Bike has been in the shop for 3 weeks.

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Ken Styles
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing Intersate

Bike has been in the shop for 3 weeks.

Postby Ken Styles » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:30 pm

Hey all,
My drive shaft of my 1986 interstate was leaking from both the front and the rear by the final drive.

Took it to the mechanic.... a few days he calls to tell me all of the seals/gaskets involved will be 350 . plus another 450 in labor. That was on September 7th.
I called yesterday and he said he's still waiting on the parts from Honda.

Does this sound typical?

Wait time and prices?

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: Bike has been in the shop for 3 weeks.

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:14 pm

Sounds a bit high - how much an hour for labour - In Australia the rate is about $80 per hour. So that would equate to 4-5 hours work - lot of time to replace some seals. Not sure on what seals cost - but again seems high.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:08 pm

I have thought for some time that the customer should be able to charge the repair facility for the time the vehicle sits in there shop with not action.

My first question would be what parts are taking so long? He should be able to tell you which parts are not coming. Normal turn around on parts with Honda is 3-5 days to the dealer. You can go to any online seller of Honda parts, bike bandit, partzilla, Honda Direct line or whatever and look the part up yourself and then check for availablility. Due to the age of your bike the parts may not be available from Honda and you will have to go a different route.

As stated above the deal looks like 4 to 5 hours labor. The labor rate is probably posted near the service manager. $80 to 100 an hour is not unusual today in a Honda dealership. Now a non-dealer will usually have lower rates and that could have something to do with the slow parts arrival.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Postby maintainer » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:41 am

I realize not every rider is capable or willing to repair and maintain their own bike. With shop rates in the triple digits and them doing just enough work to keep your bike hostage while they wait on parts I could imagine the frustration. The only work I don't do is tires, don't have tire changing equipment or room for it. I am a repairman by trade and very mechanically inclined so it just come natural to me and I enjoy it almost as much as riding. Sorry for your vulnerability to repair shop expenses and schedules, it must be very annoying and costly.
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:10 am

I'm amazed parts for an 86 are available at all!!!!
Dealers are at the mercy of their parts suppliers! I would not expect parts of this vintage to be in stock. Expect these seals would be made on an as needed order. May be a while to get.
BTW, what is there in a drive shaft to leak????
Me thinks the output seals from the tranny and from the rear end are the culprits. Pretty involved to replace!
Seems high for the cost of the seals. Labor price probably pretty close!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”