Tipover

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Pappy Wilson
Motorcycle: 1989 Pacific Coast
1981 Goldwing Interstate

Tipover

Postby Pappy Wilson » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:33 am

I had my first and hopefully my last accident with my baby. I was inching my 81 Interstate out of a gas station and some cager came flying in. Starled, I looked over. My front tire hit a bump in the concrete where they dump the fule and it whipped the bars hard to the left, which just happened to be down hill. In slow motion I was fighting to stay upright - didn't work. A slow lay down resulted in only a broken left mirror and bruised pride. I did find out that picking up a 700 lb motorcycle isn't to bad if you use good form. I found a new one at Cycle Giant for @ 20 dollars and it matches perfectly. Considering what could have happened I feel very frotunate.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Tipover

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:00 am

It happens to everyone eventually. Welcome to the club!

Mine was at a Denny's, with my daughter on the back, just after participating in the Cleveland Teddy Bear Run. We were just getting ready to leave, my wife was in her car next to us. I retracted the kickstand, checked we were good to back out of the parking spot, and my wife said something to me. I talked with her for a minute, and she asked if I could check on something for her. I leaned the bike back over on the kickstand, and whoooops.....no kickstand! I fought it for a second or two, but eventually gave into the realization that it was going over whether I wanted it to or not, so I not-so-gracefully hopped off and let it go down. My daughter hung on for dear life, and was still sitting on it as it leaned over at a 45 degree angle, sitting on the crash bars!

I got it back up quickly and we were off, no damage done except to my pride! :)

Jeeper
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Jeeper » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:35 pm

I was at a dealer during a customer appreciation day, so they had tons of people there, burgers, events, etc. This fellow rode in on a Ducati, pulled up to a group of people, stopped and for some odd reason never put a foot down. The bike proceeded to tip over with him on it. Had it been me would have had to leave for embarrassment.. lol

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:51 pm

I saw a guy do that once - see: Guy laid it down right in front of me

rickcardwell
Motorcycle: 1984 Gl1200I

Postby rickcardwell » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:36 pm

Goldwings are like people, they get tired and just wanna lay down for a few! :lol:

Jenkinsrawhide
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Goldwing with Champion trike

Postby Jenkinsrawhide » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:40 pm

Yep after laying mine over nine, yep 9 times, I had it triked. Cost me another 13K but sure feel safer.
I recall just how quick embarrasment will help you upright a motorcycle as quickly as possible. lol :D

Billy D
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 A

Postby Billy D » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:45 pm

Somewhere there are U-tube files on tipovers, right way to pick it up, moving the bike with out power, and a wealth of other good info. Can any of you give me the U-tube addresses for these informative sites? Billy D.

Jenkinsrawhide

Postby Jenkinsrawhide » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:04 pm

Plenty of comments on GolswingRiders.com OOPs, should be Gl1800riders.com sorry about that.
Last edited by Jenkinsrawhide on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:51 am

Ok ok... I guess it's confession week, on my trip back from SA TX to KS a few months ago I stopped to get some water out of the rear box and I had the bike still on, I open the box and closed it, somehow some way I tipped the bike over off the kick stand to the left side, I wasn't even on the flippen thing, I picked it up and placed the stand down then looked around to see if anyone saw my stupidity...No harm to anything, but I sure got a rush though then called myself a few bad names..the only thing I could figure is I didn't have the kickstand fully opened up when I put it down.. :(

Jenkinsrawhide

Postby Jenkinsrawhide » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:22 am

I think anyone who says they have never dropped theirs is either a liar.....or it just hasn't happened yet, but I am betting it will. One time with a group I pulled front first off the highway down in front of a bar b que joint and when leaving, had to back up the hill, but when I went to turn it, over she went. First time I ever dropped it, we were at the George Dickel Distillery which has a gravel horseshoe parking lot, slowed to about 5 mph in the gravel making the turn and over she went. One time dodged a water puddle on a parking lot and ...yep...over she went. Last time, leaving the rear of a motel that was built on a slope, passed a parked car whose alarm went off and had to slow before going around building and over she went. What was so embarrasing was the female owner of the car and her daughter helped me right it. Since I had it triked out, no more problems....yet.

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:12 am

I don't think anyone can top that, well... dropping it with your daughter still on it is a close second... :lol: And of course the distillery had nothing to do with nothing Right...

cwhonda
Motorcycle: 2001 goldwing

Postby cwhonda » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:01 pm

At seventy yrs old there is no such way as "good form" for picking up a goldwing
Most embarassing tipover, picking up a new girl fried got off bike forgot to put rest down. The rest of the night was pretty remarkable though!!!!!!

Jenkinsrawhide

Postby Jenkinsrawhide » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:09 pm

Yeah, I am 73 and agree that a new girl friend would sure help a long night! lol

cwhonda

Postby cwhonda » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:43 am

Yes it was a good night!!!! but somehow they seem to get rarer at my age

frostypop
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Postby frostypop » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:02 pm

well i dropped my 1100 a few times once with the wife on the back, didn't make sure stand all the way down...dropped the 1500 a few times trying to put in center stand, finally learned how to do that. dropped the 1800 once, after putting my stand up i leaned over to adjust the heat vent and lost her, thank God for the crash bars, saved repairs...oh the wife wasn't hurt so we had a laugh afterwards..

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:28 am

Dropped my 82 1100 twice. First time was at a stop light. It had just turned red and when I came to a stop, I put out my foot to steady it and there was one of those plastic changeable copy letters on the road. You know, those clear plastic letters on the signs you can change. it was the number 1, and it slipped and over I went. There was a Sheriff behind me, and he VERY quickly came out and helped me right it. He rode too and saw the letter I slipped on. I did learn to look very carefully before I foot down. Lesson well learned with no injuries or damage. And I dropped it in my driveway talking to my neighbor, forgetting of course that I hadn't put the stand down. It is a learning from these things that does come in handy for future saves.

Kiwi2
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500/6

Postby Kiwi2 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:10 am

Iv'e dropped mine twice. Once when stopping to take some photos of the other Wings coming down the hill behind me. I stopped the bike kicked the side stand down, got off, got the camera out ready to take the photo and heard this crash behind me ....... looked around and there she was just laying there and at the same time I heard the other Wings, so with a mighty heave the Wing was up and on the side stand with me taking photos of the other bikes ....... on one none the wiser.

Second time was on my drive way just after I had washed it and was moving it round a bit, and over it went on the left side, so slow and graceful just like a swan, but what a swine of a thing to pick up, I grunted, swore, heaved, strained, grunted some more, broke into a sweat and it was up.

I worked out that if you drop it when other people are round to see, then the Wing is very light, conversely when there is no one round then it is the heaviest thing going.

zamboni920
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE with Hannigan 2+2 sidecar

Postby zamboni920 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:16 am

Laid down my first Goldwing , 1977 GL1000 . Picking up my date....first time I was driving with a passenger, and first time she rode on a motorcycle. I sat on the bike and told her to jump on......well, she did it the way you would mount a horse, left foot on left passenger peg, then up and swing right leg over trunk. I found out a horse on four legs are a hell of a lot steadier than a Goldwing on two wheels :mrgreen: .

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:27 pm

Jenkinsrawhide wrote:Yeah, I am 73 and agree that a new girl friend would sure help a long night! lol

I ain't 73 yet, but I do not believe my wife would be understanding and forgiving if I got a new girl friend.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now to dumping motorcycles, not during accidents, but all by oneself... First time, many years ago, in a gravel parking lot, and I had just begun to pull out with the front wheel turned left, when another bike went zipping past the front of me, and of course, I grabbed the brake lever - down she went.

Since I got the GL1800, pulling in to my son's camping spot with the wife on the back, and the front wheel dropped in a hole. Tore hell out of my left bicep muscle trying to hold it up, but a half ton of motorcycle and a wife were too much for me. Down she went. I found that the pick up trick from You Tube works well... so well in fact that when it was time to put a new rear tire on, I put some cardboard down on the driveway, with a blanket on that, and lowered the bike onto it's right side (ergo: dumped in on purpose). Then extended the center stand to get it up a bit more and took the back wheel off. When the tire was changed, I reversed the procedure, and the bike was still easy to get back upright. Heck, dumping bikes takes great skill to do it right, Hawwwwwww.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

quikcarl61
Motorcycle: 95' Aspencade 1500

Postby quikcarl61 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:47 pm

I have dropped a previous 1500 I had twice, the first time at a stoplight, foot hit sand and away she went, there were only 2 lanes of traffic behind me with about 10 cars in each lane. Guy behind me in his minivan came and helped me hold it til I could get back around to get it off the road.The second time was in my basement putting it on the center stand, didn't quite get it up on the stand and she slowly went over on the right side, I only had about 2 feet of room between it and the wall, boy was I pissed, after about 2 tries, I got mad and just heaved it up and back on the stand which I did remember to put down before I picked it up unlike the first time. 2 kinds of riders, those who have laid it down and those who will lay it down. Nobody is immune.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:03 pm

Why is it so much funnier when a Harley guy drops his bike.. Once I was at a bike Rally in Tenn. and this older couple 70's [two women] were on a Harley and they went down on a slow turn, wasn't so funny that time, someone asked the driver if she was hurt, and she said, oh yes, My Pride is hurt bad..Maybe 200 people saw it. :shock: ... everyone and their brother ran over to help ... I just stood there like this :shock: and I walked around with that same stupid look on my face :shock: saying to myself oh man I hope they aren't hurt :shock: ...they were fine.. :lol: and the party proceeded..

cwhonda

Postby cwhonda » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:45 pm

My drive way is 5yds from turning onto the road and I do not want o publish my name and admit how many times I dropped my 1200 ( total embarrassment "REAL MEN DO NOT DROP THEIR BIKES"
The common theme, is "Going slow". How the hell are you going to hold up a half ton bike !!!!
Now with my super 1800 again going in traffic 40mph and hit a patch of gravel in Death Valley well after a helicopter helicopter medivac and six days in intensive care I have the complete answer 100plus MPH in a straight line never make a turn !!!!!
cwhonda

Phunnybone
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)
1983 GL650i Silverwing (Sold to someone who'll make it roadworthy again)

Postby Phunnybone » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:45 am

Glad I watched the video before I got my bike. First time I went to put it in the carport, over it went.

oldgold82
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100I

Postby oldgold82 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:44 pm

I tipped over my 82 interstate the second day I had it. I was going to back up to my garage door and shut it off and just never put the kickstand down. I may have yelled something that rymed with 'duck' and looked around to see if anybody saw me. Luckly it was pretty easy to right, that wide motor and crashbars really keep it from going over that far. I'm also glad my roomate didn't see me, I would have never heard the end of that. In my defense I hadn't ridden a bike for about 2 years and haven't owned one in about 4 or 5 years, so I was still getting used to things again.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”