Absense

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
MJSantos
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Absense

Postby MJSantos » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:52 pm

It's about time I came in from the cold. Life got in the way so it's time to get back. Many of you remember awhile ago I was customizing the GL1100, aka the White Bike. Finally started back on it after letting it sit. The wife had swapped a mattress set for a Shadow 750. Well the short of the long she now has her license after taking the Safety Course and is off a running. She is no longer a passenger and will refuse to be one. Of course there was some rough learning steps so last winter we redid the paint and ironed out some dents. The bike is now an Autism Awareness theme. Our Granddaughter has the condition. If fact this month there's a meet at the Gettysburg Battlefield Harley and she has been asked to bring it. Here's what it looks like now. We did a Chrysler Blue Pearl with a flex clear coat. Once this one was completed I started backup on her White Bike. The original engine couldn't be saved from the water damage but I ran across a 1980 engine on EBay. Took a chance with it. R &B Cycle Salvage in Richmond, Va. had it listed. There was a You Tube video of the bike with the engine running prior to breakdown. Drove down and these folks are great took us on a tour of their operation and got to see how all of the parts are stored. Even had the chance to run trough the Goldwing isle. The only other thing I was looking for were running boards. The guys said lets go out back they had just got an 83 Aspy in. They even pleaded with me to buy the whole bike for $400 just so that they didn't have too tear it down, After the first one they didn't realized how many parts were on one of these. I tough about it then turned it down Just don't have the room. Anyway the new engine was clean. Got it home and pulled the oil sump, spotless! Whoever had the bike took very good care of it. Swapped all of the new parts from the other engine, belts, timing pulleys, did the Toyota conversion, cabs etc. The only difference in this swap was the wiring for the neutral safety switch. The 83 has a two wire setup, neutral and overdrive. The 80 was neutral only so setup for only the neutral. Have no choice sense the circuit is also part of your starter solenoid circuit. A few cranks to fill the carbs with gas a she fired up with no smoke. Sounds great with the Harley mufflers. The entire braking system has been rebuilt. Thanks to our forum leader Parts N More has done me right. everything has been delivered without any errors and everything fits. All of the lights have been replaced with LED. The 7 inch head came from Parts N More but the bulbs and light bar with the Angel Eye lights was ordered from overseas. Sorry to say but some of our American dealers charge us a lot more. It's sad but the LED headlight bulb sells here for around $65 each. They didn't even change the picture. Found them on Ali Express for $15 with free shipping. The light bar was $67 complete. Just get a prepaid Visa and go for it. When you buy the funds stay in a general account and the supplier isn't paid until you confirm receipt and the order is correct. Once I hooked up all of the lights I did some current checks and the bike has less of a draw than the standard headlight bulb. Hopefully in a few months I'll be done. Still have some body work to complete and need to get the wide whitewall tires, grips and mirrors. Enough for now I'll keep you posted as I finish.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Absense

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:32 am

Welcome back! What did you do to color the seat white? Does it crack through and show the black at all?

MJSantos
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Re: Absense

Postby MJSantos » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:49 am

We used the vinyl color from ColorRite. Not sure how well it's going to hold up to wear. We also picked up a saddle seat and bolster at a swap meet so I'll be working on getting these to fit. They'll get redone. This is more of an experiement.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”