new member, new old wing.

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
koyote
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing SE-I
1994 Intruder 800
1987 Honda Helix (wife)

new member, new old wing.

Postby koyote » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:38 pm

New member! Christof, northern nevada (where 50 and 95 intersect). Currently ride a pretty nifty 94 intruder 800.

I have been looking for a more touring oriented ride, since I seem to keep going on these last minute 1000 mile weekend rides with my friends...
who all ride harleys... and an indian or two. But I am a bit of a metric head, so I stick with my zuk.

I was LOOKING for an older interstate, preferably a bare no options GL1100 interstate.

What I FOUND was a 1986 GL1200 SEI with everything, including original bags, cb and intercomm connections, all the little bits. Everything works. It was in storage for most of its life, was bought in 2010 and brought back to life- all the rubber replacements, tune ups. Current owner did a heavy gauge stator wire fix as a preventative. Most of the work has papers and was done by a decent local mechanic. (the list is long. fork seals, rebuilt master cylinder, vaccuum hoses checked and replaced as needed, etc etc)

couple paint chipped spots on corners of covers, 4 scratches. will need new tires relatively soon (not dead, but starting to get a bit dry).

15,800 miles.

$3500

Not what I was shopping for, it is about as non minimalist as you can get.

Test ride- well, it certainly is NOT my 470 pound chopper rake intruder with the hot running tune. Seems to ride nice enough. Harder to get into a corner than my intruder, otoh, sometimes the intruder seems to want to get into the corner all by itself. current owner said something about a slightly different tire profile "everyone uses" (also not his first wing. but his wife has decided that he is retiring to a bmw z3 due to age) but I haven found that tire thing mentioned yet. Found out his stator heavy wire fix should be okay. No issues with mechanicals or electronics.

So I put the deposit down and started the transfer of funds from my bike savings. I will be riding it this week.

Now I have to figure out what I DO need to look out for, pull immediate PMS on, and be careful about. The windshield seems ridiculously tall, but I guess that is normal. Couple buttons are sticky at times, but I know how to handle that. Lights are... very 1980s. I am going to have to do something about the headlight pretty quick. (HID? ultrastar and add a pair of driving lights somewhere?)

No photos yet, I forgot to save the CL photos before he took the ad down!

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: new member, new old wing.

Postby NVSB4 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:22 pm

First, welcome to the forum. Hope the deal works out for you.
Wings are different animals than any other bike as you can see.
The 1000 mile weekends won't leave you as tired as the intruder and you have a lot more room to carry things.

As far as preventive maintenance, remember that even with less than 16k, it's still a 30 year old bike.
First thing always recommended is to replace the timing belts. A belt snapping because it's that old is not worth it.
Otherwise, I would change all of the fluids and filters.
There are a lot of helpful How-To's here that you can look through.
Of course, if you have any questions, there are lots of people here willing & able to help.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:46 pm

Welcome, from the Deep Deep South. Be thorough with your maintenance, and you could have a life-long friend. Keep smiling as you burn up those 1000 mile trips.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

koyote
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing SE-I
1994 Intruder 800
1987 Honda Helix (wife)

Postby koyote » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:43 pm

NVSB4 - good point, and I did forget to mention that. Old timing belt was in good shape, but is in the saddlebag with the receipt from the maintenance- new on was installed.

I do make a point of changing all the fluids whenever I buy anything, even a riding mower. I have to remember the final drive, but I am used to a shaft. (do people use synth in the wings? )

redail: I am definitely hoping my (and my duaghter´s) comfort on the long rides goes up!

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:51 am

Goldwings are tough, and with the low mileage on your machine and its obvious good service history it should serve you well. And if it has spent its life in "dry as a stick" Nevada, rust shouldn't be a problem either.

Welcome.

The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”