What to do in Miami

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Plumber8939
Motorcycle: 1996 1500se

What to do in Miami

Postby Plumber8939 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:48 pm

Anyone have any ideas on what to do in Miami the end of January? I'm flying in on January 20th for a cruise departing January 24th. We took the extra time to see some of Miami as we've never been there before. I've seen some of the excursions the cruise has in Miami including rides in the Everglades on an airboat , and also a marine park of some sort. The Everglades sounds like it would be fun but would it be better to find something ourselves and not with the cruise line? We don't have any idea where to stay either. I read some hotels offer airport pick up and port drop off. Any info would help. Thanks

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Re: What to do in Miami

Postby Harp » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:01 pm

I head to Miami for Jam Cruise every January, usually during the 1st week. We always stay at Holiday Inn PORT OF MIAMI-DOWNTOWN 340 BISCAYNE BLVD. It is about 15 min from the airport and less than 10 to the Port. Actually, right across the bridge, but not walkable
Across the street from the hotel is an open air mall that has the usual tourist trap stuff, but also a couple of great beer bars, a few good restaurants and access to the boat docks where you can book coastal boat tours, night tours, deep sea fishing, etc. We usually spend a day bar hopping & eating in the area.They have a few local restaurants as well as chains like Hard Rock & Bubba Gump.
Another place that is a cool cultural center is Little Havana. Any cab driver can get you there. You'll find street musicians - some sweet Cuban Jazz going on at all hours, bars, coffeehouses(Cuban Coffee is more like espresso x 10) , cigar shoppes with people rolling cigars where you can watch and Cuban sandwiches that are the best! Don't try to walk there. Miami is not the safest place.
A music club that I really like and is advertised as the oldest bar in America, is a joint called Tobacco Road. Lots of good singer/songwriter music & jam bands, drinks were reasonable and the staff was pretty cool. Again, make sure you take a cab back to the hotel if you go there. It's only about a half mile from the hotel, but we were warned by the bar & hotel that the walk is not safe, particularly if you've had a few.
Hope this helps. Really enjoy my annual visit to Miami. Service is always great wherever we go, people have always been very helpful and I usually need the break from a Cleveland winter.

Harp

Postby Harp » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:21 pm

Forgot to mention that if you're going a few days early, you might consider renting a bike( you can rent a GW in Miami) or car and taking a day or two in the Keys. Florida has some wonderful National Parks. Here's a link for more info - http://www.fla-keys.com/greentravel/pop_parks.htm
Miami doesn't have any inexpensive places that you would want to stay. You might find some reasonable rentals in the Keys via Craigslist. Again, good luck.

Plumber8939
Motorcycle: 1996 1500se

Postby Plumber8939 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:08 pm

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know about gw rentals. Also walking a short distance might of been my first choice. Any idea on where we can rent a gw?

Harp

Postby Harp » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:35 pm

Many rentals available. We rented a 5.0L Mustang convertible one year. Bike rentals were all over, including some dealers. I'd check on line. Planning ahead is important during Cruise season.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”