Age related Brain Fog

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Age related Brain Fog

Postby SilverDave » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:25 am

So after several months of being a home caregiver for my SO, I was invited out on an all day ride .( I am in my 70's) I knew after about 2 hours that I should have practised more, rested more , etc, etc, but I managed to get thru all the twisties and the rest of the day without dropping anything , except both gloves at a rest stop .
At the end of the day , as we rode our separate ways home, I reached out with my right thumb, to honk " Goodbye "
Hmmm... nothing .. I tried it again, and then just flashed my lights, and waved to say Goodbye .

I had been fooling around inside the fairing , in August to install a HID unit .. I guess I pulled a wire off the horn, or horn relay ..
Well Home again, a nice supper, a short beer , and a good nights sleep, before I tackle the horn problem.

So this morning ... out to start the electrical fault testing on the horn circuit .

and here's my conclusion : horns work 100% better, if you actually press the left hand horn button, instead of the right hand starter button .

LOL

An easy fix.
Now I'm going to work on the Nut that is holding on to the handlebars... If any fix is possible there ...

:(

SilverDave

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Re: Age related Brain Fog

Postby crock4 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:19 pm

SilverDave
I can relate to what you said. These things happen irregardless of age. Like when the bike won't start because you accidentally hit the kill switch, forget to put kick stand down, and fall over, or any number of other things that happen. We have to have a sense of humor, and I applaud you for yours. I wish you many more happy safe miles.

Bob
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:09 pm

I understand how preoccupied your mind can become taking care of someone you care a lot about. As much as a relief it can be to get away and do something anything your mind is still elsewhere. The relief the ride brought was probably priceless but you are always with that person until they are better.

bntyhntr6975
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A
2005 VTX1300C

Postby bntyhntr6975 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:17 pm

I had my Aspy on the center stand to check rear tire pressure (easier to just spin the wheel to where you need it). Checked fine so now we're ready to go. I rocked it several times but just couldnt get it off the stand. A buddy said "Hey, why dont ya try rocking it FORWARD?"
Worked a lot better that way.

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:12 pm

LOL! Welcome to the group :o Amazing what a little more thought will do. :lol:
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Postby Harp » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:45 pm

As an RN that has worked most of my career in ICU, Trauma,& Long term -ICU, you need to be aware that caregiver burnout is a very serious and real issue. Everyone needs a break. You should make sure that you get yours. Many times these services are offered thru county funded programs - you've paid a lot of taxes in your life, payback time, usually an area agency on aging or contact your local Social Services office to see if you are able to get access to respite care. Most often Medicare will pay for a trained individual to come in and provide care for a certain number of hours a month. In extreme cases, some patients may be able to be transferred to a care facility while the caregiver receives some much needed rest or a few days to travel. Everyone needs downtime!
Early in my career, I was working 5/ 12hr shifts back to back. Wanted to make a bunch of quick money while the hours were available. My boss called me in to the office and told me to take a weeks PTO, that I was burning out and needed recovery time before I started making bad decisions. Turned out she was 100% correct. I slept for 2 days and relaxed the rest of the week. I returned to work a new person, with a major lesson learned.
Best of luck in your future and please make sure you get some needed time for yourself. It is important, as well as a duty, responsibility and message of love to take care of ones family members, but no one loves you more than you!
Take care,
Harp :)

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks Harp ....

I am very aware of the caregiver burnout phenomena.. Thats why I was out riding , as she seemed much better that weekend ..

... and you are quite correct... and although she is on a shortening " wait list " for surgery, I resolved , in September to start taking care of myself on a regular basis .

Thanks for your kind and thoughtful words 111

SilverDave

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Postby Harp » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:52 pm

Glad to hear you're already aware of the issue and have it handled. Best wishes and good luck. If I was in your area, I'd come up & hang out while you get some time for yourself.
Harp

Return to “Goldwing Chat”