Rudy's Panel Keepers


Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Gmann07
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:21 am
Location: Seven Hills, OH
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Rudy's Panel Keepers

Postby Gmann07 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:31 am



This is just an FYI
Was on a trip to the blue ridge over labor day, on way home lost right side cover, somewhere from Charlston to Parkersburg WV, I had the Rudy's Panel Keepers on for 3yrs, the clips didn't hold, found a new side cover, and with the cost of that and new grommets from cycle max it was about $250
I put new panel keepers on but now have zip ties on top of the clips on them



User avatar
NVSB4
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:39 pm
Location: Arlington, Texas
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: Rudy's Panel Keepers

Postby NVSB4 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:14 am

Gmann07 wrote:This is just an FYI
Was on a trip to the blue ridge over labor day, on way home lost right side cover, somewhere from Charlston to Parkersburg WV, I had the Rudy's Panel Keepers on for 3yrs, the clips didn't hold, found a new side cover, and with the cost of that and new grommets from cycle max it was about $250
I put new panel keepers on but now have zip ties on top of the clips on them

Probably a good idea for extra protection, but I've never heard of anyone losing a panel with keepers installed.
So it was the little three prong connector between the straps that came loose?
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Image

Image
Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Gmann07
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:21 am
Location: Seven Hills, OH
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Re: Rudy's Panel Keepers

Postby Gmann07 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:00 am

Yes, it was the little 3prong plastic connector that did not hold, the one still on bike pulled apart easily, so if you have them check them or just use a 2cent zip tie as insurance, it will save you a lot of $$$

User avatar
ram11397
Posts: 333
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 9:58 pm
Location: Westerly, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Rudy's Panel Keepers

Postby ram11397 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:13 pm

My plastic connectors worn out, i got these from Amazon in stead of buying new keepers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IG9 ... ge_o01_s00
Rick
1982 GL 1100 Aspencade

User avatar
NVSB4
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:39 pm
Location: Arlington, Texas
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: Rudy's Panel Keepers

Postby NVSB4 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:27 pm

ram11397 wrote:My plastic connectors worn out, i got these from Amazon in stead of buying new keepers.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IG9 ... ge_o01_s00

That's a great idea instead of having to buy the whole thing.
What would make the connectors wear out, unless you undid them often?
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Image

Image
Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

User avatar
spiralout
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:41 pm
Location: Alabama
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Re: Rudy's Panel Keepers

Postby spiralout » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:02 pm

ram11397 wrote:My plastic connectors worn out, i got these from Amazon in stead of buying new keepers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IG9 ... ge_o01_s00

NVSB4 wrote:
ram11397 wrote:My plastic connectors worn out, i got these from Amazon in stead of buying new keepers.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IG9 ... ge_o01_s00

That's a great idea instead of having to buy the whole thing.
What would make the connectors wear out, unless you undid them often?

That's a horrible price from that seller. I make and wear paracord bracelets, belts, key fobs, lanyards and use quick release buckles a lot. That seller is marking them up into the many 1000's of %. I get 100 count of up to 1" buckles for 5 bucks, shipped. As far as wearing them out, I'm constantly opening and closing the ones on my bracelets and and have never had one get so loose it'd pull out, even the little 3/8" ones.

User avatar
ram11397
Posts: 333
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 9:58 pm
Location: Westerly, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Rudy's Panel Keepers

Postby ram11397 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:58 pm

Mine stopped working the clips wouldn't hold closed, eventually the clips broke off so that's why i needed new ones to me the price was reasonable so i got them unfortunately nobody helped me when i ASKED on this forum for ideas where i could get them only person to response was wingadmin. Like always after the fact people come up with oh i could of got that for ........................... lol

Rick
Rick
1982 GL 1100 Aspencade

User avatar
spiralout
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:41 pm
Location: Alabama
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Re: Rudy's Panel Keepers

Postby spiralout » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:19 pm

ram11397 wrote:Mine stopped working the clips wouldn't hold closed, eventually the clips broke off so that's why i needed new ones to me the price was reasonable so i got them unfortunately nobody helped me when i ASKED on this forum for ideas where i could get them only person to response was wingadmin. Like always after the fact people come up with oh i could of got that for ........................... lol

Rick

Sorry man, I see you asked in the 1100 how to's back in June. If I'd seen it then, I'd have tried to keep ya from getting ripped off :(

Seeing as some here have had problems with the clips coming loose and I've never had one that did, I wonder if it's the heat from being on a bike that's causing the deterioration...

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Rudy's Panel Keepers

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:09 pm

spiralout wrote:
ram11397 wrote:Mine stopped working the clips wouldn't hold closed, eventually the clips broke off so that's why i needed new ones to me the price was reasonable so i got them unfortunately nobody helped me when i ASKED on this forum for ideas where i could get them only person to response was wingadmin. Like always after the fact people come up with oh i could of got that for ........................... lol

Rick

Sorry man, I see you asked in the 1100 how to's back in June. If I'd seen it then, I'd have tried to keep ya from getting ripped off :(

Seeing as some here have had problems with the clips coming loose and I've never had one that did, I wonder if it's the heat from being on a bike that's causing the deterioration...


I was just about to say this. I noticed the "springiness" of my clips is decreasing, and was thinking that they are nearing time for replacement. I'm sure it's heat that is causing the premature deterioration of the clip plastic.




Return to “Goldwing Chat”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: themainviking and 3 guests