Questions regarding "older" men and Goldwings

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
MiWinger51
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade
2006 GL 1800 audio comfort navi
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Re: Questions regarding "older" men and Goldwings

Post by MiWinger51 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:32 pm

rcgreg wrote:I'm 70 - and my wing is a 85 Ltd. Looks like this year I'll finally have to put the 'training wheels' mod on it, of course - I will add a gear to one of the wheels and a motor and chain drive so that i have reverse.
Tell me, what training wheel kit are you considering? I have an 87 Aspencade that I am considering doing that modification on. If it doesn't sell, I need to make it drivable for my wife.

Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al

rcgreg
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited

Post by rcgreg » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:39 pm

The DIY article on this board, couple of 12V 4" stroke actuators, some angle iron and iron pipe 2 6 inch wheels and there you have it. You can get the actuators with mounting hardware and a REMOTE to pu on your key chain for about 120 bucks US - check out ebay.

Spaceman7015
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100

Post by Spaceman7015 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:43 pm

That 83 came with a journey kit installed. I do plan to remove it. Probably should keep it for later....??????

2014redwing
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Post by 2014redwing » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:44 pm

practice practice practice . loosing your footing while parking!!! i have seen this happen a few times while the rider is pushing the bike backwards , but never a goldwing , once a couple young bucks laughed at the older gentlemen ! After we went over and helped him pick it up i told them all if thats the worst thing that happens i will kick mine over on its side everytime i get on it . KEEP THE SHINY SIDE UP!!!!

tbird71
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard W/Hondaline Fairing
1989 GL1500 completely bone stock

DONT overload your brain!

Post by tbird71 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:50 am

The one thing I have learned ABOUT THE GOLDWING (FOR ME ANYWAYS) is to ALWAYS come to a complete stop
at intersections...do not try to make rolling stops! If you misjudge traffic and have to panic stop you WILL be picking the bike up. Just take your time and dont ever try to "horse" the thing around...you will LOSE

These are pretty easy bikes to ride once you learn how, and it WILL be a learning experience, as with any bike.

Mav4G
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE Goldwing - Current
1999 VT1100T Shadow ACE Tourer - Current
1987 GL1200A Aspencade x2
1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1978 GL1000A Goldwing
1979 Harley XLCH
1972 Honda CB305
8 or 9 other street bikes
Over a dozen dirt bikes.

Post by Mav4G » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:14 pm

I think some of us 'older guys' simply enjoy the heavy ride for what it is. In my youth the average car started out around 3200 lbs and came with a big block motor. I didn't drive through ruts I made them. The beauty of the weight is in the handling. I can do things with an old Cadillac or Lincoln people today can't manage with a Toyota or midsize car. On the open road, with all those ponies, you felt invincible and comfortable - room to move and the power to get it done. I have owned many vehicles and motorcycles and I left my 77 Harley XLCH for a 78 Wing when I was in southern CA. On the road it handled like a boss. AND I could take a passenger and all our belongings for extended weekend road trips and my passenger enjoyed it all too. Like the old cars with big trunks and back seats we owned the road. Right now I own a GL1500 but I also own a Honda VT1100T - a cult bagger only produced for a few years. Its much lighter than the Wing and yet almost every time I head out I must decide which one I want to ride - and ninety percent of the time I find myself on the Wing. Its an easy 350 lbs heavier than the ACE and the difference just feels good to me. On the lighter bike when an 18 wheeler wants to barrel a wind tunnel on the road I have to be extra diligent handling the jet wash as he goes by me. On the Wing its barely noticeable; due in part to my skills, but only because the Wing lets me handle it the way it should be. You can't compare the big Honda to a dressed Harley; they're like apples and oranges. But with the Harley I would get tired from the vibrating loud pipes all day. I can go twice as far on a Wing and not feel half as bad at the end of a long ride compared to almost any other bike I've ever owned which is why I'm on my 6th Wing. And during those times I find myself in inclement weather Im so much more confident on my Wing - as it handles so much better with so little effort. I think once a newbie understands that greater weight means early planning they'll gain the confidence they need. You simply anticipate whats coming and adjust for it early. In this way everything glides and your passenger is having fun too. I never tailgate in any vehicle, but since I can stop a bike on a dime and I know the guy behind me can't - I leave room for all that. I rarely have to brake hard or make sudden moves so the ride is just fun. And at the end of the day my aging issues aren't working against me like they might on another ride. And it gets better if you're pulling a tailer. Honda made the Goldwing to do all the work so I don't have to. :)

RoadRunner15
Motorcycle: 2015 Honda GoldWing Level III

Post by RoadRunner15 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:33 am

I celebrated my 65th Birthday and retirement by riding my 2015 GL1800 Level III from New Jersey to Alaska and back - over 16,000 miles this past summer. It was a very enjoyable trip!

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:00 am

RoadRunner15 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:33 am
I celebrated my 65th Birthday and retirement by riding my 2015 GL1800 Level III from New Jersey to Alaska and back - over 16,000 miles this past summer. It was a very enjoyable trip!

Awesome!

I would like to do that myself, but I'm not sure that I would enjoy a full month on the road.
~John

See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

RoadRunner15
Motorcycle: 2015 Honda GoldWing Level III

Post by RoadRunner15 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:23 pm

We took our time, visiting 11 U.S. National Parks; 4 Canadian Provincial Parks; rode U.S. 50 across Nevada; Million Dollar Highway in Colorado, and many attractions and points of interest along the way.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:47 am

I have taken the plunge and purchased the "Legs Up" 'training wheels'. They should be here next week, so I will write a review when I have some experience with them. They provide a pretty good write up on their web pages on how to fit them, so if anyone was to stuff it up, Redial is the man! I still love my 1500.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (X2), 2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:13 am

redial wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:47 am
I have taken the plunge and purchased the "Legs Up" 'training wheels'. They should be here next week, so I will write a review when I have some experience with them. They provide a pretty good write up on their web pages on how to fit them, so if anyone was to stuff it up, Redial is the man! I still love my 1500.
Looked at this companies web site last year. Impressive videos. Look forward to your review once you get the install done.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:59 pm

redial wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:47 am

I am betting that you really like them.
the videos that I have watched, seem to make a statement for safety for us ole codgers.
~John

See you at NASR-11 July 10th, 11th, 12th 2018

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/c ... 9-nasr-11/

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (X2), 2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:05 pm

Not inexpensive, but less expensive than a trike or trike conversion. Videos are excellent and the manual for the 1500 is quite good.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:17 am

I do not know if this post is going to be received in open mindedness or not. I have just read the entire thread through, and many have stated that buying a Goldwing at a later period in life was dependent on being able to afford it, as they are expensive. There are an awful lot of young bucks who have shelled out the same or more on Harleys many times over, over the years, so I cannot believe that the expense of the Goldwing is the reason that we "older" men have them. I just think that when we learn better, we do better. I bought my Goldwing because the Harleys were bothering my tendinitis with the V-Twin vibration. What I discovered was that the Goldwing is a superior motorcycle to anything Harley ever built, and I had a '57, a '65, a '74, all sold since I bought the Goldwing and still own a 1987 Softail Custom on which I put 130,000 miles in 13 months, the year I got out of the army. It was my psychiatrist, and I got back home at least partially sane, which I was not, on departure. I lived like a scooter tramp for just over a year. Over the years, however, it got so I was riding less and less due to the difficulty with riding with no feeling in my arms :lol: . The Softail now gets, if lucky, a hundred miles a year for the shear hell of the noise and balls to the wall riding. The remaining 15,000 or so miles every year are on the Goldwing. It is an absolute pleasure to ride. I will turn 70 this year, have been riding since I was 15, and have counted a little over 800,000 miles, aiming for a minimum of the million mark before I have to trike out a bike. The advice about finding parking lots for slow speed practice is bang on, as is the advice to continue to educate oneself with MSF courses. I took my first basic MSF in 1988, and was amazed at what I learned that I thought I knew before but did not. Since then, I take advanced riding courses and do parking lot practice whenever I can, and at the least, every spring before I begin riding in earnest. I lay my GL1800 on its right side on a pad in order to change out rear tires and never have any trouble righting it. Have I accidentally allowed it to lie down? Of course, but so far only through careless parking, without damage to my baby.

Do I wish I had discovered the Goldwing earlier in my riding life? Not a bit. I enjoyed the years on the Harleys with the riding buddies I had then, but at the end of it all, unless you ride with a significant other in the passenger seat, a person is alone in their ride, no matter how many others are around at the time. The ride is what it is about and it is a singular event, for me, and I would think for many others who share the love and the freedom of it. When I rode a Harley, I did not care what you rode, as long as you rode, and I would ride with you any time any place. That has not changed. I will still ride with any one, any where, at least until you demonstrate that I should not, or I demonstrate that you should not. Either is possible as not all of our personalities mesh. I read a book a long time ago, called "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" which had pretty much nothing to do with wrenching and a whole lot more to do with attitude. I have tried to live my motorcycling life and indeed my whole life in the vein of acceptance of others and of their differences. The only thing I have difficulty accepting is the ones who attempt to mandate us off our motorcycles. Nuff outta me. Ride brothers ride.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by seabeechief » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:58 am

Viking, that was the most articulate account of how we got here as I have ever read. I'll be 73 in couple of months, and though I don't ride as much as I used to, I still enjoy my time in the wind as much as I ever did. I had to trike my Phoebee out a couple of years ago and I don't regret it a bit. It has allowed me to stay in the saddle. The only thing I would do differently is try the new front wheel trike kit that lets you lean into the curves. I was not aware of it at the time I triked, and I don't know if I would have opted for that particular method, but I most certainly would have checked into it. Ride SAFE!

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

themainviking
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)

Post by themainviking » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:16 pm

Chief, I totally agree with your thoughts on the front wheel trike kits that allow one to continue to ride the twisties like a two wheel. That is one of my favourite activities. I absolutely love Tennessee and Virginia for all the "Dragon" parts. We have an eleven mile stretch of seriously curvy road about 60 miles from my house, and I get there two or three times every year to practice handling with the fun attendant with the practice. I believe these front wheel systems are a tad more costly than a rear trike conversion, but not seriously so. It would be something I would look at personally. If and when I begin to think about a trike, I shall attend Americade again, or another Wing Ding. They usually have the opportunity to actually try the different triking systems by riding them. It is a pack ride, with no possibility to really test them, but it would give a reasonable amount of information for the decision making process. Hey, maybe I have just given myself another reason to go back to Americade and Laconia this June. I will already be just north of the border from NY at the end of May. Whahoo, another adventure on the horizon.

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by seabeechief » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:31 pm

Viking, we will be making our first Dragon ride this coming May while on our way to Rolling Thunder in DC. The twisty's aren't as much fun as they used to be, but I still have to punch holes in the bucket list. I think I would enjoy going to Americade one of these days. If nothing else it will give me the impetus I need to visit Upstate New York. I understand it is really beautiful up there. So much to do, so little time. Ride SAFE!

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

themainviking
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)

Post by themainviking » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:36 pm

seabeechief wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:31 pm
So much to do, so little time. Ride SAFE!

Chief
You as well, Chief...

garwil
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE
2002 ST1100

Post by garwil » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:29 pm

You got the wing for a good reason (Your wife is comfortable riding it) and now you need to learn to ride it for the same reason (So your wife is comfortable riding it).
Then you get the blessing and joy of having your wife all snuggled up behind you as you ride together.
Just like some other things in your marriage, if you are careful to make it fun for her, she will want to do it more.
Any young guy can take a sports bike past his limit, and a young girl will do a lot of things she doesn't really like to catch you.
But it takes patience, practice and self control to make your wife love riding with you year after year, and that is why old men like gold wings.

WINGER3
Motorcycle: current 1985 GL1200A previous GL1200A GL1500K GL1100A CB350 GL650I VFR1000 ST1100 GL1200A GL1500I GL1800ABS GL1500CT + many other brands

Post by WINGER3 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:12 am

Well I guess since this thread is still going I will put my 2 cents in again, I sold my GL1800, getting to heavy so I bought a GL1500 Valkyrie and that is now up for sale and bought back my 1985 GL1200A that I should never have sold in the first place, now the Valkyrie is getting to heavy (fantastic bike) and at 77 I still love to ride and the 1200 with out the trunk on it is just perfect and gets great MPG, so if you can still pick it up ride it. :mrgreen:

PS; with only 30K miles on it , it will out live me.
DON'T DESTROY IT-RESTORE IT

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Post by wing rider 2012 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:28 pm

Viking, I really enjoyed your post, for me it was spot on. I can relate to your statement about, "It was my psychiatrist, and I got back home at least partially sane" I'm a Vietnam Combat Veteran, and my Gold Wing is still my psychiatrist, nothing relaxes me more that getting out on the Wing and just following the front tire down the road. I'll keep my 2 wheels until I can not ride any more. The roads in Oregon seem to have been made for motorcycles, they are an absolute joy to ride.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

Mav4G
1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1978 GL1000A Goldwing
1979 Harley XLCH
1972 Honda CB305
Over a dozen dirt bikes.

Post by Mav4G » Tue May 01, 2018 2:42 pm

To WINGER 3, It was back in the mid 80s when I bought my first (1978) Goldwing. And I also lived in Orange. During the time I owned that bike I bought a townhome in Yorba Linda as my office was near Anaheim stadium and I used the Wing to commute frequently. I rode that Wing all over southern CA and had the most fun doing it. CA knows how to build roads. Im on the other side of the country now and wish I was still out there... the humidity here sucks half the year. Anyway, wanted to say high and acknowledge you for your commitment to keep riding. Im 65 now and am still on my GL1500, which I absolutely love. When my arthritis in my knees gets to acting crazy I take advantage of my reverse gear. I pull a trailer for weekenders and sometimes I want to forget its back there its so relaxing. I miss the way I could travel on my Wing in CA. The laws there make it so much easier to commute. 'Course nowadays I just ride for the hell of it. Stay safe out there, have fun, and be well!

WINGER3
Motorcycle: current 1985 GL1200A previous GL1200A GL1500K GL1100A CB350 GL650I VFR1000 ST1100 GL1200A GL1500I GL1800ABS GL1500CT + many other brands

Post by WINGER3 » Tue May 01, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi there Mav4G; you must have left a long time ago as the roads are full of holes and it takes a full hour just to get out of the traffic in any direction from Orange where I have lived since 1963. Jerry (MOONBEAM) Brown has destroyed everything his dad built and then some, we are now rated 49th for road conditions and 47th highest gas and diesel prices in the country, I wish the roads where still like in your memory but sadly they are not and you can have all the humidity you want and that is the only good thing left in Ca. NO HUMIDITY. Take care and keep ridding. :mrgreen:
DON'T DESTROY IT-RESTORE IT

Mav4G
1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1978 GL1000A Goldwing
1979 Harley XLCH
1972 Honda CB305
Over a dozen dirt bikes.

Post by Mav4G » Tue May 01, 2018 6:21 pm

Yes, I left southern CA in 90 to take over an office for my company up near San Francisco. Then all the way out here in '99. Its sad to hear that your once incredible highway system has gone to pot! In our age group you don't want to move. Good luck with that. It sounds like you'll have to leave town to have any fun. The infrastructure here was very poorly planned. Cities planned for 200k have 500k living in them and using the same pathways. People plan their careers around road construction... which upon delayed completion is by-then outdated. We live behind the 8 ball. On the upside when its not raining there are a lot of places to see. With water and world class beaches on three sides of the state its not hard finding a place to go, its just getting in line to get there (unless you leave real early and come back late). Well enough of that. I only notice it when Im in my vehicle. When Im on the Wing Im all about enjoying the ride in no particular hurry :-).

RockportDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by RockportDave » Tue May 01, 2018 9:13 pm

I’m well over the 1/2 century mark and my first wing was a 1981 Interstate somewhere in the 1990s. Traded up to a 1985LTD the wife and I took on our honeymoon. Had two different 1988 GL1500s. Didn’t have a bike for about 20 years, but when I rode my son’s Vulcan recently, had to have another.
We bought a 1999 GL1500SE. I let the wife get on while on the side stand and once it’s rolling it’s one of the most nimble bikes made.
Practice 1 up in a parking lot to get the feel of it, lean in the curves and get used to it and ride it! It has more power to weight ratio of most bikes and some cars.
Nothing rides like a Goldwing.

Dave

1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years