ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE BEWARE

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE BEWARE

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:29 am

I have Liberty Mutual insurance..I had a break down adn called ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE..and found out they only cover the first $50 and the tow truck wanted $350 to get me home..50 miles. so I got a ride home got a trailer and did it myself..I'll be looking for a new/better road side assistance program..anyone know of a good one.

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE BEWARE

Postby dingdong » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:14 am

I'm currently in the process of researching roadside assistance programs. Good Sams Club looks to be the best and more than likely will be my next provider when my current one has expired. Have a look.
http://www.goodsamclub.com/services/roadside.aspx
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:37 am

A membership in the GWRRA can include, for a very reasonable cost, Rescue Plus. I have never had to use it, but the descriptions are very good.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:35 am

themainviking wrote:A membership in the GWRRA can include, for a very reasonable cost, Rescue Plus. I have never had to use it, but the descriptions are very good.

The "free" rescue program that comes with a GWRRA membership covers up to 35 miles.
The other day I received an email saying that they had revised the Rescue Plus program.
You can now choose different packages. Motorcycle Plus for just your bike that includes up to 100 miles for $12 year, Rescue Plus for bike and auto for $35 year and Rescue Plus Premium for bike, auto, trailers & RV.

After RB's post, I checked on my regular auto policy to see what it covered.
It's $10 month and shows covering up to 15 miles.
Looks like I'll be be going to Rescue Plus very soon.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

brschillinger
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Royal Enfield Bullet

Postby brschillinger » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:38 am

Adding Rescue Plus to the Rescue Standard that is included with GWRRA membership is about $25.00. I have had to use it and was very satisfied with the service. I believe Rescue Standard covers 35 miles, so for the additional $25 I feel it is worth the added coverage. Rescue Plus covers up to 100 miles and includes a trailer if you are pulling one. I had a trailer and they sent a roll-on so that the Goldwing and trailer could be transported. They also cover automobiles. My AAA policy does not cover motorcycles, so for my $80.00 (GWRRA family membership + Rescue Plus) I feel it is worth it. Others may have different experiences.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:53 am

$350 for 50 miles :lol:
You need a different "tow" service, besides a different insurance company.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:46 am

I have roadside assistance as part of my coverage with Nationwide. I have used it before to get my truck towed home from work after it blew a spark plug out of the head (that was a flatbed truck, as it was an AWD truck).

I actually called them two days ago when my bike died on the side of the road on my way home from work. I had left work, and not even a mile down the road my bike just quit as if I had shut it off. I coasted to the side of the road and started testing things - ignition, checked all the fuses. I had power, but the starter would not crank, and the engine wouldn't fire.

I called roadside assistance and started the process of getting a flatbed truck to get my bike home...but partway through the call, I looked down and red-faced, had to admit to the person that I no longer needed the tow truck: now that I flicked the engine kill switch back on, the bike was starting just fine. :oops:

Never done that before...I guess that's my first. Even my wife said, "are you kidding me? That's the FIRST thing I would have checked!"

I almost never use that stupid switch, so it never entered my head....

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:22 am

themainviking wrote:A membership in the GWRRA can include, for a very reasonable cost, Rescue Plus. I have never had to use it, but the descriptions are very good.

There was quite a rant on one of the other forums about this.Might be worth a read for the OP if he can find it.Don't want to post a link to another forum.Didn't read the whole thread ,but he was not happy and definitely not renewing his.I almost went from CAA(my membership does cover my bike) to the GWRRA Rescue Plus this summer because the CAA membership had gone up quite a bit over the last couple of years.In the end I stayed with CAA,partially because of my SIL'S old Ford truck needing towed a couple of times a year.My 97 GMC (with 455 k on it) got towed a few times itself.I did remedy that problem a month ago by buying a new Dodge Ram Hemi.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:38 am

There are a number of Roadside assistance programs available. Some come through various clubs or organizations, some from insurance companies, and some are set up for specific use.

The American Motorcyclist Association offers its roadside assistance free with a membership registration.

GWRRA has it basic program and then offers its Rescue Plus program at an additional cost which does offer more mileage for towing. (the OP in that discussion on another website also failed to follow the rules laid out by Rescue Plus prior to the tow) Every plan has its unique way of forcing your to act in a certain manner.

Good Sam which is known for RV's also has a tow package that will include motorcycling.

Honda has a Roadside assistance plan that most Honda dealers will sell.

Motorcycle Towing Service is a little different. Roadside Assistance is it's primary function. It offers several plans and you can select which one best fits your needs and wants.

AAA does tow motorcycles but you have to have the top of the line plan, and since AAA is not a unified company across the country different areas do have different rules with different outcomes.

All of these plans have their rules, exceptions, and loop holes. Most plans offer towing for different distances. Some don't include towing your trailer if hooked to the motorcycle. Some plans will cover any motorcycle you are riding and some are limited to a bike that is only 10 years old. I would urge anyone in the market to check out several plans and look at the small print and exclusions in each plan to see what will work best for them. These plans are set up on the concept of making money so you really have to be careful what you are paying for and that it will meet your needs.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:54 pm

I had Geico Insurance, a few years ago my alternator went out and I did not know it (had no volt meter) (have one now) I was on way home from work (50 miles) hit the brake and the bike died dead in the middle of the road, battery completey dead, Call Geico they sent flat bed tow truck and it cost me nothing. he dropped me and the bike off at my garage at home. :D :D

mweddy@gmail.com
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A, 2013 Honda CRF250L, 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500FI, 2000 Kawasaki Ninja, 2000 Honda XR400, 1985 Honda XL350, 1997 XR200, 1983 XR200, 2003 XR80, 2003 Honda XR70, 2000 Honda XR50

Postby mweddy@gmail.com » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:16 pm

I've has some sort of roadside assistance coverage for as long as I can remember. (more than 20 years, maybe longer). I had to use it for the first time two days ago. I had a tire failure about a mile from work, got to work, and decided to give Progressive a call. One of the options when you call is roadside assistance. I was transferred immediately, and after I gave the agent my policy information and the address where I was and my address at home, (45 miles total, 15 miles of twisty narrow mountain roads), I was told that they would cover the tow. So, this being my only experience, I can say it was a good one.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:05 pm

Gwrra membership with the road side ass't I have used it 2 different times and very satisfied. First was for a 1.1 mile tow to my house.
Second time when my gl1100 died on my Alaska trip. Again, Gwrra was only 1 phone call and the tow truck showed up w/in a very reasonable time.
It also covers you in a car.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:38 pm

After years of paying a lot of money for AAA coverage, I decided to drop them. A MA includes some coverage with their membership, but my autos and bikes are insured with Progressive. It cost me $14 to add towing etc., on the bikes( it's included for the cars) for up to 100 miles. I had to use it two weeks ago when I got a flat tire on the highway out of town. Forty minutes after I called, a flatbed showed up, took me and my bike to a nearby shop. Turned out to be a broken valve stem, and an hour and a half after I called. I was on my way again. I am a very satisfied customer and pleased with the service I got. A few years back, I waited on the side of the road for six hours waiting for AAA to send someone to load my bike with an unrepairable flat tire. Never again and there's no excuse for that sort of "service".

ghostvet
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A

1997 GL1500SE

Postby ghostvet » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:37 am

I have/have used GEICO Roadside Assistance. They will tow you home or to the nearest Honda dealership, whichever is closer. Not sure about the mileage limitations though, but I am satisfied with their coverage.

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Postby Harp » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:22 pm

AAA does not provide MC towing in my area.There is Motorcycle Rescue Transportation(www.mcrescue.farkasart.com) in the Cleve., OH area that is very reliable and only charged me $75 to tow it to my mechanic's shop-about 25-30 miles. That was with my 85 interstate. I bought a 2014 Wing that sold an "extended warranty" for only $200. Normally, I never buy these ultra-expensive insurance policies as they are rarely worth it. But, this warranty added complete vehicle coverage including towing and service to my nearest Honda dealer until 2021. For 200 bucks I felt that was worth it.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”