles wrote:Hey All,

I just have a question. I'm 35 and I would say I'm a pretty strong guy. Not the weakest I know.

I've been riding my 86 Interstate for a few weeks now and love it but I have one problem.

It's HEAVY as all sin. I'm coming from the sportbike world where bieks are 400-500 lbs.

I'm just curious to know why do I see older men on Goldwings? Whats the attraction to such a heavy bike?

Is it the comfort factor?

I struggle sometimes with moving this thing in and out of parking spaces and I'm like what if I was 20 years older?? I wouldn't be able to do it.

I actually got this bike because it was the bike my wife felt most comfortable and "safe" on so I went with it.

Any thoughts?
Well friend, I am 66 years young and have learned how to handle 2 wings. I have an 87 Aspencade and a 2006 Audio comfort navi. Although the 2006 is heavier it is easier to handle. The balance is outstanding with it's low center of gravity. It also has reverse which the 87 doesn't have. That makes it easier to maneuver in tight spots. The key is to keep the bike balanced. I did have each one fall over while sitting still while in the learning curve. I looked on youtube to figure out how to get them up again. Enjoy the bike and keep the wife happy. "A happy wife makes for a happy life."
I'm retired, 62, and have an '85 LTD and a 2008 GL1800, both are great bikes, but prefer the '85 (main ride). When I got back into riding bought an '07 Suzuki C90T (1500 cc). It had a mind of its own so I looked for an advanced riding course to get better acquainted. Did the same when I upgraded to the 1800 and as well for the 1200 as all bikes behave differently. Best money spent as personal feedback at the time of practice is priceless.

Recommend taking an advanced riding course to get the specifics of how to handle a bigger bike, then practice, practice, practice, and the practice will be based on good (professional) feedback on your riding.

There are very talented instructors out there that can get on any bike and make it dance. I had the pleasure of taking a course under this instructor Steve McKenna (he's not a big lad):

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Post by maestro319 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:17 pm

I'm 72 and ride a 95' trike. Great for balance. BUT,.... getting to be just a tad harder to get on. But, once on, . . . it's all systems go.

Scooter363y

Post by Scooter363y » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:25 pm

Well I just turned 60 earlier this year. I don't know if that makes me an older/more experienced rider. I've been riding since 6 years old . My first street bike was a kz900 in 77 followed by quite a few more. My 2014 wing is motorcycle #45 for me. But I was in the motorcycle business for a number of years. Bought more than my share of wrecked/broken bikes, fixed them up rode em for a while. Then sold em. I also roadraced and drag raced. That put a few bikes in my garage. Right now I'm working on a 1007 BMW f650 funduro with only 3,400 miles on it.

I haven't had problems in the past but now I realize that I am getting older and not as stout as I used to be. So I'm real careful when riding the wing. I was riding/working on my brothers gl1100 interstate when a funny thing happened. I was riding down some back roads before working on it just getting a feel for what needed to be fixed. I had just planned on a short ride and not very fast to listen for noises so not all the safety gear came along. I came to a stop sign, there was a car coming from the other road so I stopped. I always use both brakes so I went to put my left foot out when I couldn't do it me and the bike just flopped over at the intersection. If any of you older gentlemen remember a show called "laugh in" then you can imagine this scene. The car going the other way stopped to see if I was ok. I wiggled my left foot out of my shoe only to find after I picked up the bike that my shoelace had become entangled in the shifter lever. Very embarrassing. On my longer rides I always wear my high road boots. I had no problem picking up the bike but I attribute this to embarrassment and addrendalin. This is a lesson learned I am still able to lift up a fallen wing and don't wear shoes with long shoelaces.

Ride safe
Scooter

Scooter363y

Post by Scooter363y » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:26 pm

Make that a 1997 BMW F650 Funduro!

Scooter363y

Post by Scooter363y » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:30 pm

Well I just turned 60 earlier this year. I don't know if that makes me an older/more experienced rider. I've been riding since 6 years old . My first street bike was a kz900 in 77 followed by quite a few more. My 2014 wing is motorcycle #45 for me. But I was in the motorcycle business for a number of years. Bought more than my share of wrecked/broken bikes, fixed them up rode em for a while. Then sold em. I also roadraced and drag raced. That put a few bikes in my garage. Right now I'm working on a 1007 BMW f650 funduro with only 3,400 miles on it.

I haven't had problems in the past but now I realize that I am getting older and not as stout as I used to be. So I'm real careful when riding the wing. I was riding/working on my brothers gl1100 interstate when a funny thing happened. I was riding down some back roads before working on it just getting a feel for what needed to be fixed. I had just planned on a short ride and not very fast to listen for noises so not all the safety gear came along. I came to a stop sign, there was a car coming from the other road so I stopped. I always use both brakes so I went to put my left foot out when I couldn't do it me and the bike just flopped over at the intersection. If any of you older gentlemen remember a show called "laugh in" then you can imagine this scene. The car going the other way stopped to see if I was ok. I wiggled my left foot out of my shoe only to find after I picked up the bike that my shoelace had become entangled in the shifter lever. Very embarrassing. On my longer rides I always wear my high road boots. I had no problem picking up the bike but I attribute this to embarrassment and addrendalin. This is a lesson learned I am still able to lift up a fallen wing and don't wear shoes with long shoelaces.

Ride safe
Scooter

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:38 pm

I learned that lesson many years ago.
Now I never wear shoes with any laces at all!
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

Scooter363y

Post by Scooter363y » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:07 pm

Yes a good lesson learned. I try to wear my motorcycle boots all the time n don't feel right not wearing them anymore.

Scooter

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:52 am

ALSO reference to others posted.
offcenter wrote:I learned that lesson many years ago.
Now I never wear shoes with any laces at all!
I had my shoe lace loops catch on the highway pegs but I had time to remedy that before stopping. Still was a bit scary but I wear my shoes just a little on the loose side so I was able to slip out.

What I do now is tie the shoe string under the shoes tongue and if needed, double knot the loops if needed to make them near impossible to catch anything. The tag ends I tuck into the lower cross lacing, NOTHING is hang'n out.

My laces have caught nothing in 7 or 8 years, so this is working. Besides with the tongue up a little, I get more air under there.
BOOTS, had'm, can't wear'm long. My feets sweat too much. :|
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

Spaceman7015
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100

Post by Spaceman7015 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:52 pm

Funny that you mentioned this. I'm 60 years old and just 3 weeks ago I picked up a 1983 GL1100. Last time I was on a bike was 1987. I had many choices but the WING is in pretty good shape. Me on the other hand, maybe having it will force me to continue to exercise? Nah.

MiWinger51
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade
2006 GL 1800 audio comfort navi
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Post by MiWinger51 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Spaceman7015 wrote:Funny that you mentioned this. I'm 60 years old and just 3 weeks ago I picked up a 1983 GL1100. Last time I was on a bike was 1987. I had many choices but the WING is in pretty good shape. Me on the other hand, maybe having it will force me to continue to exercise? Nah.
I wish I would have posted my 87 Aspencade in the for sale forum a little earlier, It would have served you well. Take a look at it and pass along the info to anyone else you know who's looking for a great classic Wing. I will entertain offers.
Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Post by wing rider 2012 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:57 pm

I sometimes ride with a couple of guys out of Grants Pass, Oregon, one is 85 and the other is 81, they both ride GL1800's. They remarked that when they get to the age of not being able to ride anymore, then they will think about giving up riding, they can not see themselves on 3 wheels. I'm 67, and I ride on 2 wheels until I can not hold it up, which that should be well into my 90's, I hope.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:32 pm

A little exercise MIGHT do the trick to ride until... ? ? ?

Jack LaLanne, Founder of Modern Fitness Movement, Dies at 96. (1959–2011)
Cause of death, respiratory failure resulting from pneumonia.

Jack LaLanne, whose obsession with grueling workouts and good nutrition, complemented by a salesman’s gift, brought him recognition as the founder of the modern physical fitness movement, died Sunday afternoon at his home in Morro Bay, Calif. He was 96.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

rcgreg
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited

Post by rcgreg » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:17 pm

I'm 70 - and my wing is a 85 Ltd. Looks like this year I'll finally have to put the 'training wheels' mod on it, of course - I will add a gear to one of the wheels and a motor and chain drive so that i have reverse.