Trailer Comparison

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
jgbushong
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500I

Trailer Comparison

Postby jgbushong » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:27 am

I rode a GL1500 for over twenty years, and I pulled a Cyclemate trailer. I am in the process of buying a GL 1800 and a new trailer. I am considering California Sidecar and Bushtec trailers. I would appreciate any thoughts you have about either or both brands including:

• The quality of the trailers
• How they tow
• Required maintenance and difficulty of maintenance
• Tire wear
• Manufacturer’s support after the purchase
• Accessories you find useful and those that are not useful

Thank you for your comments.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Trailer Comparison

Postby harvey01 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:42 am

I have a 2004 Bushtec Turbo that I have towed for probably 80,000 miles with my Wing. I have had no problems with the trailer and have found it very easy to tow. Most of the time I forget it is there. Tows great in the twisties.

Customer service---when I bought my trailer the business was still family owned and operated. I really had no need for customer service for several years. By the time I did need help with a problem they had changed hands but the service was excellent. I have found if you call or email them, you will get assistance. The new owners have really improved the website and made it easier to order stuff online.

Others have not had the same luck with customer service.

I would recommend that you also look at the Tailwind trailer if you plan to do a lot of touring. It is a lot more expensive but does have some advantages. But it is out of my financial world.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

wsunate
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby wsunate » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:51 pm

I bought a used California Sidecar towing with my GL1500. Well finished inside. Very large inside and without major protrusions to get in the way of packing. Spare tire stowed is great. I like having standardly available tires that are easy to replace anywhere. Tows amazing. Only time I know it's there is when I'm stopping! I like the air suspension.
No problems that I've had to contact the manufacturer.

punch7
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Postby punch7 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:29 pm

Unread postby wsunate » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:51 pm

"...I bought a used California Sidecar towing with my GL1500. Well finished inside. Very large inside and without major protrusions to get in the way of packing. Spare tire stowed is great. I like having standardly available tires that are easy to replace anywhere. Tows amazing. Only time I know it's there is when I'm stopping! I like the air suspension.
No problems that I've had to contact the manufacturer..."
Read more: viewtopic.php?t=29878#ixzz3mslej5cf

+1 for the Escapade. No worry about their tires. Yo can get them almost anywhere on the road if you need one.

Return to “Camping and Trailers”