Start-up for an old GL1000

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Start-up for an old GL1000

Postby Solina Dave » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:54 am

My '78 GL1000 hibernates out in my shed every winter, and every spring I try to wake it up as gently as possible. Anyone who has an early GL probably knows that they need a considerable amount of coaxing to get started after being frozen all winter. I usually just spray a little Quick-Start into the intake, and find that helps a lot.
One thing that I've often wondered about is, with the oil sitting low in the pan, and undoubtedly as thick as it's every going to be, and dealing possibly with several attempts to start the engine, there must be a considerable amount of lubricant starvation to the engine components, at least until the engine has started and is running fairly well. It seems to me that this wouldn't be good for component stress, and wear, although I've been doing it the same way for years without any obvious problem, so maybe there is no reason for concern. Who knows?
Anyone got any comments, or ideas in this regard, or techniques regarding your own start-up procedure?

Dave

"Assume Nothing"

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: Start-up

Postby Mh434 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:34 pm

Hook up a large battery, and spin it over for several seconds before introducing any fuel (or spray). That should get everything well oiled before the fire gets lit.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Re: Start-up for an old GL1000

Postby brettchallenger » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:15 pm

Yes, all that "coaxing into life" is really a blessing in disguise. If the engine fired up straight away then there might be problems with lubrication. But you, or someone, has kept it running for the last 32 years so your old Goldwing can't have suffered that much.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:41 am

It is a flat engine, so the oil is less likely to drain all the way, as the 'down hill' is not that long. This is a major contributor to the long-life of the engine. I would, in extreme cases - remembering that we get really really cold here if it goes below 0C, change the oil so that all that cranky oil is not present.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Postby maintainer » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:06 pm

With a hot battery, key on, kill switch off, hit starter button and spin her over for few times.
That will get the lubrication party started before initial startup. ;)
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Postby Solina Dave » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:19 pm

That's a good point Brett. Every spring, I need to turn it over, often many times, so that is stirring things up and moving oil around. That's in effect what Mh434 and maintainer were also suggesting. Just a different process, with a similar result. And Len, that simply confirms another point in regards to the Gold Wing's infinitely superior design, wouldn't you say?

All Gold Wing owners......"Take a bow!"........................................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:59 am

maintainer wrote:With a hot battery, key on, kill switch off, hit starter button and spin her over for few times.

Most modern bikes won't crank if the kill switch is off.

My method is simple: use synthetic oil. It has much better resistance against turning into a thick glob at low temperatures.

That said, spinning an engine with the starter does not actually induce that much wear, even with limited lubrication. It's when the engine starts, and the pistons are being forced very powerfully down by burning fuel/air mixture, pushing the crank against its bearings, that wear occurs.

The carburetor float bowls are empty after a winter lay-up. As a result, it takes a bit of cranking to get fuel pumped up to the carburetors, filling the bowls, and introduced to the engine. This low-wear cranking starts moving oil throughout the engine, so that by the time it actually fires off, you've got lubrication where you need it.

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Postby maintainer » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:12 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
maintainer wrote:With a hot battery, key on, kill switch off, hit starter button and spin her over for few times.

Most modern bikes won't crank if the kill switch is off.

My method is simple: use synthetic oil. It has much better resistance against turning into a thick glob at low temperatures.

That said, spinning an engine with the starter does not actually induce that much wear, even with limited lubrication. It's when the engine starts, and the pistons are being forced very powerfully down by burning fuel/air mixture, pushing the crank against its bearings, that wear occurs.

The carburetor float bowls are empty after a winter lay-up. As a result, it takes a bit of cranking to get fuel pumped up to the carburetors, filling the bowls, and introduced to the engine. This low-wear cranking starts moving oil throughout the engine, so that by the time it actually fires off, you've got lubrication where you need it.

Yes I know but I understood him to reference a GL 1000 and they will spin the motor with the start button while the kill switch is set to off.

1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

Return to “Goldwing Chat”