Ouch, GL1500 vs deer

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Ouch, GL1500 vs deer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:37 am

I found this video on YouTube. Fast forward to 5:10 in this video, you'll see deer pop out from the left.

This video is a good lesson in what not to do. The camera fixed to the rider's helmet shows that he fixates on the deer, instead of looking for an "out." He isn't looking ahead, as he doesn't hit the brakes until the deer are already quite visible and well across the road. When he does start to brake, he is not using maximum braking, and makes no attempt to swerve. He realizes he is going to hit the deer, so he pulls the brakes hard, still making no attempt to swerve. Then, just at the moment when it looks like he is going to get past the smallest deer, he impacts it, the steering is deflected hard to the left, and down he goes. Fortunately, he had scrubbed off most of his speed by that point.

Hard to say what you would do in another person's shoes, but I hope that I would perform a bit better in his shoes. Lots of practice, so that emergency braking and avoidance are second nature, would make the outcome of this situation much more favorable.

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Re: Ouch, GL1500 vs deer

Postby golden highway » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:36 pm

Those deer like to photo bomb

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 108,900 miles

Postby AZgl1800 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:27 am

1st thing he did wrong was No Gloves...

2nd thing was not slowing down and choosing an avoid route, but there was not a lot of time for him to make the 2nd decision...

You must be always alert to "what if".....

but, I agree he fixated on the deer and amazingly enough, the bike followed his eyes.
John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:55 am

AZgl1500 wrote:1st thing he did wrong was No Gloves...

2nd thing was not slowing down and choosing an avoid route, but there was not a lot of time for him to make the 2nd decision...

You must be always alert to "what if".....

but, I agree he fixated on the deer and amazingly enough, the bike followed his eyes.

I agree about the gloves - I was thinking that as soon as I saw his hands hit the ground. It's nature to try to break one's fall with your hands, and they are frequently the first thing to touch the ground.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:43 pm

A case of the "Should'a, would'a, could'a".

Couple weeks ago we were riding and seen a Doe & Fawn running hard towards the road ahead of us.
Quickly got Deb to see it and just as she did, about 100 ft from the road, the Dow did a hard 180.
I think it was teaching the Fawn survival cause once the Doe seen the Fawn was with her, the Doe did a 'head up' proud prance.

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800 still young at 108,900 miles

Postby AZgl1800 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:03 am

Just today riding into Owasso, OK to get some bike parts, a dog ran across the highway in front of me.

The first time I have needed my horns "for real" and that set of air horns got the dog's attention....
problem was, he stopped and looked to see where the noise came from, realized a big yellow bullet was heading at him, and dove away from me.

Catch 22 on horns, sometimes they help, other times, they are like magnets.
John
'02 Gl1800 Hot Rod Yellow,
daughter named her Big Bird :lol:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com

T=Trouble
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing Aspencade 1500

Postby T=Trouble » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:41 am

A doe already ran right into me, and we are just in pre-rut. She came up out of a creek bed and I was on a 2-lane highway with no shoulders. No chance to avoid the collision. Thankfully I was in the car due to forecasted thunderstorms that day. Per deer biologists, the deer population is higher this year due to rebound in deer populations from EHD, a viral disease that hit the Kansas and other areas hard in 2012. In Kansas your chance of hitting a deer in the next 12-months is 1 in 125 (national average is 1 in 169). I am a big one for ATGATT, All The Gear All The Time, as discussed in this month's newsletter. Some tips that may help can be found at http://www.smarter-usa.org/rider-skills/deer-tips/.
Trouble

When God made the first biker he mixed the following ingredients:
Motorcycle
Code
Respect
Guts
Honor
Love of Family

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:44 pm

Looked to me like he saw the deer & thought they were going to continue from left to right. Of course, one of them doubled back - in my experience, if there's something a deer can do that's unexpected & seemingly suicidal, it will. The best practice IMHO is, if you see a deer (even just standing on the side of the road) is to slow down as much as possible, as quickly as you safely can, and going around it at walking speed. Giving it a good blast of the horn as you pass it seems to help - it may make it leery of the paved area in future, which is good for the next rider that comes along.

I wasn't as lucky as the guy in the video. I was riding a country road without shoulders of any kind (dense brush, right to the edge of the pavement and overhanging it), and a deer burst out of the brush, about 2' over the road. It was being chased by dogs, and was trying to leap over the road. Caught me right across the chest. Over 30 bones broken, and a wide selection of other injuries. I killed the buck with my chest - not a good way to hunt!!

As for the gloves, I totally agree. I always wear armored gloves (Joe Rocket are my favorite), or armored gauntlets when it's cooler. It's surprising how fragile hands are when they meet pavement...

Chickenlegs
Motorcycle: 97 a

Postby Chickenlegs » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:55 pm

I studied this video about 10 time's, looks like he's doing just a little under 55mph, you can see the brake lever in the side view mirror disappear with just a very slight delay after the 5 deer start to appear. We all have our mental process time, decision time, and then physical reaction time, some of us are faster or slower then others, some of us pay more attention then others, some of us "cover" the brakes more then others. My observation is that the rider did good ! (not great), yes if he had his brakes "covered" and squeezed harder that would have been better, maybe just a little chirp from the back tire then you would know he's pressing hard (not a full out skid). What you should NOT do is "slam" on the brakes AND try to turn or swerve, you will go down for sure without hitting anything. Keep that bike straight and upright, that's emergency breaking 101. 5 deer, one makes it to the other side, one falls down and struggles to get back up, 2 are making there way, and the last one makes a quick U-turn, the road is now FULL of danger and your part of it... with your 850 lb. Gold Wing doing 55mph. That's a lot to process in 2 seconds. Lets study this kind of stuff and learn from it. Thank GOD the man is OK.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”