WHO HAS EVER DUMPED THEIR WING?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
rockford75
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

WHO HAS EVER DUMPED THEIR WING?

Postby rockford75 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:45 pm

Ok Guys !

Iam curious who here has ever dropped there wing? I know I have twice since I got the bike and Ive had it 7 years. So tell me what happened? with me the first was i was on a side road and came up on a T intersection and the road on the T was a hill. tryed turning around to go back from where i came and lost it lol... Strike 1! the last was just last week. My drive way is uneven. the pavement in the alley is lower then my driveway. went to turn into my drive way when a cat crossed my path. had to stop and with the alley way lower then my drive way dumped tyhe bike. Bummer but again no damage to my bike! Hondas are the best!!!

A BIKE IS LIKE A AIRPLANE Maintenance Maintenance!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: WHO HAS EVER DUMPED THEIR WING?

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:32 pm

I think you should call this thread; "who has ever NOT dumped their wing?" :)

My GL1500 has not yet taken a nap.

However, back in 2008 on my GL1100, after taking my daughter on the Teddy Bear Run many years back, we stopped for lunch at Denny's. After lunch, as I was about to back out of my parking spot, a guy came up to me and asked about my bike. I talked to him for a minute or so, then he asked about the lights I had in front. I leaned the bike back onto the kickstand so that I could get off and show him...except I forgot that I had already retracted the kickstand. I realized this too late, and the bike was past the point of no return. I indelicately hopped off as the bike went over, breaking the plastic screw on one of my air wings in the process ($2 to fix). The bike ended up at a 45 degree angle, with my daughter still clinging on for dear life onto the back seat!

The little 8-year-old girl on the back of the bike in this picture is now a 16 year old teenager. :)

Giving thumbs up after the Teddy Bear Run
Giving thumbs up after the Teddy Bear Run

kwild
Motorcycle: 84 Standard
85 Aspencade

Postby kwild » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:42 am

Got a little too froggy a few weeks ago and ended upside down. Thankfully the poison oak broke my fall. Thankfully again I always wear full protection. Took five of us to get her upright and up to the road. Amazingly it only bent the left mirror, I was expecting many more broken parts.
She was upside down for about 15 min. before we got it back on the road. Gave it a good >once over<, went full throttle and hit the starter. 10 seconds on the starter and she fired up. First comment was "well thats a Honda". Finished the last two days of our trip without incident. Got home and repaired the mirror bracket and it looks like it never went down.
Attachments
84 Standard
85 Aspencade

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

rockford75

Postby rockford75 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:42 am

WingAdmin wrote:I think you should call this thread; "who has ever NOT dumped their wing?" :)

My GL1500 has not yet taken a nap.

However, back in 2008 on my GL1100, after taking my daughter on the Teddy Bear Run many years back, we stopped for lunch at Denny's. After lunch, as I was about to back out of my parking spot, a guy came up to me and asked about my bike. I talked to him for a minute or so, then he asked about the lights I had in front. I leaned the bike back onto the kickstand so that I could get off and show him...except I forgot that I had already retracted the kickstand. I realized this too late, and the bike was past the point of no return. I indelicately hopped off as the bike went over, breaking the plastic screw on one of my air wings in the process ($2 to fix). The bike ended up at a 45 degree angle, with my daughter still clinging on for dear life onto the back seat!

The little 8-year-old girl on the back of the bike in this picture is now a 16 year old teenager. :)

Scott and Lilly at the stoplight, Lilly gives thumbs up.jpg

Cool story. No ones immune to dumping a bike thats for sure.

rockford75

Postby rockford75 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:43 am

kwild wrote:Got a little too froggy a few weeks ago and ended upside down. Thankfully the poison oak broke my fall. Thankfully again I always wear full protection. Took five of us to get her upright and up to the road. Amazingly it only bent the left mirror, I was expecting many more broken parts.
She was upside down for about 15 min. before we got it back on the road. Gave it a good >once over<, went full throttle and hit the starter. 10 seconds on the starter and she fired up. First comment was "well thats a Honda". Finished the last two days of our trip without incident. Got home and repaired the mirror bracket and it looks like it never went down.

How did you end up upside down? WHAT happened?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:42 am

Four times now. Here goes. To start with, I am a short lil **** with only 30" inseam, and as I like to play with twisties, I keep the rear setting on 25 even when all alone on the bike, so that adds somewhere round an inch to the height. First time, I lost my gloves and ran back to get them, forgetting to put the side stand down. Yeah, I know, stoooopid, but there you have it.

Second time, with the wife on, going across a pasture, the front wheel hit a trough and pulled the wheel sideways, and you know it... down we went.

Third time in Lake George NY in a campground where I had to negotiate a hairpin to get into my site. Doing it all week, and after five days, tired, hands wet, I lost it and ended up high siding the bike with the wheels pointed higher than the windshield. It took me two hours to get it back upright as I had to dig under the wheels and put firewood under the underside crash bars to get the bike to where I could lift it.

Fourth time was just a month ago, doing a cone competition, and the engine just quit. This time was on pavement and made the most god-awful grinding sound. However, upon inspection after picking the bike up, there was no damage.

What say - should I trike it? LMFAO
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:27 am

Three times for me. Twice in the first week with the 1500. Just wasn't prepared for balancing the heavy beasty while manually moving it. Once when stopping at a rest area. Parked pointed slightly down kill, kickstand down and she kept rolling. My hands were occupied with removing gloves so I couldn't reach the brake quick enough. Oops... Of course this never happens unless there are at least 15 people watching. No damage except to my ego.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:36 am

It's not a matter of if, but when.
On another forum that I visit, they have a thread for a group called IDMWT (I Dropped My Wing Today).
Members recant their story of mishap and are given a progressive membership number to put in their signature for fun. Perhaps we should start that here as well.

My story:
Hello, my name is NVSB4 (Chris) and I've dropped my Wing before.
I try not to be a habitual dropper, but sometimes things happen.
The last time I dropped, I was at a stop sign and started to turn right.
The car in front of me decided that he was bigger and it would be OK to turn left in front of me.
I had to stop too quickly and over she went.
The worst part was that I was so upset and flustered, when I picked it up I realized that I had forgot to put the side stand down.
So here I was, on the right side of the bike trying to balance it and figure out how to hold it up and mount at the same time.
I managed to do so, but learned several lessons that day.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:49 pm

GL1100 with Vetter bags and bars-the wife and I at a flea market thingie, in first gear, bearly moving making a u-turn to my left while looking over my right shoulder at a parking spot-had on a new pair of boots I wasn't use to-got my left foot caught under the rear crash bar between the bar and the road, I did get my foot loose, but too late....the bar keeps the bike from going completely over, but, it can hurt you too! That bar has touched my foot a couple of times on u-turns ( narrow back roads). I'm thankful there was no traffic coming!....
or no one looking. My wife wasn't vary impressed though....
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

Tepcro
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800

Postby Tepcro » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:15 pm

2 Times in 5 Minutes!!!

While riding in the beautiful White Mountains of AZ I stopped to make a u-turn and go back and see some mountain goats that I just passed, I had to make a u-turn on a 2 lane hiway (no cars coming for a couple miles each way!)
Needless to say, as I started to turn the wife yells out, "NO NOT HERE theres not enough room"...I had started the turn and came to a stop...
When you are 2 up,you better be really big to keep her up!
I was not moving but it went down to 45 degrees, we picked it up and went on down the road.
About 1/2 mile there was a real nice looking asphault pull out.... Guess what I just had to do!?
Go back and see those goats~!
As I turned and came to the side of the road a car was coming so I stopped aand put my foot down on what had to be the only gravel spot around! Yep...Back on it's side
I didn't go back to see the goats!
The Bike never even had a scratch on it!

My wife and I went on our 1st date in 1973 on my 450 Honda and I've never laid 1 down, till this.

Now if I can only get the wife to not be afraid of the bike...or maybe it's me!!!

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:31 pm

Who has not put your wing on its side, 4 times for me in 16 years, all in the process of having to stop suddenly when the front wheel is cocked either way. Gravel is also a contributor to the bike taking a quick nap, again a sudden stop with to much front brake, front tire slid out and we sat down on the crash guards. Once in the garage moving to a better spot and did not have the side stand down completely. No way to hold her up when it is time for a nap. Only broke the left after market foot peg (2 days before a ride to Tunica, MS. found my replacement in Biloxi, MS in a close out shelf at the Honda shop. :D :D

se-wing
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing se

Postby se-wing » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:15 pm

Hello, I'm a newbie from Cadillac Mi. Although not new to motorcycle riding, it's been 30 years since my last bike. About 2 months ago I purchased a 1999 Goldwing SE, my retirement dream. I guess I didn't realize that I wasn't as strong at 60 years old as I was at 30. Needless to say that since I've had it, I've dropped it twice. The first time was pulling out of the previous owners driveway. I think he was sorry he sold it to me, how embarrassing. The second time was about 2 weeks later while practicing in a vacant parking lot while stopped. Fortunately no one saw me except for the fellow that I asked to help me pick it up. No damage to the bike just a badly bruised ego. For the past 6 weeks I haven't had any further issues. I finally figured out DON'T EVER, EVER STOP WHILE RIDING A GOLDWING!!!

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Postby maintainer » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:37 am

I haven't dumped my 1100 but I have came close. The problem for me with the 1100 is the darn interfering engine guards. Sometimes my big feet become briefly entangled with guards on the way down to the roadway or ground. Scary, I've considered modifications to them.

Once I lived in a home on a big hill with a gravel driveway. As my wife and I pulled up to the garage on my 1800, I stopped and put my feet down and immediately slipped on the gravel, boom.
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:07 am

Height and inseam have considerable input into keeping Goldwings upright in certain situations. I had never dropped a motorcycle prior to getting a Goldwing, and was very upset the first time it happened. Anyone who will not admit to dropping their Goldwing has either been very very fortunate, tall enough to keep it from beginning to go over, or has too much ego to admit it. For the rest of us, well - if you are short assed and ride these things, they are bound to occasionally want to rest on their sides. In my lifetime, I have never been strong enough to stop this from happening. They are just too big and heavy. Remarkably light when moving though.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Slim Pickins
Motorcycle: 2000GL 1500SE Goldwing

Postby Slim Pickins » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:47 am

Been There! Done That! With my 94 Kawasaki Voyager II ( 3 times ) 700+ lbs. When stopping ( poor footing ) or slow turning maneuvers. improper use of rpms, clutch and rear brake. Every rider should take an Advanced Rider Safety Course to learn how to handle your bike in different situations. My Goldwing ( 990+lbs. ) has taken a couple of naps. Once when I reversed into a parking spot with a slight down hill grade. I took it out of reverse and put the side stand down. As I was getting off the bike, before my wife, and let go of the front brake lever it rolled off the stand and took a nap. My wife was definitely not impressed. When parking now it is always in 1st gear.
There is always a voice from the back seat now....DON'T DROP IT. Every new situation is a learning experience.... Safe Riding To All.

ram11397
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby ram11397 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:02 am

Well, I had dropped my 1100 3 times in about 2 weeks when I first had it due to me not doing what I knew turning in parking lots looking at the road instead of where I wanted to go lol and I have dropped it 2 more times over the years gravel under my feet both times. differently embarrassing and ego deflating lol
Rick
1982 GL 1100 Aspencade

rockford75

Postby rockford75 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:24 am

:D lol..Great stories fellas gave me some laughs! I feel better knowing Im not the only guy to dump a wing! Good news though its all part of riding.

stan0614
Motorcycle: 2015 Honda GL1800

Postby stan0614 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:29 am

I took a special two hour Ride Like a Pro class last week. Everybody in the first class ( 2 harleys and a wing ) dumped in the first class. In my class several harleys went down multiple times. Since my bike was brand new and I’ve had only two weekends of riding time on it - I was scared ****less. Just moved up from a Suzuki C90. I know it’s just a matter of when but I can say now - I did not drop. I bailed out a couple of times and ran over some cones but did not drop it. The class helped - I had to do a u-turn in the middle of the road a couple of days later. I think the idea of my wife beating me about the head and shoulders with a 2x4 helped keep the bike up.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:44 am

stan0614 wrote:I took a special two hour Ride Like a Pro class last week. .. I know it’s just a matter of when but I can say now - I did not drop. I bailed out a couple of times and ran over some cones but did not drop it. The class helped - I had to do a u-turn in the middle of the road a couple of days later.

I've watched most of Jerry's YouTube videos, but I'm envious that you were actually able to take the class.
It's amazing how someone teaching the right techniques for turning and slow riding can improve your overall riding ability and experience.

Oh, by the way..you will drop your Wing eventually. :D
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

maintainer

Postby maintainer » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:29 am

When you master the skill of counter balancing for slow speed maneuvers, your bike dropping days will be over.

stan0614
Motorcycle: 2015 Honda GL1800

Postby stan0614 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:50 am

Thanks - can you explain counter balancing?

maintainer

Postby maintainer » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:03 pm

Sure, it's the riding technic of leaning opposite of the norm (you know, at higher speed you always lean into the turning direction) but this is for very slow speed maneuver's. By doing this you counteract the bike natural tendency due weight/gravity to fall into the turning direction. Sitting up on top the bike your weight though much less than the bike, will act to lever back in to place so to speak.

Bobsiler
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 A

Postby Bobsiler » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:42 pm

Only dropped my 1500 once.......so far. I know it could be in the future again. First one was two weeks after I bought back in March. Doing a slow speed turn around at home. I park in a dirt/gravel area and went from the uphill side down. I had been going the other direction. Went to put my foot down , slipped a little bit and that was all she wrote. Thank god the guy I bought it from had showed how to pick it up. Handlebar and grab handle, butt in the seat and it popped up with ease. 8000 miles later I'm really impressed with how nimble it really is for its size.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:42 pm

Well we wewre riding along and came upon this road construction after a rain with no warning,

Took us an hour to get the front bike out. and half hour to get the second bike back to where the road was good.

ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Postby ka4yqi » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:13 pm

Yesterday morning as I turn into the parking spot at work, I hit the off switch on the right handlebar and she went to sleep thus laying down on me on her right side. I stood her up and forgot to put the side stand down, but manage to get back on. I cut it off and back on, hit the starter and she no fired. Cut the switch off and on again, still no fire as she turned over. This is when I look at the handle bar switch, then I knew what happen. When the guys asked what happen, I said she was tired and went to sleep. :D

Return to “Goldwing Chat”