The Austone conversion

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
bodasefus
Motorcycle: 1990 Honda Goldwing GL1500

The Austone conversion

Postby bodasefus » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:46 am

I just converted to the Austone Taxi tire and I love it... A little tight to install and remember to put the little rubber flap that protects the electrics from water and stuff... I let it flap and the air pressure caused the flap to rub on the tire making a loud rubbing noise... Fixed that and reinstalled the tire...
The ride is super and will like the mileage I will get out of the tire... The tire was a bit spendy (170 delivered ) but it should outlast 3 or 4 Dunlaps... I am going to be going to the NASSIR 8 rally for Goldwings, leaving SW Florida on Sunday for Edgefield SC and should be a good break in ride...

Bodasefus

Don't take life to seriously,,,
No one gets out alive

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Re: The Austone conversion

Postby FM-USA » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:29 pm

WELCOME TO THE DARKSIDE LUK... i mean Bo"

My Austone is nearing its end-of-life. Current miles on it, about 60K and mmm-maybe 10-15K more.

I dug a little deeper in that tires actual cost. Found mine was made in china and they sell those tires for $35.00 USD each. Only problem is you need to order many 'X' to get that price.
So $152.00 (plus ship) is a bit of... :evil:

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:44 am

I think that's the single best improvement you can make to the GL1500. I'm over 22K miles and not even half worn. The ride improved-I didn't think it was possible- and I love the way it easily handles the wet. Play with the pressures to find what you like best, and enjoy it for a couple of years-it will be that long before you need another!

bodasefus

Postby bodasefus » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:01 pm

minimac -- I was wondering what kind of pressure you are running in both tires and also the air shock???
I have no idea how to check the air pres in the front shocks...
Bodasefus

No one gets out alive

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:00 pm

I like to keep the rear shocks between 40-45# and the tire works best for me@ 46-48#. I run 4# in the front shocks and 38-40# in the Bridgestone Excedra Max radial I run on the front. I also balance the tires using some balancing beads, approx. 2 0z. front and 3 oz. rear. You may have to adjust the pressures to suit yourself, but that should put you in the ballpark.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:05 pm

for me it was 48psi in the Austone tire, 41 psi in the front Avon. Beads front and rear as well. Rear shocks were near max (I like it firm) and 0 psi in the front forks with Progressive Suspension springs. Max air pressure for the front forks is 6psi. do not use a compressor to inflate the forks, a hand bicycle pump may even be a bit too much. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

bodasefus

Postby bodasefus » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:18 am

Just a final on the Austone tire install...

When I got back from my trip,,, I had bearing noise and some rubbing noise... I ordered some rear bearings and unbolted the rear light bar and trailer hitch... a few more bolts and the rear end was able to lift up... Removed the rear tire... there were rub marks on the inside liner and used a heat gun to stretch the liner at the wear point on each side... I gained about a half inch on each side...

I got the rear wheel bearings out and installed new ones... the old ones were shot...
with the new bearings installed and the extra space on the inner fender liner,,, I took Scoot for a ride...
No more rubbing and bearings were running quiet,,, doing their job... I have ordered the socket for the steering head bearing removal and new bearings and race... I will get that job done later...

Bodasefus

No one gets out alive

Return to “Goldwing Chat”