9/11/01 - Where were you?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

9/11/01 - Where were you?

Postby NVSB4 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:23 am

On this 14th anniversary of the worst terrorist attack on our soil, many are reflecting on events from that day and remembering the fallen and brave heros that helped.
As with every major tragedy, others sometimes ask "where were you" or "what were you doing".

To start this, here is my account.
Although I live in Dallas Fort Worth, I was working on a project for AT&T building a new cell phone data center in New Jersey just across the Hudson from Manhattan.
That morning, we got a call from a coworker that was running later than the rest of us saying that a plane had hit a tower in the city. The 6 story building that we were in had no windows, so we first went on CNN.com to see what was going on. When we saw the story confirmation, we all went up to the roof to get a better view. Even at about 10 miles away, we could still see quite a bit. Someone had a pair of binoculars in their car, so we also passed them around to help. While watching, we couldn't believe that there was another plane heading into the area and were speechless when we saw it hit as well. I remember everyone just stood there with their mouths open.
Within 15 minutes, the FBI arrived at the building and rushed all of us out and sent us home. By that time they knew that it was no accident. Half of my building supported a majority of the cell service for Manhattan and the other half the land line coverage. The FBI figured that it could be a target that could wipe out communications, so they surrounded it with concrete barriers and bulldozers.
The rest of that day we spent huddled in someones hotel room watching the news, like everyone, trying to figure out what was going on.
We weren't able to go back to the building for three weeks, nor able to find any way back home to be with our families.

Almost everything tightened up right after Sept 11, 2001, and while after 14 years many things have slacked off some, they will never be the same as before.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Re: 9/11/01 - Where were you?

Postby detdrbuzzard » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:59 pm

I was working the afternoon shift and didn't get off work sept 11th until about 4am. I was home sleeping when a friend called and told me that a plane crashed into the world trade center so I turned the tv on. while still talking and watching tv the second plane struck the other tower. I had heard nothing from my job so I reported to work at 15:00 and none of the bosses knew if it was ok to send us home
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

ankgrays
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 interstate

Postby ankgrays » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:26 pm

I was 40 years old, going through ILEA...the LE academy here in Iowa.

ILEA is on the Iowa Army National Guard base in Johnston, Iowa.

A staff admin. came in and interrupted one of our classes to tell us what had happened. Kinda put us all in a state of disbelief.

This was about 4 weeks into a 13 week academy. 3 of our classmates got calls from the military recalling them IMMEDIATELY!!

One of my room mates was a k9 handler that used to sweep Air Force One and other high profile aircraft.

The military base was short staffed and needed to call up the MP's from another part of the state, then get them activated, assembled

and then transported to our base. The base command staff asked the ILEA staff if they could use us as base security until the MP"s got there.

We were all issued shotguns (as we had not gone through the patrol rifle training phase yet) and placed on all of the base gates along with base security.

I was placed on one of the gates on the back of the base, off of a dirt road, surrounded by corn fields.

The only thing I got to fight were about 10 bajillion mosquitos.

Still a scary time in our lives.

A VERY sad day. :(
I don't tolerate voluntary stupidity very well, and it seems to be rampant now-a-days.

"One of the problems about quotes from the internet, is that one cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:39 pm

If I told you once, I have told you a Bajillion times, don't exaggerate :!: 8-)
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

ankgrays
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 interstate

Postby ankgrays » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:47 am

Well...you're right. Maybe a little overboard on the number of mosquitoes.

But...the TOTAL number was correct...About 1/3 mosquitoes, 1/3 flies and, 1/3 gnats.

Now if there had been any snakes, I probably would NOT have stayed there!!

:lol:
I don't tolerate voluntary stupidity very well, and it seems to be rampant now-a-days.

"One of the problems about quotes from the internet, is that one cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:08 am

I retired the previous January and was starting a new job that September. I was teaching, or trying to, in a tech center. Our classes all had telephones and I received a call from my wife telling me what had happened with the first plane. I immediately turned on the class TV to the news and my class proceeded to watch and see the second plane hit.

About that time a teacher came in the back and told me to shut off the TV. The principal had decided that no one should watch. I kept the TV on and about 15 minutes later the principal showed up and I gave him some story about how it all tied in with our subject matter. He bought my BS and my class continued to watch.

Needless to say it was the topic of discussion for several days thereafter. I even had them write a paper about what they thought of the day. Then I had each of them put the paper in an envelop which I returned to them at the end of the school year. I never read any of their papers but did give everyone a A for completing them.

It was really weird for me as a retired LEO to be out of the loop and not involved in our local response. I had many guilt feelings about that but have adjusted to being just a citizen.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:08 am

I was at work, at an airport with long runways. When they shut down aviation for North America, we got 39 airliners that were either headed over the poles or coming from over the poles. It was an interesting time. We do not have customs at this airport, so none of the passengers could leave the airport. The city pitched in and set up a disaster preparedness unit right on the parking apron, but we still fell far short of luxurious. I watched the disaster on the office television, and thought it was a mock up, till I learned it wasn't. The airplanes were parked on alternate runways and parking aprons all over the place. It took them a week to sort it all out afterwards.

And in the mean time, the trade towers, and all the people who tried to help and died. We remember them.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:59 am

themainviking wrote:I was at work, at an airport with long runways. When they shut down aviation for North America, we got 39 airliners that were either headed over the poles or coming from over the poles. It was an interesting time. We do not have customs at this airport, so none of the passengers could leave the airport. The city pitched in and set up a disaster preparedness unit right on the parking apron, but we still fell far short of luxurious. I watched the disaster on the office television, and thought it was a mock up, till I learned it wasn't. The airplanes were parked on alternate runways and parking aprons all over the place. It took them a week to sort it all out afterwards.

And in the mean time, the trade towers, and all the people who tried to help and died. We remember them.

Many Canadian airports ended up the same way, in the same situation.

This was Gander, Newfoundland:

This was Halifax:

I was sitting at my desk in Canada, watching the events unfold over the Internet until the Internet basically folded under the weight of traffic, and I went home.

My brother was not so lucky. He was in Washington DC on a business trip, in a hotel very near to the Pentagon. The FBI or Secret Service (I don't remember which) came in and took over the hotel, booting out all of the people staying there. He had no way to get home to Canada as the airports were shut, and now he had no place to stay. He went to a rental car place and tried to rent a car to drive home, but they told him that they had been told that they were not to allow any rental cars to leave the local area. So he told them that he wanted to rent a car to drive to Baltimore, which they allowed. He then drove the car home to Canada, and after a long delay at the border, got home.

He returned the car at the airport in Toronto, and there was no problem with it.

bsavulis
Motorcycle: 1999 GL 1500 Aspencade

Postby bsavulis » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:27 am

I was returning from vacation with the wife, riding our then new Voyager 1200. We were on I-76 just passing South of Shanksville about that time. There was not one car or plane to be seen. We pulled over at a truck stop nearby and got the news. We were due to travel to NYC for a couple days and then on into CT. When we got to the PA NJ area the State Police suggested we route through upstate NY to Albany, to Mass. and back into CT. There were so few cars on the road, very scary. I have been to the memorial site a few times, I remember the area from the years before and to see it now. All those people, families, my heart breaks.

KennyPete
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby KennyPete » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:32 am

Climbing out of LGA enroute to SYR approximately 3500 feet above the Tappanzee Bridge (~35 mi west of White Plains , NY). Flying a DHC-8 for Allegheny Airlines. We were the last aircraft to depart LGA that morning. Spent the next 4 days in a hotel in SYR trying to figure out how to get home.
KennyPete

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:02 am

Wow, that really was a close encounter.
I can't imagine what must have been running through your mind at the time.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:09 pm

i was home at my moms house, and while upstairs in her bedroom looking for something, i just happened to be looking out of the bedroom window, which faces northeast and i could see the twin towers from the window when suddenly i saw a fireball which was the first plane hitting the one tower. i ran downstairs and turned on the TV and saw it live. i left the TV on and ran back upstairs to the bedroom and was looking at the flames and smoke when suddenly the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower. i was in shock, i couldn't believe what i was seeing. i just froze watching as all this fire and smoke that was coming out of the tower's windows. i stood there and i was able to hear what was going on from the television and seeing the towers burning. i ran into MY bedroom to grab my binoculars so i could zoom in to the towers. i saw debris falling from the windows and what i thought to be a person falling out of an upper window. as i was watching, the next thing i saw was the first tower go down. that's when i stopped watching. i went back downstairs to watch it on the television. as soon as the 2nd tower started falling i lost all TV reception, and the rest was history.

very sad day for the United States of America other than Pearl Harbor.

stuart.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”