I'm overwhelmed !!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

I'm overwhelmed !!

Postby made2care » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:41 am

Okay, I have never replaced head gaskets nor timing belts. I have read the how to's on this and researched as much as I can and to be real honest, I'm overwhelmed. This project is very intimidating and I don't want to dive into something that i will regret later. Heck, I don't even have the proper tools , valve remover kit etc and in addition, I really am still learning the vocabulary for various parts. I'm not a mechanic and the terms are quite foreign to me. I realize I can learn going through each step, but this does appear to be beyond my skill level. I was thinking along the same lines when I tackled my first waterpump replacement and that went very well, but this seems to be more complicated. What should I do? Has anyone been in my shoes and had a successful gasket repair after all this reluctance? Geeeeesh!!
the bike is a 1981 gl1100.

Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: I'm overwhelmed !!

Postby dingdong » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:56 pm

If you are just doing the head gaskets, don't sweat the other stuff like valves. May be nothing else needs addressing except taking the heads and having them cleaned. You won"t know until you pull the heads. If you are as meticulous I think, you will have no problem doing this. As for the belts..... easy peasy!

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”